GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/09/2023 3:04 pm  #41

Re: GW vs UMASS Game Thread

BM wrote:

I've watched a whole lot of GW coach press conferences over the years.  Caputo is already my favorite.  To the point with great basketball nuance and minimal coachspeak, plus humor thrown in.

Absolutely agree with this 100%, as they say.

His press conferences are so confidence inspiring.  His point about how UMASS was taking away the pass in the second half and we had to drive it was so interesting and on point. It’s also so refreshing it after 3 years of captain platitude to hear that kind of in depth analysis. 

I also loved his comment about how the only way to get better at free throw shooting is to get better free throw shooters.

Last edited by Free Quebec (1/09/2023 3:05 pm)

1/09/2023 3:24 pm  #42

Free Quebec wrote:

I also loved his comment about how the only way to get better at free throw shooting is to get better free throw shooters.

The fact that Ricky and Hunter have gone from 60% FT shooters to almost 80% helps.  

1/09/2023 5:05 pm  #43

Agree about the press conferences as well as the coach's television show too.  CC is a straight shooter, very knowledgeable, with a good sense of humor.  As nice a guy as Jamion is, he often came off as a salesman who you wanted to trust but could never be 100% sure whether you should.

1/09/2023 8:14 pm  #44

BM wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

The fact that Ricky and Hunter have gone from 60% FT shooters to almost 80% helps.  

We are now 29th in the nation in FT shooting, in large part thanks to their improvement.  All 5 starters shooting above 75% right now, which makes it very hard to foul us late when we have a lead.

1/10/2023 4:21 am  #45

Gwmayhem wrote:

Agree about the press conferences as well as the coach's television show too.  CC is a straight shooter, very knowledgeable, with a good sense of humor.  As nice a guy as Jamion is, he often came off as a salesman who you wanted to trust but could never be 100% sure whether you should.

I was speaking with someone who has spent time with our previous coach and you hit the nail on the head--he has those positive personal attributes. We also have to see another plus that we got with CC, a guy learned how to build  a good staff. He had a deep phone book. They did what they could to keep players on the squad at the announcement.

I have to remember how far Noel's game has come in one year, His understatement of the  defense  keeps growing, He is a season behind Dean, Last year, Dean couldn't play so many minutes without fouling out. The word will be out after this season that the transfer portal will be our friend.

We will be leaning heavily on Harris and Q and the staff will be looking for times to sub in Harvey.

1/10/2023 9:44 am  #46

russianthistle wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

I was speaking with someone who has spent time with our previous coach and you hit the nail on the head--he has those positive personal attributes. We also have to see another plus that we got with CC, a guy learned how to build  a good staff. He had a deep phone book. They did what they could to keep players on the squad at the announcement.

I have to remember how far Noel's game has come in one year, His understatement of the  defense  keeps growing, He is a season behind Dean, Last year, Dean couldn't play so many minutes without fouling out. The word will be out after this season that the transfer portal will be our friend.

We will be leaning heavily on Harris and Q and the staff will be looking for times to sub in Harvey.

Interesting distinction.  I don't believe that CC had previously worked with any of the assistant coaches he hired.  He brought in guys who were either knowledgable about the A10, knowledgable about DMV recruiting, or both.  CC has a ton of contacts; he either knew these guys or knew of them via mutual connections.  By contrast, JC had worked with both Devlin and Bousley in the past.  (Nima was the exception.)  JC may have been comfortable working with coaches he had previously worked with, but their collective experience may not have been as strong a fit for what this program needed.

Assuming the incoming CC recruits are as good as advertised, there would appear to be an enormous difference between the level of talent CC perceives to be needed in order to be successful in the conference and the level that JC felt was needed.  Either that or JC just couldn't recruit this level out of high school, with JNJ and Brayon being the exceptions (the transfer portal is a different story).

Board footera