GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/17/2023 11:18 pm  #201

Re: Other Games Thread

Kansas St beats Kansas in OT, classic of a game.  Alley oop dunk to Keyontae Johnson, the Florida transfer who passed out on the court then missed two full years.  

What a moment

Dayton Richmond and VCU all won, along with Saint Louis looks like a clear top 4 in the A10 this year

1/18/2023 7:56 pm  #202

Our record could be at risk.   Florida has just 12 points at the half at Texas A&M, on just 2-26 from the floor. 

Hopefully they get at least 9 points in 2H 😂

1/18/2023 10:30 pm  #203

Seton Hall beats #5 UCONN at the buzzer, first big win for Shaheen Holloway at Seton Hall

Despite these recent lossees UCONN remains  #6 KenPom, #49 for Seton Hall who are looking bubbleish

1/19/2023 9:51 pm  #204

Minnesota and Jamison Battle with a brutal showing against Purdue. Minnesota scored a total of 39 points and Jamison went 0-9 in the game. Unfortunately, Battle has taken a slight step backwards this year averaging 4.5 less ppg and 2.5 rb less than last year. FG % has dropped nearly 10 points and 3pt% has dropped 5 points.

Update: Sounds like he's recovering from a back injury

Last edited by MG14 (1/19/2023 9:52 pm)

1/20/2023 12:33 am  #205

Gonzaga's 76 game win home streak is over after 6 straight seasons of wins, lost by  a point.  

1/20/2023 10:17 pm  #206

VCU wins at Richmond by 12, they've put themselves back in the clear top 2 of the league along with Dayton

1/21/2023 3:42 pm  #207

TCU 83 Kansas 60.  At Kansas

Think Pittsburgh would like the Jamie Dixon decision redo?

1/21/2023 10:19 pm  #208

Fordham won at Duquesne  

15-4, 3-3 in league play for Fordham.  

Loyola beat The Bonnies, their first A10 win.  

1/23/2023 9:14 pm  #209

Duke lost again, to Virginia Tech, who came in 1-7 in a down ACC

Is Duke still "Duke" Post Coach K? or do they revert to just another program

1/24/2023 9:19 pm  #210

Georgetown ends its 29 game conference losing streak by beating DePaul tonight.

1/24/2023 9:47 pm  #211

MG14 wrote:

Georgetown ends its 29 game conference losing streak by beating DePaul tonight.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day
Every dog has his day

Etc....

1/24/2023 9:49 pm  #212

Joe Bamisile sighting in the Oklahoma v TCU game.

1/24/2023 10:22 pm  #213

Georgetown came real close to blowing the game, they had a 12 point lead with about 2 minutes left, DePaul pulled within 3 with seconds left but a Georgetown player hit 2 free throws to put the game away. I definitely thought Georgetown was going to choke the game away. DePaul was probably their best shot at winning a Big East game.

Bamisile got in because Oklahoma was getting crushed by TCU. Imagine how good GW would be with Bamisile? When he transferred, I didn't think it was that big of a deal because I thought GW would be below average regardless if he stayed, but seeing the team exceed expectations up to this point changes everything.

The Dude, good question about Duke, I saw a stat on ESPN indicating that Duke rarely had this many losses(6) at this point in any season under Coach K. The times it did happen, Duke missed the NCAA tournament or was a low seed. The season after Coach K had his back surgery(1996??), Duke was just an 8 or 9 seed. It seemed as if Duke was a number 1 seed in the NCAA tournament for the next 15 years after that season!! LOL

1/25/2023 3:59 pm  #214

Thomas, Duke is hardly a G'town where the entirety of the success was under a single Coach but nor are they Kentucky and Kansas so it will be really interesting to see.

I'm thinking it will be like UCLA after Wooden, more peaks and valleys and far less consistently dominant than they were most of the last 4+ decades.  Also, interesting choice in Scheyer.  A continuity choice but a guy with zero experience outside of his Duke assistant days.   Interesting pick instead of prying someone like a Matt Painter.

Pretty stunning to see them in the 30s KenPom.   

1/27/2023 2:11 am  #215

Speaking of stunning....  Louisville has a KenPom of 300

1/31/2023 11:03 pm  #216

Fordham beat Saint Louis 75-65    Fordham is 18-4.

Some notable non Power 5 Standouts this year, KenPom:

UCONN   #6
St Mary's #7 
Gonzaga #14
Dayton is #56
21-1 Flordia Atlantic 37

Last edited by The Dude (1/31/2023 11:42 pm)

2/01/2023 10:16 am  #217

Last night, I attended Maryland's win over Indiana (the Terps gave a clinic on how to play defense).  Among those at the game included Scott Van Pelt, Gary Williams (seated next to and slightly behind SVP) and Jimmy Patsos seasted next to Gary.  Shortly before the game started, Mike Locksley came over to say hello along with someone who from a distance (I was in the lower bowl but on the other side of the court) looked very much like Chris Caputo.  He seemed especially friendly speaking with Patsos which of course makes sense.  But of course, CC's team would have presumably been in Philadelphia by then as they face La Salle tonight.

Can anyone who might know for a fact confirm whether this was CC at the Maryland game?  On one hand, I would have thought that CC would have been with his team the night before a game.  On the other hand, he could have easily attended a high school game earlier in the day, drove to CP for the Maryland game, and then drove or took the train to Philadelphia late at night.  I realize that there are tons of guys who likely look like CC from a distance.  Really, I am nothing more than curious.  (FYI..there was definitely a Mike Lonergan sighting as well.)

2/01/2023 2:05 pm  #218

Unlikely also, though may be recruiting, Asst Coach Zak Boisvert looks a lot like CC, often
leading to confusion. Could have been either, or someone else of the many who have that look.
Interesting ML was there.

2/01/2023 4:51 pm  #219

I was at the game also. I saw Patsos and Lonergan together at one point, and saw Coach Williams and SVP chatting together.
I didn't see CC there and seriously doubt he would be at a Terps game during the season anyhow.
As for HS games, I often see local college HC's at HS games even the night before their game. LaSalle is only a couple hours away so that kind of distance wouldn't prevent a college coach from attending a HS game to recruit or show love to a target.
Willard is doing a great job in his 1st year at MD. He's doing it with Turg's players for the most part and if you follow the rule of some on this board, he gets a freebie in his 1st year anyway.
On the other hand, maybe CC was there to inquire about any future openings on Willards staff for next year!

2/01/2023 5:08 pm  #220

I must have missed Patsos and Lonergan together at the game Joel,  Jimmy was front and center (hard to miss) sitting next to Gary (to his right) and the ESPN announcers (to his left) the whole night.  They did pregame together at Bentleys before the game though.

Board footera