GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/02/2023 10:15 am  #1

Updates on GW/EEOC Lawsuit

This probably will unfortunately end up in Rewind but figured it was newsworthy. 

The Hatchet has a story (EEOC, GW tangle in dueling filings over bias suit – The GW Hatchet) about the EEOC filing a motion for summary judgment in the case alleging Patrick Nero favored a male "special advisor" by paying him twice as much for the same responsibilities as a female employee.  

The copy of the EEOC's motion can be found here: eeoc_case_summaryjudgement.pdf (gwhatchet.com)

2/02/2023 10:32 am  #2

Re: Updates on GW/EEOC Lawsuit

"Special male advisor" LOL 

2/02/2023 1:34 pm  #3

WTF

2/02/2023 2:15 pm  #4

"Simply put, Williams worked as the assistant to the athletics director, while Aresco worked as an assistant athletics director," GW's November motion states.

Reminds me of The Office when Dwight referred to himself as the Assistant Manager and Michael Scott consistently corrects him by saying he's the Assistant to the Manager.

On a serious note, I know everyone's entitled to a defense, and innocent until proven guilty and all that good stuff, but when you've been exposed on video and by a journalist as a sexual predator, at least in my book, you do forfeit any benefit of the doubt.

2/02/2023 2:16 pm  #5

It appears that Nero screwed this program in so many ways we may just be learning about all of them. Sad really.

2/02/2023 3:12 pm  #6

I love it!
Nero is "the gift that keeps on giving"!
I heard that GW has an attorney on retainer who just works on issues involving Nero.
Maltzman was the genius who thought he could snuff out all the Nero drama by paying him $1.3 million to go away quietly.
Keep raising high GW!

2/02/2023 4:20 pm  #7

Everyone's entitled to their defense, which may offer a different version in this case and any other, but 1) the situation beyond this could be worse than the bad things the world already knows. And 2) Don't know much about the EEOC, but this seems like they are laying out the results of the investigation that is severely damning to the athletic department at the time, according to the complaint.
    The EEOC states that the hiring was done without anyone else considered and the University flagged the deal and it was done anyway.
    This is just one reference: "After Athletics selected Aresco for the Special Assistant position, Defendant’s system flagged that Aresco’s salary was out of range, necessitating review by Kayer and the Compensation Department. Kayer and Compensation concluded that the Special Assistant salary was too high but approved it anyway because, as Kayer testified, paying Aresco $77,000/year for the Special Assistant job was what the Athletics Director wanted. EEOC SOF ¶¶ 148-167"
  The complaint also comments on the preferred hire's ability to do the work.
     Also, they tried to fire the woman who is pursuing the complaint, according to the EEOC, if I read  correctly. And in her case, the complaint says "Nero began to ask Williams to perform more menial tasks, including personal errands. EEOC SOF ¶¶ 224-229. For example, in August 2015, the same month Nero announced Aresco would move to Administration, Nero asked Williams to go to his home to wait for Comcast to hook up his cable. Nero later asked Williams to pick up his medication, pick up his tuxedo from the dry-cleaner, and get him coffee."
    The odd thing is the university threw $1.3 million at Nero rather than GW fighting it, despite all of the issues swirling around him. And after Lonergan getting around $3 million after he felt he was wrongly dismissed (and it is at least imaginable that he felt he had leverage).
    Yet, GW hasn't apparently moved to settle this for someone who was making (rightly or wrongly, as the complaint alleges) $40,000 a year. Why not settle with her?
     Probably the same reason, GW laid off janitors, etc. in the financial crunch.

Last edited by jf (2/02/2023 4:20 pm)

2/02/2023 5:22 pm  #8

"go away quietly." Patrick Nero has not spoken publicly about his dismissal since day one that I am aware of.  I can't say the same for Mike Lonergan who received more than 2x the settlement Nero received.
Just saying.

2/02/2023 5:45 pm  #9

keithgreene wrote:

"go away quietly." Patrick Nero has not spoken publicly about his dismissal since day one that I am aware of.  I can't say the same for Mike Lonergan who received more than 2x the settlement Nero received.
Just saying.

Keith, anyone would be quiet too if they did the things Nero is alleged to have done ... just saying. Why should ML be quiet unless he is required to do so? Seems to me he is the aggrieved party here.

2/02/2023 6:01 pm  #10

GWRising wrote:

keithgreene wrote:

Just saying.

Keith, anyone would be quiet too if they did the things Nero is alleged to have done ... just saying. Why should ML be quiet unless he is required to do so? Seems to me he is the aggrieved party here.

The no-brainer of no-brainer explanations!

2/02/2023 6:28 pm  #11

Long careers were lost over this time.
The EEOC complaint is giving us a decent glimpse inside the machination of the Athletic Dept. at the time.
The public veil of silence on this whole thing should be lifted and GW, under new leadership should come clean. Might be more shocking than already recounted.

2/03/2023 2:48 pm  #12

I love the line that Nero was "in STRANGE social settings" with students - GW Hatchet's way of cleaning up "a pedophile stalking young vulnerable men thousands of miles away from home".

The law firm that GW has farmed this out to will eventually settle this to avoid more bad press - will likely come with a "confidentiality clause".

2/03/2023 3:17 pm  #13

When eventually a 30 for 30 comes out on this, God help us. Perhaps instead of changing the moniker now, they should wait until after the 30 for 30 when they will likely need to put the entire athletic department in witness protection.

2/03/2023 4:20 pm  #14

Is it amazing that there really hasn't been any real national publicity about the whole Nero saga, or are we all just too close to it so we (some of us) think there should be?

2/03/2023 4:27 pm  #15

Have either of them (Lonergan or Nero) been proven guilty or found innocent of what they were accused?  They both received "handsome" payouts which I am sure included "zip it, Skippy!" clauses to remain quiet. But did they? Don't hand me the "aggrieved" bullshit.  Fight it in the courts and/or in the court of public opinion and don't take a seven-figure settlement!

2/03/2023 4:57 pm  #16

It's stunning that this hasn't come out, except in Deadspin, especially in today's era.
   Keith, wasn't Lonergan maybe 50 years old and had to provide for a wife and 5 children?
A court case could have taken even more years. And the court of public opinion doesn't pay the mortgage.
You have no job, no future of a job in your field because of allegations against you--that you believe are taken in reprisal for whistleblowing which already went nowhere and you feel left you in this situation. Now, you have a choice between $3 million to support your family and tilting at windmills. Which would you choose.
  GW, which hasn't covered itself in glory in this (and other areas), should come clean and let the facts come out. Haven't other universities done that in related-type situations?
Speaking of which, haven't fully read the filing, something like 65 pages, but skimmed most. There's some really interesting stuff in there.
Check out the middle of the ones in the alphabetical listing.
There is an allegation about recruits that Deadspin that believe had mentioned, and about how Mary Jo Warner, a respected name in the GW athletic community for decades, was said to be driven out, according to the complaint.

2/03/2023 5:10 pm  #17

jf wrote:

..... and about how Mary Jo Warner, a respected name in the GW athletic community for decades, was said to be driven out, according to the complaint.

This definitely happened. Amongst other former administrators

signed,
used to be on the inside

2/03/2023 6:31 pm  #18

Mayhem, Deadspin has a national (and International) following. Back in 2016, I recall the article having something like 300,000 - 400,000 views. Regardless of that, every college and HS player and coach in the Country was aware of what happened and saw the creepy videos of Nero trying to ride that young man like a bull aka Urban Cowboy style.

In addition, the principal journal read by AD's around the country had an article with a less than flattering article when, as GW put it, "resigned to pursue further opportunities".

Greene, we could use more "fans" who post here about our team in the middle of their season and not just when Nero is mentioned.

Mary Jo Warner just adds to the list of those victimized by Nero. GW is doing what all other institutions would do - follow the advice of the lawyers and say nothing until the story suffers a slow death.

As a result of those terrible decisions made back then, we are now hopefully beginning to crawl back from almost 7 years of futility.

When we are back again, maybe I'll start contributing to the program again. My 1st contribution will be to sponsor locker stall, toilet stall or maybe a specialized e-game chair for the locker room! I got the idea from our very own Keith Greene YouTube videos soliciting donations. You are Hollywood ready my man!

2/03/2023 8:11 pm  #19

Joel Joseph wrote:

Greene, we could use more "fans" who post here about our team in the middle of their season and not just when Nero is mentioned.

When we are back again, maybe I'll start contributing to the program again. My 1st contribution will be to sponsor locker stall, toilet stall or maybe a specialized e-game chair for the locker room! I got the idea from our very own Keith Greene YouTube videos soliciting donations. You are Hollywood ready my man!

I'm sure you're not referring to me in your first comment above - I post somewhat regularly and not just about the past, which in general bores me.  

Insofar as giving to the university and to the Buff & Blue Fund, I'm proud to do so.  You don't have to if you don't want to, but I do and I do.  So, drop the criticism if you would.

And let's agree to focus on 2023 and thereafter and let go what is the past.

2/04/2023 5:42 pm  #20

What a fun hill to die on Keith. I wish you well

Board footera