GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2023 10:21 am  #1

GW to Announce New President Today

Introduction at 2 pm today

1/11/2023 10:31 am  #2

Re: GW to Announce New President Today

Hopefully the the President -Elect will be competent, and among other items will be interested in increasing the enrollment of highly qualified students, will raise the academic standards to be accepted, will reinstitute the SATs as part of the application process, and ensure the Athletic Department obtains increased funding... all of which have suffered.  

1/11/2023 10:59 am  #3

Mike K wrote:

Hopefully the the President -Elect will be competent, and among other items will be interested in increasing the enrollment of highly qualified students, will raise the academic standards to be accepted, will reinstitute the SATs as part of the application process, and ensure the Athletic Department obtains increased funding... all of which have suffered.  

All of which also speak to bettering the undergraduate experience which has all but been neglected.  I get that grad programs/certifications are easy money-makers, but if you're looking to have an engaged alumni base, start with making GW a fun place to be for four years.

1/11/2023 1:52 pm  #4

Ignoring the competitive strengths to attempt to turn the University in to a generic STEM school while spending so lavishly on expansion and acquisitions that overworked staff are forced to take cuts was a death spiral (who could have predicted that?). So hopefully the new President has a wiser agenda.

Livestream of the announcement here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCkD48TEGW8

1/11/2023 2:07 pm  #5

@GWtweets 12m
The Board of Trustees announced today that Ellen Granberg, Ph.D., has been named the 19th President of the George Washington University.

She is the provost and senior vice president for Academic Affairs at Rochester Institute of Technology.  Not exactly a sports powerhouse.

Ellen Granberg, Ph.D., to Serve as 19th President of the George Washington University | GW Today | The George Washington University (gwu.edu)

Last edited by GW0509 (1/11/2023 2:09 pm)

1/11/2023 2:22 pm  #6

Dr. Ellen Granberg is the 19th President of The George Washington University. I doubt she will approach campus rape with SJT´s "teach girls not to drink" attitude. California raised (like me, GOOD!), child of a lawyer (like me, REALLY AWFUL!), worked for PacBell (boo!), history and sociology background (better than being an MBA beancounter), women´s team is undefeated with her wife in attendance at the Smith Center (VERY GOOD, so long as she keeps bringing the good karma).
Basically, the feeling I get is that she is far less dismissive of staff and faculty than prior Presidents (although if this is sincere or just introductory platitudes remains to be seen). No real substantive policy plans laid out and I did not see a University pin on her lapel (I will let the Fox"news"ians here go hysterical about that one).
Let the new era begin and let The George Washington University be better than it has ever been when it has ended.

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (1/11/2023 2:24 pm)

1/11/2023 2:26 pm  #7

Her (relatively limited) social media presence seems pretty full of RIT Hockey and Clemson Football, so she certainly celebrates athletics. Now she's in a position to decide whether she invests in it.

1/11/2023 3:04 pm  #8

On a athletic positive note she did say her wife (a big sports fan) attended the women's game and happily announced that we won. Also that she has to attend all games now

1/11/2023 3:51 pm  #9

Florida Colonial wrote:

On a athletic positive note she did say her wife (a big sports fan) attended the women's game and happily announced that we won. Also that she has to attend all games now

Now that is a positive note!

1/11/2023 4:26 pm  #10

The first woman president in the school's history.  Another "welcome to the 21st century", GWU.

RIT is not a sports powerhouse but Clemson, where she worked for 20+ years, is.  I picked up on Florida Colonial's observation as well.  If Dr. Granberg's wife is a huge sports fan, this hopefully is not a bad thing.

My hope is that she sticks around for a while.   SJT stepped down in 2007 and this will be the 4th President we've had since then (including Interim President Wrighton).  Considering that the school has only had 19 in its history, some stability should go a long way.

1/11/2023 4:46 pm  #11

Gwmayhem wrote:

The first woman president in the school's history.  Another "welcome to the 21st century", GWU.

RIT is not a sports powerhouse but Clemson, where she worked for 20+ years, is.  I picked up on Florida Colonial's observation as well.  If Dr. Granberg's wife is a huge sports fan, this hopefully is not a bad thing.

My hope is that she sticks around for a while.   SJT stepped down in 2007 and this will be the 4th President we've had since then (including Interim President Wrighton).  Considering that the school has only had 19 in its history, some stability should go a long way.

Dead on Mayhem! Stability is required. Hope that there is a place for what GW does well and that coming from RIT (Go Tigers) doesn’t mean STEM is only thing on the agenda.

1/12/2023 12:44 am  #12

From what I've heard about her as an administrator and sports fan, I am pretty excited. I half thought they might name Wrighton permanent.

Board footera