GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/28/2023 3:44 pm  #41

Re: GW vs Fordham Game Thread

It may be injuries, we may be tired, but we are just stinking the gym out now.

1/28/2023 3:44 pm  #42

only down 13.

1/28/2023 3:46 pm  #43

Fordham players are laughing at us now. sad

1/28/2023 3:46 pm  #44

Fordham doing a great job overplaying our guards and forcing the ball into the hands of Dean way too much or to Lindo  from the three.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (1/28/2023 3:48 pm)

1/28/2023 3:49 pm  #45

Guards are exhausted -Fordham pressure wearing us out

1/28/2023 3:52 pm  #46

79-66

1/28/2023 3:53 pm  #47

Not a shock.  Really physical defense, plus Adams injury, wore us down.   There’s a reason Fordham is 17-4 (well, other than easy OOC). 

Road game at LaSalle won’t be easy, either, but it’s an important one to get us back on track.

1/28/2023 3:53 pm  #48

Another wonderful turnover. 81-66

1/28/2023 3:54 pm  #49

We have completely unravelled..   The bad part of not sucking is that the losses hurt again.

1/28/2023 3:54 pm  #50

7 turnovers by Bishop is not good at all.

1/28/2023 3:56 pm  #51

Now 8 turnovers

1/28/2023 3:57 pm  #52

Guards couldn't handle the pressure at all

1/28/2023 3:58 pm  #53

Back to the old GW.  No D. 85 points?

1/28/2023 4:09 pm  #54

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

It may be injuries, we may be tired, but we are just stinking the gym out now.

I disagree. GW DIDN’T stink. A thin team had a chance with about 10 minutes to go when both teams were missing shots and couldn’t stretch the lead. They just lost.

I’m trying to have zero expectations not bc I embrace the “at least they tried Smell the flowers bullshit” but in recognition of what an on court disaster they’ve been since winning the NIT.

If this year featured a deep team that could really play I WOULD agree with this take. That is not this team. This deserves our irrational support. RAISE HIGH!!!!

Last edited by FredD (1/28/2023 4:19 pm)

1/28/2023 4:17 pm  #55

Hard to win games when you shoot 25% from range and 62% from the line. Wasn't able to watch the game so I can't say much else besides that.

Can anyone explain to me why Caputo continues to give Lindo the green light from 3? He's shooting under 25% for the season and would be so much more useful boxing out and fighting for offensive rebounds. He can't spread the floor so why are we trying to act like he can. He has a high motor, is a good rebounder, and can make tough 2s. Leaving him out their does nothing but hurt his game.

Also, at this point, Qwanzi should not be shooting the ball unless it's a layup. Shooting 20% from 3 as well.

1/28/2023 4:52 pm  #56

FredD wrote:

I’m trying to have zero expectations not bc I embrace the “at least they tried Smell the flowers bullshit” but in recognition of what an on court disaster they’ve been since winning the NIT.

If this year featured a deep team that could really play I WOULD agree with this take. That is not this team. This deserves our irrational support. RAISE HIGH!!!!

I’ve gone back and forth on how critical to be on the team. Not only is this CC’s first year, the entire team except for Max are not his guys and then he’s had 2 guys go down with season ending injuries and one player portal out of town. On the other hand, the team clearly can play well against any team and ultimately its CC’s job and the player’s goal to win games.

I’d say Fordham definitely deserved to win today and we decided to panic as soon as Fordham came all the way back with about 10 mins to go. Take it as a learning lesson and come out with some attitude against bottom dweller La Salle.

1/28/2023 7:47 pm  #57

Just watched the game.

I won’t say that it would change the outcome, but I am curious about one thing, because it seems to be a repeated theme for many games this season and is under the coach’s control. 

We’ve got the ball with 49 seconds left in the first half and a nine point lead. The possession arrow favors Fordham—likely to start the second half.  Presumably, the worst case scenario is going into halftime up by six.  Instead, Bishop launches a 30 foot trey within four seconds, Fordham converts on the other end with a three and another turnover leads to a basket narrowing the gap to four at the half.  I think we still had a use or lose timeout at that juncture.  Was the goal to put the pedal to the metal or would you rather have calmed things down before the half and bank your success.  This could be confirmation bias, but I’m sure that we’ve mismanaged the clock poorly in the last 30 - 35 seconds a number of times this season and given up possessions/points that never should have materialized.  Of course, If Bishop hits the bomb, no one cares, but I’m on the side of using a timeout and setting some clear parameters of what we are trying to achieve in the last half-minute.

1/28/2023 8:02 pm  #58

Yep. Poor clock management. Gave Fordham momentum.  St. Joe's game was the same. Just luck we won that game. I think CC mentioned that.

1/28/2023 8:59 pm  #59

CC needs a better strategy to staunch the hemorrhage of these frequent double digit runs by the opposing team. It’s happening virtually every game and we seem to be content to sit there and watch the house burn. It’s not as simple as calling a time out, I realize. Maybe he’s got to think about pulling a guy when they race down the court for a pull up 25 footer instead of slowing it down and giving the offense a chance to set. Would help on the wear and tear front too. I know we’re thin, but coach needs to use some of these transgressions as teachable moments in my view.

1/28/2023 11:11 pm  #60

Merrick wrote:

Just watched the game.

I won’t say that it would change the outcome, but I am curious about one thing, because it seems to be a repeated theme for many games this season and is under the coach’s control. 

We’ve got the ball with 49 seconds left in the first half and a nine point lead. The possession arrow favors Fordham—likely to start the second half.  Presumably, the worst case scenario is going into halftime up by six.  Instead, Bishop launches a 30 foot trey within four seconds, Fordham converts on the other end with a three and another turnover leads to a basket narrowing the gap to four at the half.  I think we still had a use or lose timeout at that juncture.  Was the goal to put the pedal to the metal or would you rather have calmed things down before the half and bank your success.  This could be confirmation bias, but I’m sure that we’ve mismanaged the clock poorly in the last 30 - 35 seconds a number of times this season and given up possessions/points that never should have materialized.  Of course, If Bishop hits the bomb, no one cares, but I’m on the side of using a timeout and setting some clear parameters of what we are trying to achieve in the last half-minute.

The first shot was because we were going 2 for 1, which is analytically sound. Few collage teams do it and I love that we do, especially because bishop can make a basket in that situation.

As for the turnover, I think it was just a mental error by Lindo.  He actually caught it in rhythm at the three point line with I think 6 or 7 seconds left and started to shoot, but then thought better of hoisting a three with time left on the clock so he changed his mind, but then got sort of caught with no move to make and turned it over.  I think Lindo was trying to make a smart play, but it backfired.

Board footera