GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/04/2023 5:43 pm  #21

Re: Updates on GW/EEOC Lawsuit

Side note I hope these lawsuits continue. Keep them coming till Forest runs away (lol get it) and Tonya is outta there. They backed a pedo creep. That’s the find out you get from all that effing around.

2/04/2023 5:50 pm  #22

Was today's game so bad that nobody wants to talk about it? Yes!!!

2/04/2023 7:14 pm  #23

Today's game exemplifies why we still need to talk and GW needs to face up about our self-inflicted wound.
And the carnage it caused to lives and careers, as well as the program and its fanbase.
  Some of which,though hardly all, is popping up right now in a court filing.
The still-lingering damage was readily apparent today, six plus years later.

2/04/2023 8:22 pm  #24

Skittles wrote:

What a fun hill to die on Keith. I wish you well

I never enjoyed Skittles candy.  They always left a sour taste in my mouth.

2/06/2023 9:00 pm  #25

2/07/2023 9:31 am  #26

I find it interesting that reporting on this matter consistently points out that Nero's departure from GW had nothing to do with this EEOC complaint, while NEVER offering an explanation as to why Nero did depart GW.  I believe the reason given at the time was to pursue other career opportunities.  How's that working out? 

To anyone inclined to defend PN or feel that he's taken enough crap here, he hasn't.  No 50 year old sexual predator taking advantage of vulnerable young men (who very likely abused his power in the process by allegedly paying a player, as well as this EEOC complaint) could ever take enough flak as far as I am concerned.

2/07/2023 10:35 am  #27

Enough already.  Let's bury the Lonergan-Nero story line and focus on the future.  Let the EEOC complaint play out and then you can make any comment you want.  EEOC investigations are done at quite a different level than a Deadspin article.

2/07/2023 10:59 am  #28

keithgreene wrote:

Enough already.  Let's bury the Lonergan-Nero story line and focus on the future.  Let the EEOC complaint play out and then you can make any comment you want.  EEOC investigations are done at quite a different level than a Deadspin article.

Am not referencing the Lonergan-Nero story line which involved Lonergan blowing a whistle on Nero and GW backing the wrong party.  Am happy to leave Mike out of this discussion; in fact, I hadn't referenced him.

Let's also not conflate separate incidents Keith.  Your post reads as if Nero would be not guilty of anything and everything if the EEOC is unsuccessful.  The EEOC case has nothing to do with anything that was alleged in the Deadspin article.  Which, by the way, was researched and written by a credible journalist.  And, which included a video that, in the best case scenario for PN, did not exactly help his cause.

Gotta go with Skittles on this one...this really is some hill to die on.

2/07/2023 12:24 pm  #29

Gwmayhem wrote:

keithgreene wrote:

Am not referencing the Lonergan-Nero story line which involved Lonergan blowing a whistle on Nero and GW backing the wrong party.  Am happy to leave Mike out of this discussion; in fact, I hadn't referenced him.

Let's also not conflate separate incidents Keith.  Your post reads as if Nero would be not guilty of anything and everything if the EEOC is unsuccessful.  The EEOC case has nothing to do with anything that was alleged in the Deadspin article.  Which, by the way, was researched and written by a credible journalist.  And, which included a video that, in the best case scenario for PN, did not exactly help his cause.

Gotta go with Skittles on this one...this really is some hill to die on.

Of course, everyone is entitled to a defense but there is enough smoke here to suggest some fire here at best and at worst, we have towering inferno. Either way, GW (the institution) and other individuals have been burned by this conduct whether reputationally or legally. 

2/07/2023 12:45 pm  #30

keithgreene wrote:

Amen.

In the absence of just letting this go, could we at least keep the discussion fact-based? Between the ML firing and the EEOC action, it seems to point to a pattern of a disfuncional Title IX office more than any of the wild accusations being tossed around here (not that disfunctional Title IX enforcement is a good thing).

2/07/2023 12:49 pm  #31

Keithgreene stop being a Nero apologist. I have given more money to GW and the hoops program that I care to think about. We all have a voice and can have our opinions.
Nero literally ruined this program single handedly. Here we are almost 7 years later and he's still the topic of conversation. This discussion will stop only when our program is brought back from the hell hole and we start to win again (and when he stops making the news). I said long ago it would take a decade. Time is proving me right.

2/07/2023 12:59 pm  #32

Joel Joseph wrote:

Keithgreene stop being a Nero apologist. I have given more money to GW and the hoops program that I care to think about. We all have a voice and can have our opinions.
Nero literally ruined this program single handedly. Here we are almost 7 years later and he's still the topic of conversation. This discussion will stop only when our program is brought back from the hell hole and we start to win again (and when he stops making the news). I said long ago it would take a decade. Time is proving me right.

You certainly put the double-ess in a-double-ess-hole!

Last edited by keithgreene (2/07/2023 12:59 pm)

2/07/2023 1:10 pm  #33

The EEOC seems to have a strong position just based on the fact that  Aresco wasn't as "qualified" as Williams yet still made a larger salary.

Per Linkedin, Aresco changes jobs like suits. After GW, he worked at a charter high school. Not sure what his job the last month involves from his title. He goes from Nero's special asst/chief of staff of our athletic dept one day to working at a charter high school the next?

Yet again, something smells here. The GW Admin continues to amaze me with their ineptitude and double-ess-ness!

2/07/2023 2:49 pm  #34

Both Keith and Joel can express their points and still lower the temperature a bit and we can discuss this civilly.
I do find the suggestion that we are supposed to forget about this to be offensive and frankly, burying our head in the sand while our program is still blowing apart six years later.
 This was in the GW student newspaper this week. Other teams are discussed and dissected her, on a GW hoops board. Can't imagine any fan base, except the beaten down one of ours where we will accept anything, not talking about this until the full truth comes out. Spoiler alert: it hasn't.
   But if you don't care about the morality of this, which if a few things were reversed, would be a huge national scandal--and should have been, along with the damaged to careers way beyond ML's seemingly undeserved situation (see Mary Jo Williams allegations in the appendix), just think about it in a more basketball/ GW Sports-centered way. We wouldn't have been in the situation we are today, if this was handled correctly. Did you enjoy watching us get our butts kicked in the Smith Center by a team we were favored against on Saturday, and all the nose dives we've had in the last six years. Now, we finally have a coach who seems up for the task, but he still inherited collateral damage from 2016.
   Read the complaint, especially in the middle of the lettered section, where it talks about allegations about a recruit allegedly being scared off--and this contributing to why this seemingly poor woman was pushed out, according to the court filing response.
   Bored of this? Don't look. There's some irrelevant material on this board, but it is generally unharmful and we are all adults. This is relevant. Keep burying your head in the sand--and enjoy reaping what previous administrations have sown. 
    Even The Hatchet, which hasn't covered itself in glory on this story, deems the issue newsworthy right now. So, maybe we are okay as grown men and women, to talk about this--and its antecedents. You can handle this--or if tired of the issue even though it is still  skip over it.
       Keith and Joel can have their points and still lower the temperature a bit and we can discuss this civilly.
I do find the suggestion that we are supposed to forget about this to be offensive and frankly, burying our head in the sand while our program is still blowing apart six years later.
 This was in the GW student newspaper this week. Other teams are discussed and dissected her, on a GW hoops board. Can't imagine any fan base, except the beaten down one of ours where we will accept anything, not talking about this until the full truth comes out. Spoiler alert: it hasn't.
   But if you don't care about the morality of this, which if a few things were reversed, would be a huge national scandal--and should have been, along with the damaged to careers way beyond ML's seemingly undeserved situation (see Mary Jo Williams allegations in the appendix), just think about it in a more basketball/ GW Sports-centered way. We wouldn't have been in the situation we are today, if this was handled correctly. Did you enjoy watching us get our butts kicked in the Smith Center by a team we were favored against on Saturday, and all the nose dives we've had in the last six years. Now, we finally have a coach who seems up for the task, but he still inherited collateral damage from 2016.
   Read the complaint, especially in the middle of the lettered section, where it talks about allegations about a recruit allegedly being scared off--and this contributing to why this seemingly poor woman was pushed out, according to the court filing response.
   Bored of this? Don't look. There's some irrelevant material on this board, but it is generally unharmful and we are all adults. This is relevant. Keep burying your head in the sand--and enjoy reaping what previous administrations have sown. 
    Even The Hatchet, which hasn't covered itself in glory on these issues, deems the issue newsworthy right now. So, maybe we can handle as grown men and women, having posts about this--and its antecedents.
  So again, if bored or tired, skip over it. Not all posts are everyone's cup of tea.
  Meanwhile, the question is this: How much has GW paid outside counsel to defend this complaint over $40,000 pay difference a year? While handling out millions in settlements for previous athletic department
personnel.

2/07/2023 4:36 pm  #35

Good post JF.
I'm not sure how much GW has paid counsel as to this particular case, but I can tell you the brief has 3 attorney's from Gibson Dunn on it representing GW and GW has paid them more than $40,000 just to write this brief. And we wonder why we don't have money for charter flights!

2/08/2023 8:21 am  #36

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

keithgreene wrote:

Amen.

In the absence of just letting this go, could we at least keep the discussion fact-based? Between the ML firing and the EEOC action, it seems to point to a pattern of a disfuncional Title IX office more than any of the wild accusations being tossed around here (not that disfunctional Title IX enforcement is a good thing).

hahahahahahahahahaha no. this points to the university letting Nero go unchecked until it became everyone's problem. If a certain head of the Colonial Army hadn't been dumb enough to put him being a sleezy creep on their snapchat story this guy would STILL be the AD and THAT is why some people on here are upset. He was inappropriate with players to the point ML felt he had to step in. He was playing favorites with hired appointments that he very more than likely had yet another inappropriate relationship with. Some people like the aforementioned woman in the Athletics department were pushed out. Backing Patrick at this stage in the game is, once again, a weird and problematic hill for you to choose to die on.  

2/08/2023 8:27 am  #37

Everyone tries time and time again to "move on" and leave everything "in the past" but the point I and others have been making all these years (even on Herve's board) is that it will never be the past when it affects the present. The program is running on maybe half the budget these days. 1000 people showing up to a game is considered a decent outing. I can't remember the last sold out game. The team hasn't won over 15 games in 5 years. Nero desecrated this program and his actions are continuously draining money from the school. Things will be "in the past" when the school owns up for its mistakes, publicly crucifies Nero and pays out the people wronged, and apologizes to ML and his family for allowing their name to be dragged through the mud. THEN we can talk about something else finally. Until then it will continue to be oh so relevant as to why we "suck" and why the school we all probably donate to bleeds money like a stuffed pig. 

2/08/2023 9:19 am  #38

Skittles-Time to move on.

2/08/2023 9:28 am  #39

Worth emphasizing JF's point.  This thread did not just suddenly appear because someone was bored and thought to complain about Nero yet again.  It appeared because Nero is again in the news, with The Hatchet providing updates on the EEOC complaint.  Should The Hatchet just "move on" as well?

2/08/2023 9:38 am  #40

GW69 wrote:

Skittles-Time to move on.

Way to back a predator. Take a good look in that mirror kid

Board footera