GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/24/2023 1:08 am  #1

Former bars of Foggy Bottom

Not exactly basketball-related, but I saw some friends from college I hadn't seen in a long time and we talked about former bars in Foggy Bottom. What are some places you remember?

For me, late 90s-early 00s Lindy's was the best, and then there were places like Tequila Grill, Lulu's Club Mardi Gras, Mr. Days the sports bar in an alley, Zei Club in a weird alley off 14th (there's still a Zei Alley sign!) and Odds, a crummy club type place near Dupont that didn't card. My buddy had his 21st birthday party at Tequila Grill and ended up at GW Hospital for alcohol poisoning. Oops. There was also the block of L Street of Penn with 51st State , Marshall's down the street, and I think there was some other bar near there called Fitzgeralds or some other name, then Dark Horse at 24th and Penn. I remember they took GWorld so you could buy beer with it. I think that place changed named a few times. And of course, the original Froggy Bottom.

And I got inspired and made a t-shirt out of it. 

[img]https://image.spreadshirtmedia.com/image-server/v1/products/T1130A771PA4328PT17X19Y66D1048684987W24925H9493/views/1,width=650,height=650,appearanceId=771,backgroundColor=f4f1e1/foggy-bottom-has-had-a-lot-of-great-bars-and-some-bad-ones-over-the-years-celebrate-these-famous-ones-from-the-past-with-this-great-shirt.jpg[/img]

1/24/2023 7:51 am  #2

Re: Former bars of Foggy Bottom

Definitely my era!  Very few good things happened after a night at Tequila Grill or Lulu's.  Very cool, I will pick up a couple.  

1/24/2023 10:23 am  #3

21st Amendment, Red Lion, Colonel Mustard's

1/24/2023 10:39 am  #4

The Black Rooster

1/24/2023 10:50 am  #5

Odds...pitchers of Kamikazes!

1/24/2023 11:19 am  #6

Really dating myself-Wayne’s Luv-21st and K.Opened in 67-can’t remember when it closed.I can’t 
remember a lot of things.Owned by Tommy”the Matchmaker”Curtis who later ran the more successful 
Yacht Club in Bethesda.Spent time with Mark Plotkin in Georgetown trying to pick up women at the “Guards”.
He was a master-me-not so much.

1/24/2023 11:25 am  #7

Was a big fan of 51st State and like everyone else Tuesdays at McFaddens for dollar beer night,  Didn't the bball team have a brawl at Lulu's (sometime between 03-05, I think) before it closed?

1/24/2023 11:28 am  #8

Local bars I remember from the early 1990s:

The Exchange
GG Flipps (Odds)
Mr. Henrys
Red Lion
Dome/Washington Cellar
Lulu’s
Black Rooster
Brickskellar
Big Hunt
Bar at Connecticut and K (can’t remember name, now Bravo Bravo)
Bar at 19th and M (can’t remember name, now a restaurant)

There were also a few in Georgetown we would frequent…

1/24/2023 1:34 pm  #9

Oh yeah, Black Rooster! I never went to Mr. Henry's but know folks who did, it's on the Hill, right, or was there another? Our Hill spot was Las Placitas, an El Salvadoran place that never carded. I lived next to the Brickskeller after senior year, it was dangerous.

Was the Conn. and K one the Big Hunt?

1/24/2023 1:50 pm  #10

squid wrote:

Oh yeah, Black Rooster! I never went to Mr. Henry's but know folks who did, it's on the Hill, right, or was there another? Our Hill spot was Las Placitas, an El Salvadoran place that never carded. I lived next to the Brickskeller after senior year, it was dangerous.

Was the Conn. and K one the Big Hunt?

Mr Henry’s was closed down for serving to minors (you could get in with a GW ID) in 92 or 93 and was later rehabbed into Froggy Bottom.

Big Hunt was further up Connecticut. The place I remember was on the corner just north of Farragut Square and was in the basement.

1/24/2023 2:14 pm  #11

19th and M was something like Rumors, I think.
Big singles place.

1/24/2023 2:44 pm  #12

jf wrote:

19th and M was something like Rumors, I think.
Big singles place.

That sounds right, and yes it was.

1/25/2023 10:31 am  #13

The Red Lion was the only campus bar and there is no debating this fact (especially when your people infiltrated the place as servers and exchanged free pitchers for excessively large tips nightly). The kind of place I went back to for pregame when I returned to DC years after graduating.

1/25/2023 11:37 am  #14

nobody remembers The Campus Club?

1/25/2023 11:42 am  #15

Bassin’s GW Inn
Pierce St Annex (not exactly on campus but quite a place in its heyday)

1/25/2023 12:03 pm  #16

21st Amendment
Mr Days
Mad Hatter on K street maybe
Brickskellar.
GH Flipps (odds) easiest to get in with no ID
Even remember a few beers on the top floor of the former student (formerly Marvin)  Center (not sure what it has been renamed)

1/25/2023 1:04 pm  #17

BC and Wisconsin Colonial -Remember the Campus Club and Bassins.I lived in Crawford Hall in the mid-sixties and thought that Bassins was way off campus!!!19th and Pennsylvania?18th?

1/25/2023 1:09 pm  #18

PKGW wrote:

21st Amendment
Mr Days
Mad Hatter on K street maybe
Brickskellar.
GH Flipps (odds) easiest to get in with no ID
Even remember a few beers on the top floor of the former student (formerly Marvin) Center (not sure what it has been renamed)

Was the Rathskellar (or "The Rat")

1/25/2023 4:10 pm  #19

Sign of the Whale. I think it was on L Street? I do remember it was next door to a gentleman's club which I may or may not have frequented once or twice.

1/25/2023 4:55 pm  #20

The Sign of the Whale is still there.  The two gentlemen's clubs next door were, I've been told, Camelot (still there) and Joanna's (renamed I think).

Board footera