GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/22/2022 11:50 pm  #41

Re: GW vs Washington State Thread

Team played great defense, the refs stole a W from us.  The call on Lindo was as BS as it gets. That's trash that guy shouldn't work another game this year.  Same guy missed the clear goaltending call.

Washington St had a 61 KenPom we went toe to toe with them and outplayed them

Brendan Adams in particular.  Great game from GW.  

12/23/2022 12:01 am  #42

a little surprised there isn't more positive sentiment here. we were huge underdogs and hung with a team that's supposed to be much better than we are. Overall we looked like a well-prepared, well-coached, and experienced team. I know that's a fairly low bar, but still a noticeable difference from the past three years even with mostly the same players. fwiw, even the wsu board acknowledges they got a break on the non-offensive goaltend. Jumped 13 points in kenpom after a loss, which probably doesn't happen too often.

12/23/2022 1:30 am  #43

Washington State was not very good.   But in the end, being outrebounded 39-26 (including 13-4 on the offensive boards) and our sloppiness cost us a game, along with, of course, a lack of depth.  (That was quite the 5 minutes for Samuels).

12/23/2022 6:48 am  #44

Really hard to understand how the refs missed that clear offensive goaltend--and a few other things
in the last minutes of the game. 
  Meanwhile, we were on the bad end of a few phantom fouls, as even the announcers noted.

12/23/2022 8:28 am  #45

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Washington State was not very good.   But in the end, being outrebounded 39-26 (including 13-4 on the offensive boards) and our sloppiness cost us a game, along with, of course, a lack of depth.  (That was quite the 5 minutes for Samuels).

It didn’t really cost us the game.  Pretty clearly the refs cost us this one.

Not being able to Gueye off the boards hurt us, but it didn’t cost us the game.  We deserved to win.

12/23/2022 8:29 am  #46

Impressed with how we played. Despite loss, there's a lot to be positive about. I hope we can build on this game.
I rarely like to blame refs, but they clearly blew it on the goaltending call. I think we win if goaltending had been called.
I still don't understand Clark getting minutes at the expense of Edwards. Max can grab rebiunds -- led team.
I like how Bishop played -- just wish he hadn't taken as many 3 pt shots. 
It will be interesting to see if we can play well tonight against Pepperdine.

12/23/2022 8:42 am  #47

Fantastic effort from the guys, especially on defense. Entertaining game. I don't think any of us suspected Hawaii had legalized goaltending, and you could kind of see the "GW ending" coming.
A few observances:
@ Defensive rotations were stellar, especially getting out on the shooters, but GW will always find a way to lose on a hustle play where we turn them over but the ball squirts away and finds an opponent's best 3-ball shooter for a wide open make.
@ Brendan is putting together a really nice season, provides good decision making, stellar FT shooting (swoon), key 3s and even some midrange take I didn't know he had. Nice to know he's an option when JBIV is being shut down. Running curl plays for him to get him driving layups, which forces defenders off him to create space for his 3s. Teams have to account for him. That only helps James.
@ Collins (SLU) is one of the best guards in America but GW has the A10's best backcourt. JBIV and Adams have developed very complimentary skill sets. What's changed since last year? Hmmmm..... leads me to my next point:
@ Totally sold on CC. Great demeanor and temperament, solid substitutions, VERY solid in-game adjustments (like, did you guys see we actually SCORED OUT OF A TIMEOUT), team looks motivated, confident and unified.
@ Probably because he's new and wants to cultivate a career in which he's not seen as a constant whiner, CC has been pretty reserved and diplomatic with calls, but maybe too reserved, as when Noel Brown is wearing Gueye like a bank safe dropped from a 30-story building, our winning basket is denied by goaltending, and JBIV is fouled by 3 guys and the Wazzou Pep Band with 0:00.01 left. Will be interesting to see what finally makes him lose his mind for a bench T.
@ Max is fitting in well. Which is to say, incredible effort, knows his role, coachable, Swiss Army knife ... and good for 3-4 boneheaded "overeager" mistakes per game. He'll have a great career at GW. Plays much bigger than he looks. Needs to keep his head up.
@ We're actually getting some nice post play from Noel and Hunter. Credit CC for appropriate usage and putting them in position for high percentage FGA. I love that play where they get it to a guy in the short corner who hits Dean charging down the lane for a power dunk.
@ Been watching him for 3 years now and still not sure about Ricky's +/-. So many dumb fouls and decisions and really poor body language. If he gets jobbed once by the officials, his night is over (and he always seems to get jobbed by officials).
@ Other than Max, EJ and whatever platoon CC's using at the 5, there's no bench. RIP Keegan, Daniel, Amir, Q.
@ Speaking of EJ, absolutely love his disruptive energy on D and ability to run point. Should concentrate on being a penetrator and not so much a distance shooter. Maybe it's his number but he reminds me a little of Travis King: energy, defense, solid quarterbacking.
@ Too many 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th shots for WSU throughout. Being noticeably better on the glass in the second half was key to the comeback. Gueye had a much tougher time as the game progressed.
@ Lost 95% of the hustle plays. Loose balls and "lucky breaks" all went to WSU.
@ Credit JBIV for maturing into a total team leader who doesn't need to take 25 shots a game to have an impact. On the other hand, he needs to take over at crunch time by getting into the lane for his midrange game, drawing fouls or kicking out to shooters. Be the guy.
@ Noel is improving, and I'm sure his consistently getting and converting early plays in the block (I think he hit his first 3 shots via designed plays last night) really rattle an opponent's scouting report.
@ All of us will watch our team play in obscure bandboxes via cable channels dialed in by a mix of alchemy and aurora borealis exposing us all to Joe Namath nose hair clipper infomercials before strangely disappearing overnight, but participating in (and in 2016, winning) holiday events like this attracts the casual alum and should not be underestimated in terms of fan base impact, win or lose. Which is to say, good show (and send out the solicitations).

12/23/2022 9:10 am  #48

No margin for error for this team. Rebounding margin was glaring. Boxing out on defensive board is and has been a big problem so far this year. Team cannot afford sloppy passing that led to numerous WSU baskets. But in the first time in years I see a coach making adjustments as the game goes along. Hopefully the players will learn to box out, stop unforced turnovers, stay focused and stop stupid fouls (especially our big guys). Can't trust refs, so don't let them get the opportunity to screw you. Maybe instant replay causes a delay, but if we had it we would have won the game.

12/23/2022 9:50 am  #49

Free Quebec wrote:

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

It didn’t really cost us the game. Pretty clearly the refs cost us this one.

Not being able to Gueye off the boards hurt us, but it didn’t cost us the game. We deserved to win.

Blaming the refs is too easy.  Fact is, Washington State did not look like a very good team, at least last night and GW played poorly, at least on offense, for nearly the entire game.  We had to claw back in most of the game and never really had what it took to take control of the game down the stretch.  We put ourselves in the hole early by allowing too many 2nd, 3rd and even 4th chances early on.   We were unable to stop Gueye for most of the game and missed 15 of our 18 three point shots.   We also also sloppy throughout, especially turning the ball over during that last possession.    And yes, we did get a bad bounce on WSU's last possession that led to their wide opened game winning 3 pointer, but I do not believe that the game was called so one sided to cost uas the outcome.  Don't get me wrong...GW played hung touch against a power conference opponant.  After the first 10 minutes or so, the defense was generally very good.   

12/23/2022 10:08 am  #50

So if I understand things correctly, and am basing the following on Tom Crean's commentary, had the offensive goaltending call been made as such, then the refs would have had the option of going to the monitors to review but because goaltending was not called, this option was unavailable.

Someone has to explain the wisdom or logic behind this.  Are we saying that if the call was goal tending, there is a chance that what actually happened may in fact not have been goal tending, but if the non-call was "no goal tending", there is no chance that what actually happened may have in fact been goal tending?  Utterly absurd.

The general point of replay reviews in sports was never to make sure that every single call in a contest is made correctly.  It was to always to make sure that an egregious call did not alter the outcome of a game.  An old Steelers-Oilers playoff game comes to mind.

That WSU basket is EXACTLY the type of play that needs to be reviewed.  A pivotal play within the game's final two minutes.  Again, let's go back to why replay reviews exist in the first place.  It's to make sure that what happened last night to GW does not ever happen to any school or team.

Frankly, I did not think that Ricky's 5th foul a few minutes earlier could have been topped.  I'll agree with the analyst that if a few of the senseless ticky tack calls on Ricky do not take place earlier, then he's not fouling out.  But, this is besides the point.  Any player's 5th foul had best be a clear foul.  Ricky was boxing out an opponent and doing nothing more.  It was an atrocious call.

Did James get fouled with under a second left?  Honestly, I thought this was hard to tell based on the camera angles shown.  I can't get too worked up about this considering how slim our chances were of winning at this point.

Surprisingly, I thought the officiating was quite good up until Ricky's 5th.

The discussion of whether the team lost because of the refs or the rebounding is a foolish one.  Are these things really mutually exclusive?  Rarely does a team ever lose due to one thing and one thing only.  Yes, we were in it at the end but if GW holds its own on the boards all game, maybe they are up by 7 rather than down by 2 at halftime and it becomes a totally different game.

It was great having Hunter back but he was clearly showing lots of rust early on, when we were being taken advantage of on the boards and down low.  His competitive instincts took over in the second half when he looked much stronger.  Getting baskets from Noel is a bonus but who wouldn't trade those for having a defensive enforcer in the paint?  Like many, I loved that James was interested in passing the ball on a night when he was being very well-defended.  Nevertheless, it bears repeating because it continues to be so true...5-7 shooting from 2, 0-7 shooting from 3.  JBIV's poor three point shooting is made that much more glaring by how efficient a scorer he is taking two point shots.  It is like this most every game.  

I feel that Brendan has gone from last season's X factor (we are in the game when he shows up) to a truly steady performer.  Hard to know how much of this is Brendan and how much is due to coaching but it really doesn't matter.  Max has become this year's X factor.  We will be in a lot of games when Max plays a complete game.    Am enjoying EJ but was very disappointed to see what I believe was a 93% free throw shooter last sesaon miss a crucial one in crunch time.  Plus, is he really in single digits on free throw attempts so far this season?  We have to find a way to get a great free throw shooter to the line more.  Ricky is Ricky.  Talented.  Skilled.  Keeps both teams in the game.  Almost always.

Q was awful, Amir was very limited and Keegan did not play.  It's just not at all the depth that CC would like.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (12/23/2022 11:38 am)

12/23/2022 11:49 am  #51

I wasn't suggesting that the refs did not ultimately cost us the game.  The goal tending (non) call was a tough one that had a major impact on the outcome, no doubt.  But I do agree that the officiating was generally good.   Even so, Washington State did what they needed to do...have everyone crash the boards in a one possession game late in the game, and we did not keep them off the boards, putting them in position for those extra opportunities.   Still, my generally point was that if we played better through. out the game, we would not have been in that position.    Ricky simply needs to stop picking up silly fouls.  We are not deep enough to lose players to foul trouble. Based on at least on how they were playing, I probably would have looked to Adams down the stretch rather than Bishop.  He shot much better, is a better free throw shooter and is probably the better ball handler of the two.  Although this isn't the year, I can easily see Max as the "go to" person next season.    In a comedic moment, Hunter took probably his deepest shot of the season (excluding free throws), approximately 10-12 feet.  I good reminder why he generally shoots only layups and dunks.

12/23/2022 12:27 pm  #52

I have to agree mostly with LSF here. You can't give up 13 offensive rebounds and expect to win. Those led to 13 second chance points which by the way is probably a little lower than expected - offensive rebounds lead to the highest points per possession. In a close game that was more a difference than the blown call.

Board footera