GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/12/2023 11:15 am  #81

Re: GW's NIL Collective: Friends of George + General Discussion

Soon ... things are starting to move ... 

2/17/2023 1:06 pm  #82

Any update? I have heard nothing except my monthly donation receipt.

2/17/2023 1:53 pm  #83

It's a little tricky .... by NCAA rule, the Collective cannot be affiliated with the University. The entity exists and is receiving funds. You are unlikely to hear overall public reporting for several reasons - competitive disadvantage (other schools will know what they have to do NIL-wise to obtain a player via transfer), NIL rules and no public reporting requirement. This will likely operate somewhat in the shadows for awhile. And by shadows, I don't mean illegally ... I just mean quietly. Some individual player endorsement deals may be announced at some point. Sorry ... that's all I have.

Last edited by GWRising (2/17/2023 3:04 pm)

2/17/2023 3:05 pm  #84

I see what you are saying, but I feel like there should be something that lets us know our money is actually doing something though. Otherwise I’ll just donate that money to GW. It’s literally been radio silence aside from the monthly donation emails.

2/17/2023 3:11 pm  #85

squid wrote:

I see what you are saying, but I feel like there should be something that lets us know our money is actually doing something though. Otherwise I’ll just donate that money to GW. It’s literally been radio silence aside from the monthly donation emails.

At a minimum it would be nice to have some sort of networking event at Tonic etc. I think that was part of the deal for all $ levels.

2/17/2023 3:18 pm  #86

I agree. Any communication would be great. 

2/17/2023 8:20 pm  #87

Rumor has it that some mysterious individual only known as Blue Fog has contributed 1 million dollars.

2/17/2023 8:38 pm  #88

Merrick wrote:

Rumor has it that some mysterious individual only known as Blue Fog has contributed 1 million dollars.

Blue Fog loves Anacott Steel

2/22/2023 11:20 pm  #89

GW0509 wrote:

At a minimum it would be nice to have some sort of networking event at Tonic etc. I think that was part of the deal for all $ levels.

Yeah that’s true. Also merch, content, etc

3/02/2023 12:25 pm  #90

While we all celebrate another victory, largely made possible due to the incredibly clutch play of JBIV, there are a few questions worth pondering:

Will JBIV be returning to the team next year?
Would you like JBIV to return to the team next year?
Would you be willing, from an NIL standpoint, to help entice JBIV to return next year?

The first question will obviously be up to JBIV himself.  Will another year of college advance his professional career aspirations?  Might this extra year hurt these aspirations?  Is he better served staying at GW or moving on to a higher collegiate level?  What are his chances of competing in the NBA?  The G league?  Internationally?  What does he stand to gain financially by playing professionally?  And, what does he stand to gain financially by staying at GW (or perhaps at a different school)?

The next question is directed to us as fans.  It's hard to imagine having a more gifted weapon offensively on next year's team than James.  He can serve as a team leader and mentor to the three incoming freshmen.  Since freshmen often do not produce in their first year the way that they will down the road, having James on next year's team likely makes the team more competitive, meaning a better won-loss record and a better chance of achieving postseason goals.  On the other hand, we are bringing in a gifted point guard in Jacoi Hutchinson who will likely need to have the ball in his hands quite a bit to be effective.  Jacoi probably made more appearances this year on ESPN linear networks than GW did, which is another way of saying that he is a freshman who I would anticipate being productive from day 1.  Trey Autry and Christian Jones will likely be receiving their fair opportunities to play in next year's backcourt as well.  I don't worry about James's ability to integrate his play with newcomers as much as I would be concerned about impeding the progress of one or more of our newcomers.  My point is that there may not be an easy, obvious answer as to whether JBIV coming back to GW for one more year would be a great thing or not.

Let's assume though that you are of the mindset that of course you'd like James to return to GW.  This is where NIL may potentially make a difference.  I recently read about how another school is setting up its NIL program.  For example, if you would like for a portion (or perhaps all) of an NIL contribution to be tax deductible, one can donate to a nonprofit fund where this money is specifically earmarked for athletes to take part in events that benefit nonprofit organizations.  A separate alternative is what is being called a "One More Year Fund."  This money is specifically used to entice athletes who have remaining eligibility but are considering turning pro to stay in college one more season.  This is not a "pay for play" model because athletes do not make agreements as to how much compensation they receive until they first announce that they will be returning to school.

I have no idea how GW is setting up its NIL initiatives and frankly, aside from hearing that there is someone leading this effort, this has been a well kept secret.  If a fan wanted James to return to GW next season and is in a financial position where they could help, I would hope that their contributions could be earmarked specifically for this purpose (i.e. for James as well as any other athlete with a similar decision to make).

It's a new world out there.  Curious as to what you think of this idea.

3/02/2023 12:50 pm  #91

I'm currently donating monthly to the GW NIL and if I were to hear what exactly they are using it for (specifics players etc), I would consider  increasing my donation. JB would certainly be one of those reasons

3/02/2023 2:36 pm  #92

^^^same boat as FC.
Considering the lack of big recruits for 2023, I would expand that to enticing Dean to come back as well.

3/02/2023 2:49 pm  #93

Unfortunately guys (and girls), you are not going to hear much about the NIL. The NIL both because of applicable rules and because of competitive knowledge is not going to publicly discuss who is getting what. If the player decides to discuss so be it. I know this frustrates people but it is what it is. Call up Penn State or Rutgers and see if they will tell you how much Player X is getting and for what. They will laugh at you.

That said, all I can say is that FOG is aware of certain players and their importance to GW basketball. FOG is also very aware of the growing importance of potential NIL opportunities in player determinations of where to play basketball. FOG is going to work diligently to make sure certain players have NIL opportunities commensurate with the value their NIL brings to GW basketball. It will be up to each player to determine the value of their NIL and make determinations accordingly. 

All of this will play out over the coming months. You may hear nothing but that player X decides to return to GW or not. It is the hope that every player that CC wants to return will do so. 

3/02/2023 2:52 pm  #94

Asking for donations to a black box isn't a winning business plan

3/02/2023 3:04 pm  #95

A non-transparent slush fund? I am shocked. SHOCKED!
You would think the chance to be the marquee player in the conference would be a nice enticement for Bishop next season. Did anyone catch the worshipful video about Steph Curry that aired on the Davidson broadcast last night? Geesh, looked like the only thing they forgot to add was his turning water in to wine and bringing peace to Ukraine. GW could be the platform for Bishop to get an ego-stroking piece of fluff like that made in his honour.

3/02/2023 3:06 pm  #96

GWRising wrote:

Unfortunately guys (and girls), you are not going to hear much about the NIL. The NIL both because of applicable rules and because of competitive knowledge is not going to publicly discuss who is getting what. If the player decides to discuss so be it. I know this frustrates people but it is what it is. Call up Penn State or Rutgers and see if they will tell you how much Player X is getting and for what. They will laugh at you.

That said, all I can say is that FOG is aware of certain players and their importance to GW basketball. FOG is also very aware of the growing importance of potential NIL opportunities in player determinations of where to play basketball. FOG is going to work diligently to make sure certain players have NIL opportunities commensurate with the value their NIL brings to GW basketball. It will be up to each player to determine the value of their NIL and make determinations accordingly. 

All of this will play out over the coming months. You may hear nothing but that player X decides to return to GW or not. It is the hope that every player that CC wants to return will do so. 

GWRising, you've misunderstood or misinterpreted the meaning behind my post.  Am not suggesting at all that the public should be made aware of how much NIL compensation any specific athlete makes.  I am not even suggesting that people be allowed to donate funds which must be allocated to a specific person.  What I am suggesting is that a fund be set up that would only apply to athletes with remaining eligibility but who also have the option of leaving the program early.  So for this team, that fund could apply to James, Hunter, and if they are still eligible, Ricky and EJ.  It could not apply to Brendan who is out of eligibility, or someone like Max who clearly is not ready to turn pro.

People could then donate to this fund without having any input as to the amount James would receive vs. Hunter or anyone else.  The athlete is (hopefully) enticed to stay based on knowing that this fund exists but without knowing ahead of time how much $$$ they will be receiving.

3/02/2023 3:10 pm  #97

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

A non-transparent slush fund? I am shocked. SHOCKED!
You would think the chance to be the marquee player in the conference would be a nice enticement for Bishop next season. 

Sorry GWAA but it's not.  Not when other talented players are getting paid to stay in college when they don't have to.  If you want a competitive program, you'd better be prepared to play by the new rules. 

3/02/2023 3:34 pm  #98

Let's be clear. NCAA rules prohibit using NIL funds as a carrot to retain players or to recruit them. However, if a player were made aware of NIL opportunities that potentially and generally exist at GW should he elect to come or stay that would be ok.

Also there is currently nothing prohibiting anyone from having their business offer a NIL opportunity to a player, and sign an agreement for services (such as endorsing a product or service). 

This is a very tricky space. FOG cannot afford to screw it up.  If it seems like a black box it is because that is what some of us warned of at the time - the wild west and evolving rules. Also while smaller donations are welcomed and encouraged, I can tell you that players in the A-10 are getting 5 figures if not more annually for NIL. It will take a lot of smaller donations to cover that. FOG will need larger NIL opportunities based on individual discussions with potential donors or businesses. Those are occurring between FOG and individuals. GW is not part of that nor can it be. All GW can do is direct folks to FOG if they are interested in donating.

Sorry, I didn't make the rules as crazy as they are.

3/02/2023 3:37 pm  #99

Gwmayhem wrote:

GWRising wrote:

GWRising, you've misunderstood or misinterpreted the meaning behind my post.  Am not suggesting at all that the public should be made aware of how much NIL compensation any specific athlete makes.  I am not even suggesting that people be allowed to donate funds which must be allocated to a specific person.  What I am suggesting is that a fund be set up that would only apply to athletes with remaining eligibility but who also have the option of leaving the program early.  So for this team, that fund could apply to James, Hunter, and if they are still eligible, Ricky and EJ.  It could not apply to Brendan who is out of eligibility, or someone like Max who clearly is not ready to turn pro.

People could then donate to this fund without having any input as to the amount James would receive vs. Hunter or anyone else.  The athlete is (hopefully) enticed to stay based on knowing that this fund exists but without knowing ahead of time how much $$$ they will be receiving.

Gwmayhem ... See my answer above. I believe such a fund would get us in the crosshairs of the NCAA if it were described as you have stated it..

Last edited by GWRising (3/02/2023 3:38 pm)

3/02/2023 3:56 pm  #100

The only that can be sure is the NCAA screwing this up--or weighing it in favor of big schools.
James, for example, is the very symbol of how an opportunity at a competitive, but not P5 school (like he attended before this) can make a huge difference in value.
 And provide an excellent education as well as a future financial rewards if you want to play basketball after college. 

Board footera