GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/25/2023 6:31 pm  #21

Re: Former bars of Foggy Bottom

Camelot was second rate compared to the “Good Guys” on WisconsinAve in Glover Park.Those were the days my friends.Lived at Wisconsin and Tunlaw for two years and just would have to stop in for a drink and the show.

1/26/2023 3:53 pm  #22

Bassin's
Marocco's (sic)
The Rat (skellar) atop Marvin Center had several truly memorable evenings in its day
Brick's (skellar)
The Fireplace (topless joint on opposite corner near Brick's)
Mr. Henry 's (near Campus on PA Ave)
21st Amendment
Venus
One Step Down (jazz joint on PA Ave near 25th)

1/26/2023 3:59 pm  #23

GW69 wrote:

Camelot was second rate compared to the “Good Guys” on WisconsinAve in Glover Park.Those were the days my friends.Lived at Wisconsin and Tunlaw for two years and just would have to stop in for a drink and the show.

Spealing of Glover Park, Good Guys was I believe right next to "The All Night Bakery".  Remember that?

1/26/2023 4:03 pm  #24

BC wrote:

nobody remembers The Campus Club?

I absolutely remember Campus Club, that despite its name (was populated much by "townies" from Northern Virginia and its location (I believe G Street betwwn 19th and 20th), was not really a campus bar.  It was a frequent stop for me.  25 cent drafts.  Could get pretty wasted for $2.00.

1/26/2023 4:06 pm  #25

WisconsinColonial2021 wrote:

Bassin’s GW Inn
Pierce St Annex (not exactly on campus but quite a place in its heyday)

Wisconsin Colonial "owned" Pierce Street Annex.    Many a night I went home sad and lonely while Wisconsin Colonial would go home with a new "one and done" friend.

1/26/2023 4:11 pm  #26

You recent GW graduates (meaning anyone under 60 years old) failed to appreciate how good you had it.  When I attended, Foggy Bottom closed down by 9:30 pm, which was when things were just getting going.  If you had the munchies, you generally had to get in a car and visit the Amy Joy Donuts on New York Avenune  NE or the aforementioned All Night Bakery.  Maybe Union Station for a candy bar.  We would have killed to have had a Seven Eleven on Campus, yet alone all fo the late night food options.

1/27/2023 10:46 am  #27

No mention of The Bottom Line?  That was a fun bar.

Some of us met our future spouses at Rumors (said very sheepishly and without an ounce of pride)

The freshman circuit included The Exchange, Abbey Road, and another bar very close to Abbey Road whose name I am forgetting.  In practically no time, you came to learn that there were two types of people in this world:  The Exchange clientele and the 21st Amendment clientele.  

My two favorite bars were the 21st Amendment and the Vous in College Park (sorry CP haters but those kids knew how to have fun).  Both are long gone.

There was a bar, I believe either on 19th, 20th or 21st streets, that served free peanuts and had peanut shells all over the floor.  Can anyone come up with the name?  (Not a trivia question...I just can't remember.)

1/27/2023 11:38 am  #28

I think the bar with peanut shells on the floor was called something like EE Wolensky's or did the 21st amendment have peanuts?

1/27/2023 11:42 am  #29

Once we were willing to go more than a few blocks away, it was Tune Inn, Irish Connection, Mr. Eagan’s and Giorgio’s (underground) on 20th just south of N st. I used to pester bartenders for Rye whiskey and that was one of the few places that had it. Old Overholt, which should have been called Old Overcoat.

1/27/2023 2:33 pm  #30

Block or Charge wrote:

I think the bar with peanut shells on the floor was called something like EE Wolensky's or did the 21st amendment have peanuts?

Definitely not the 21st I am thinking of.  I spent a great deal of time at that establishment.

EE Wolensky's?  Maybe?  It's not ringing a bell but then again, I can't remember the name .

1/27/2023 11:13 pm  #31

Deja Vu, Blackie's, The Greenery, Flaps, Gambits

1/28/2023 4:05 am  #32

Special prize for anyone who can recall the name given to the incredibly disgusting area located in the basement underneath HARRIGAN's on Wisconsin Ave, which existed for a relatively short but spectacular period as a more low-life neighbor and competitor of GOOD GUYS,  located just a block or so up the street.   One night at this place, which had two small stages for dancers (typically ones too high, drunk, strung out, or otherwise impaired to be performing on the upper level), the toilets were running and overflowing and the door to the men's room had been removed for some reason.   The loyal patrons just sorta waded up towards the open bathroom door jamb and fired away in that general direction when nature called.   Truly an all-time low in "entertainment for the discerning gentleman" never to be approached before or since that night circa 1970.  Will reveal the unforgettable name of this particular nightspot as posted next to the descending staircase in a few days........

1/28/2023 7:17 am  #33

vegasvic wrote:

Deja Vu, Blackie's, The Greenery, Flaps, Gambits

Epic first post!

Hadn’t thought of Deja Vu in 30 years.

1/28/2023 8:53 am  #34

I knew of "The 21st Amendemtn" but did not frequent it.  Still, it is my all time favorite name for a bar.   Things were much different when us old farts were at GW as we did not have to stray far from campus to do our drinking, as the drinking age was 18.  Not only did GW frequently sponsor "mixers" in which beer and wine were served, but one of my favorite social activities was the mixers sponsored by the local Catholic girls schools such as Trinity, Dunbarton and Marymount (in Arlington).   Still, a shout out has to go to GW's own Rathskeller, located on the 5th floor of the Student Center.   Live music on the weekends, beer and wine coolers, and you didn't have to go far to stagger back to your dorm room.   A special shout out will go to whomever could identify the bouncer at "the Rat" in the early 1970s.  Hint...he was a former GW basketball player who if memory served me correct has since passed away.

1/28/2023 10:45 am  #35

He was a good player and teammate of Bob Tallent. He has passed away. I’ll let someone else name him.

1/29/2023 10:31 am  #36

Ralphie- I’ve been waiting!Love to know the answer.

1/29/2023 2:16 pm  #37

Gusti's on the corner of 19th and M across the street from Rumors.  $1 bottles of Michelob.  For starving students at the bar free pizza squares from the restaurant.

1/30/2023 10:07 am  #38

It’s Bill “one punch” Knorr. Ask Furman.

1/30/2023 12:44 pm  #39

The 21st Amendment was my introduction to the Tom Collins. Why Tom Collins, you ask? I have no idea. But I do remember downing a good dozen one night and leaving them behind in a  stairwell in Thurston. Haven’t had another in 40 years.

There was quite a row of interesting things on the block with the 21st. A “luggage and loan” pawn sho, a uniform shop, a parking lot, a cinema (Circle Theater, I think), and a liquor store where you could get a case of Natty Bo or Iron City for $3.99 on occasion.  Extra credit if you remember the name of that legendary store.

Last edited by Alum1 (1/30/2023 1:25 pm)

1/30/2023 1:47 pm  #40

It was Gillies I believe. They also had quarts of Iron City for 50 cents. Don't forget the first rate Science Fiction bookstore that was also on the block. Remeber going to the Circle theatre for triple features like The Last Wave, Greaser's Palace and Jimi Plays Berkley which would take up half a day. For bars it was Mr. Henrys, Red Lion, BRickskeller, Crazy Horse in Georgetown and Dimetri's and the other greek resturant next door on M Street.

Board footera