GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/03/2023 1:07 pm  #101

Re: GW vs LaSalle Game Thread

Gwmayhem wrote:

We are making it easy on defenses to key on JB and BA because we've been playing 4 on 5 offensively.  This description has been applied when Amir is in the game but it's no different with Hunter and Noel as well.  Hunter can score off of offensive rebounds and on an occasional pick and roll, and Noel can finish breaks, but in a conventional half court set, neither poses any threat to shoot the ball.  

For things to improve, this needs to change.  There's no reason why Hunter can't sink a 12 foot jump shot or why Noel can't make an occasional post move.  Neither makes any attempt to do these things.  If either or both can pose a realistic threat to score in this manner, defenses will need to stay honest which in turn will free up JB or BA.  Think about how many times a high pick is set and that on the roll, both defenders stay with the guards.    Now picture Hunter catching a pass 10-12 feet from the basket and rather than automatically hand it off to a guard, he sinks a straight-up jump shot instead.  Can't promise that it will work but the offense has become so predictable, it's time to add some wrinkles such as this.

Two different staffs have tried at this point to get Hunter more aggressive offensively. I'm just not sure it is going to happen. He can shoot it better than he has shown but for some reason chooses not to or does not have the confidence to do so. He could be the X factor for this team by providing another threat. Unfortunately, absent some huge change, I think what you see most nights is what you are going to get from him.

As to Noel, he is also largely who he is at this point. He can make a play here and there but can't do it consistently.

To be honest, neither player was recruited to the be the guy in the post. So essentially you have two backups who we need to give us starting quality minutes day in and day out. Perhaps we should all adjust our expectations for both. We are likely asking them to do more than they reasonably can on a regular basis.

2/03/2023 1:32 pm  #102

Brown and Dean both get plays run for them in the first half: Dean usually gets at least one score off a screen and roll; Brown gets a play where guards being overplayed on the perimeter throw a diagonal pass into him in the lane and he actually has to put it on the deck and drive. Both these plays work the first time, because there's no help off the guards. In fact, these plays are probably run more to get heat off the guards than to rely on post scoring, which makes sense when you see how this goes as the game progresses (which is to say, they're so gasses they'll miss dunks no matter how wide open the overplay makes them). I think both players have improved and both benefit from our guard oriented offense, but to say either will ever be anything but a diversion from BA and JB is probably not going to happen. Of the two, Dean clearly has the ability to make a 10- to 12-foot lane jumper. But neither should dribble. Ever.

2/03/2023 1:38 pm  #103

I have more of an issue with Ricky clearly game-planned to take several corner 3s a game, which defenses allow with pleasure given his 20% 3FG ("There's a reason you're open."). Other than flashing through the lane for a pass, setting screens for a shorter pick and pop, or picking up garbage points in a scrum or press, Ricky simply should never shoot. Same with Samuels. Stand there with it, let a guard run behind you, hand it off and either let them hoist or dive to the rim.

2/03/2023 2:11 pm  #104

Mentzinger wrote:

I have more of an issue with Ricky clearly game-planned to take several corner 3s a game, which defenses allow with pleasure given his 20% 3FG ("There's a reason you're open."). Other than flashing through the lane for a pass, setting screens for a shorter pick and pop, or picking up garbage points in a scrum or press, Ricky simply should never shoot. Same with Samuels. Stand there with it, let a guard run behind you, hand it off and either let them hoist or dive to the rim.

Ricky is not game planned to take corner threes. I can promise you that. Rather Ricky is open because well Ricky hasn't hit those shots. Until he starts making them, he will continue to be open. 

2/03/2023 2:55 pm  #105

GWRising wrote:

Mentzinger wrote:

Ricky is not game planned to take corner threes. I can promise you that. Rather Ricky is open because well Ricky hasn't hit those shots. Until he starts making them, he will continue to be open. 

So is the coaching staff getting on Ricky's case about taking threes and asking him to stop, or are they still giving him the green light?  The killer in all this is that Ricky is shooting over 69% from the field on his two point attempts.  Ricky is an intelligent player but when it comes to this issue, I really believe that he wants to prove to scouts that he has the ability to shoot from distance.  Attempting less than three from downtown per game is hardly the difference between GW winning or losing most games.  Nevertheless, I believe we've more than reached the point where if opponents are inviting you to take wide open 3's and you are still fairly consistently missing them, it's time to look for better shots. 

2/03/2023 3:04 pm  #106

Gwmayhem wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Mentzinger wrote:

So is the coaching staff getting on Ricky's case about taking threes and asking him to stop, or are they still giving him the green light?  The killer in all this is that Ricky is shooting over 69% from the field on his two point attempts.  Ricky is an intelligent player but when it comes to this issue, I really believe that he wants to prove to scouts that he has the ability to shoot from distance.  Attempting less than three from downtown per game is hardly the difference between GW winning or losing most games.  Nevertheless, I believe we've more than reached the point where if opponents are inviting you to take wide open 3's and you are still fairly consistently missing them, it's time to look for better shots. 

He was never given the green light from three. But when you only really play five and you have no other options hard to drive the point across that you are a far better player when you play inside. To keep kids accountable, you need a real ability to sit their ass on the bench for long periods. CC doesn't have that ability. Absent Ricky doing something terrible, he is going to be in that lineup regardless. So I am sure while CC likely doesn't want Ricky to shoot threes, what can he really do about it?

Board footera