GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/18/2023 7:21 pm  #481

Re: GW New Moniker Discussion

The Insurrectionists would also fit squarely. We can claim victory if we're winning at halftime and never have to lose.

GWRising wrote:

You all didn't like my suggestion before but it fits squarely with the following:

• Shaping the Future: This will honor GW’s long history developing students into leaders, doers and thinkers.
  • Free to Be Bold: This will symbolize the university’s trailblazing spirit.
  • At the Center of Power: This will reflect the energy and drive that brings the GW community to Washington, D.C., to be changemakers on the world stage.

The Wokesters!

Our Mascot can be an undefined entity that wears the bumper stickers of the latest cause much like you used to see in the 60's/70's with those vans adorned with bumper stickers.

Think of it this way   ... if you mess with our mascot you will be cancelled and what better way to virtue signal to the World that GW is the place to be.

Last edited by Hugh (1/18/2023 7:25 pm)

1/19/2023 1:05 am  #482

While I was not in favor of getting rid of the Colonials name in any way, shape or form, I will play this game.

Earlier this evening I submitted a name that I felt could work.  I was inspired by the team mascot for my son’s college in New York, Pace University. They have named themselves the Setters.  As in the Pace Setters.  The first time I heard that, I laughed out loud for sure.  It was clever. But it also stated a very important way of thinking for the University.  It’s a name that is meant to be inspirational to students and at the same time is something that tells the world what’s important to the University.

With the criteria set by GW for the name change, I thought about what they were trying to get across. What is a name that inspires thoughts of leadership? Of shaping the future? Of being bold? Of being at the center of power?   What invokes the spirit of George Washington?  Of his leading the Colonial Army?  Of being the first President?

My suggestion that I submitted:  The Vanguards.  . 

With multiple definitions I’ve found, it works on several levels:

1. The foremost division of an army.
2. The forefront in any movement, field, or the like
3. Any creative group active in the innovation and applications of new concepts and techniques
4. The position of greatest importance or advancement
5.Cutting edge

That is my suggestion.

1/19/2023 1:44 am  #483

Hugh and BGF-good stuff.

1/19/2023 8:30 am  #484

Every time I keep running through a list of new monikers under the principles above, Colonials keeps rising to the top compared to all others that could be potentially subject to objection from one loony professor.  The most satisfying of my disfavored monikers would be the "Beacons".  Beacons of freedom. liberty, and hope. But that is too metaphorically close to Ronald Reagan's vision of DC as a "shining city upon a hill," so that's probably a disqualifier as well.

1/19/2023 10:25 am  #485

Based on the criteria I doubt we go with an animal-based mascot.

I saw on Twitter someone put the school's announced "principles" into that AI bot and it came up with Titans.  Very bland but makes sense. 

I could also see the following:
Senators
Monuments
Federals
Explorers (doubt we'd pick a new name that's already used in the A-10 but I think Explorers would make sense given the criteria)
Giants
Trailblazers
Buff-and-Blues

1/19/2023 10:38 am  #486

Believing they all fit the criteria set out by the university, I submitted the following:

Truth
Justice
Righteous

1/19/2023 11:07 am  #487

You left out "and the American Way" although that might too nationalistic!

1/19/2023 2:15 pm  #488

This has nothing to do with GW-but my all time favorite moniker-and I still can’t figure out precisely why-
is the”Wonder Boys”of Arkansas Tech.Just makes me smile.Feels joyous to me.

1/19/2023 2:45 pm  #489

moneybox wrote:

You left out "and the American Way" although that might too nationalistic!

That's very funny.  I should have made righteous the second suggestion so as to avoid the school thinking about Superman!

1/19/2023 4:06 pm  #490

BGF wrote:

While I was not in favor of getting rid of the Colonials name in any way, shape or form, I will play this game.

Earlier this evening I submitted a name that I felt could work. I was inspired by the team mascot for my son’s college in New York, Pace University. They have named themselves the Setters. As in the Pace Setters. The first time I heard that, I laughed out loud for sure. It was clever. But it also stated a very important way of thinking for the University. It’s a name that is meant to be inspirational to students and at the same time is something that tells the world what’s important to the University.

With the criteria set by GW for the name change, I thought about what they were trying to get across. What is a name that inspires thoughts of leadership? Of shaping the future? Of being bold? Of being at the center of power? What invokes the spirit of George Washington? Of his leading the Colonial Army? Of being the first President?

My suggestion that I submitted: The Vanguards. .

With multiple definitions I’ve found, it works on several levels:

1. The foremost division of an army.
2. The forefront in any movement, field, or the like
3. Any creative group active in the innovation and applications of new concepts and techniques
4. The position of greatest importance or advancement
5.Cutting edge

That is my suggestion.

Love the Vanguards option, very clever. I wonder if Vans would give us a corporate sponsorship. Do they make basketball shoes (lol)?

1/19/2023 6:24 pm  #491

Maybe if you guys keep whining they'll change it back to Colonials...

George Washington Fog is my pick

1/19/2023 7:35 pm  #492

The Foggy Bottoms take the court. 

1/19/2023 8:16 pm  #493

"Whiners", what say you about being told you're whining over this issue?

1/19/2023 9:11 pm  #494

While my beloved fraternity house was razed to put up a parking lot, there are two things that are constant, Quigley's and Leo's, and both have likely been in their respective venues for some half a century or more. Perhaps we can get one of them to offer a corporate sponsorship; hence, teh GW Egg-salad sandwiches.
or for those who recall the bygone Quigley's menu c. 1968, when Walter was the french fry guy, and you vied for a seat at the counter, the GW Twist.

1/20/2023 12:01 pm  #495

I too am irritated at the change from Colonials, particular the reasoning, and now the overly "big brother" guidance on what the name should be.  I suppose "Buff and Blue" is the best so far, however I am sure there is a slightly depressed nudist out there who will be offended.  Off Topic: To Class 'o 70, my fraternity house next to Quigleys' was also razed (PSK).  Class of '69.

1/20/2023 12:38 pm  #496

What about the 89ers? The NBA has the 76ers and the NFL has the 49ers, so why not?

2/02/2023 6:12 am  #497

https://twitter.com/david_korn4/status/1620995842449473537?s=20&t=9qjMuuSqjQGInuODKlEIrQ

Student focus group. According to the tweet, the Fog is an early favorite

2/02/2023 6:56 am  #498

2/02/2023 9:22 am  #499

Every one of those names, outside of The Fog and Cavalry, are either horrific or embarrassingly bad. "The Buzz", "Independents', "Ambassadors", "Monumentals"....who thought of those and why were they allowed to contribute?

2/02/2023 10:06 am  #500

I do hope that someone from the committee who will make final recommendation is actually monitoring this board. I would like to personally volunteer to sit in on any kind of focus group that might be done with fans who are not under the age of 22, you know, the ones that donate money and are expanding the GW brand into the world, you know, now.

Board footera