GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2023 4:00 pm  #1

The A10 Conference Awards

With just 1 game left, and several GW candidates in the mix...

1. All A10 teams who do you see for for the 1st Team all league?
2nd team and 3rd team?

2. Rookie of the Year and 1st team all Rookie?

3. Coach of The Year?  CC in the mix with GW surging into the league's top 5??
Urgo the leading choice?

4. All Defensive team Choices?

5.  POY Race?

6.  Most Improved Player?
Brendan Adams the leading choice? someone else?

3/02/2023 10:43 pm  #2

Re: The A10 Conference Awards

Some surprises about past POY winners

Dayton and VCU have only one winner each.  Dayton joined 30 years ago VCU 12 years ago but so much success
Whereas Davidson who came to the league in 2014 has already had FOUR winners.  Amazing

Pops won most improved player.  One of the strangest GW winners, since Pops had 4 IDENTICAL seasons, all of them great, If you've forgotten, look up Pops stats, all 4 years, identical!!!

Finally, Rutgers, who left the league decades ago... has FOUR winners.  
GW just one.   

Does James Bishop make it TWO???

Last edited by The Dude (3/02/2023 11:01 pm)

3/02/2023 11:31 pm  #3

I think a big argument against Bishop is that we're not a top 3 or 4 team. His crazy usage % & 4 overtimes adds to his outsized numbers. Also, the defense could be better. That being said, he should be on the first team. 

Interesting ranking of A10 players on Bart Torvik's site: https://barttorvik.com/poy.php?conlimit=A10&year=2023&yr=

Bishop comes in at #10.

I think Max Edwards is probably the leading candidate for ROY. He's won rookie of the week 5 times?? You can see him getting better each week. 

3/03/2023 1:06 pm  #4

brod wrote:

I think a big argument against Bishop is that we're not a top 3 or 4 team.

We're a top 5 team.

If the team was 4-13 I could see the distinction but he's carried the team to the top 5 not sure how that's different than 4th or 3rd

3/03/2023 2:13 pm  #5

The Dude wrote:

brod wrote:

I think a big argument against Bishop is that we're not a top 3 or 4 team.

We're a top 5 team.

If the team was 4-13 I could see the distinction but he's carried the team to the top 5 not sure how that's different than 4th or 3rd

I am here to help.  If a team finishes in 5th place (which GW hasn't necessarily yet but we'll know soon enough), that means it hasn't finished in the Top 3 or in the Top 4.  Fourth is a little bit better than 5th, and 3rd is even better than 4th or 5th.  These are examples of how 5th is different than 3rd or 4th.

If the standings stayed exactly as they are right now, GW would finish in a tie for 5th, 6th and 7th place.  It would be slotted as the 7th place team due to tiebreakers but even without this distinction, they would not have finished in the top 5.  It would be unfair to say that GW finished in the top 5 when Duquesne and Mason, who had identical conference records , would not be counted in the top 5.  All three schools are guaranteed to finish in the Top 7 at this point, which is where they are right now.  Tied for 5th, 6th and 7th, and in the Top 7.  Not a Top 5 team.  Possibly after this weekend's games, but not right now.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (3/03/2023 2:46 pm)

3/03/2023 2:39 pm  #6

brod wrote:

I think Max Edwards is probably the leading candidate for ROY. He's won rookie of the week 5 times?? You can see him getting better each week. 

Do agree with you about this....

3/03/2023 3:43 pm  #7

Word playing.
What's the award for a 5th place team in a 1 bid (or 2 bid) conference?
It's called the CBI or some other low level post season tourney.

3/03/2023 5:20 pm  #8

Back in my Squash days, they would give out trophies for the top 4 finishers in a tournament. Fifth place got to suck eggs. 

Looking back at past winners, Davidson had a fella win and they finished 7th place that year. Jon Axel Gudmudsson. Maybe we tank for 7?? Who has CC's cell #

3/03/2023 5:24 pm  #9

brod wrote:

Back in my Squash days, they would give out trophies for the top 4 finishers in a tournament. Fifth place got to suck eggs. 

Looking back at past winners, Davidson had a fella win and they finished 7th place that year. Jon Axel Gudmudsson. Maybe we tank for 7?? Who has CC's cell #

I don't think so.  Davidson was 14-4 in the conference in 2018-19, the year Jon-Axel took home the award.

3/03/2023 5:31 pm  #10

Oops I was looking at 19-20. The thesis remains 

3/03/2023 9:38 pm  #11

Dayton (Holmes)  lost tonight, they have 6 losses, Mason (Oduro) has 7 losses, we (Bishop)  have 7 losses 
STU (Collins) has 6 losses.  

That looks like your leading 4 candidates, all of them with similar A10 records.   

POY is an individual award, anyone of those candidates has a compelling candidacy.

3/03/2023 11:55 pm  #12

Ace Baldwin is also in consideration as player of the year.  He’s not a huge scorer, but he’s the leading scorer on the league’s best team, a great defender who leads the league in steals, and is second in assists.  He has an argument for best two-way player in the league.

I don’t think he will win, or should win, but some a10 fans think he should. 

I imagine he’s going to try to really outplay  Bishop tomorrow to prove he should win it.

3/04/2023 12:28 am  #13

How Does this sound for 1st Team All A10???

James Bishop IV
Ace Baldwin
Yuri Collins
Josh Oduro
DaRon Holmes II

Last edited by The Dude (3/04/2023 12:29 am)

3/04/2023 7:26 am  #14

Toumani Camara and Erik Reynolds deserve a shout for first team. Not saying they should both definitely get a spot on it but they have been good enough to be in the conversation

3/04/2023 11:04 pm  #15

Ace Baldwin went 0-9 vs GW today

in a matchup of POY candidates, not a great final look for Ace's candidacy.

IMO, this is a Holmes vs Bishop vs Yuri Collins 3 man race

3/06/2023 10:04 am  #16

The first team candidate that nobody appears to be mentioning is Tyler Burton.  He is clearly a first team talent that may very well fall to second team since his team did not have one of its better seasons.

While it's never a good idea to change an opinion based on a single game, it's hard not to based on how Keith Urgo's Fordham team destroyed Keith Dambrot's Duquesne team.  There are still reasons to favor Dambrot, from slightly better computer metrics to Fordham's 7-6 record in non-Q4 games, to the subjective take that Dambrot had a much bigger reconstriction job to begin with than the one Urgo inherited from Neptune.  That said, I suspect voters will emphasize the Rams receiving the double-bye plus Saturday's head-to-head matchup and conclude that Urgo is the choice.

3/06/2023 10:13 am  #17

3 Bid League's A10 Media Awards

All-Media First Team: DaRon Holmes II, Dayton Yuri Collins, Saint Louis Ace Baldwin, VCU James Bishop IV, GW Josh Oduro, George Mason

Second Team: Toumani Camara, Dayton Tyler Burton, Richmond Darius Quisenberry, Fordham Erik Reynolds II, Saint Joseph's Dae Dae Grant, Duquesne

All-Media Third Team: Khalid Moore, Fordham Foster Loyer, Davidson Brendan Adams, GW Jalen DeLoach, VCU Sam Mennenga, Davidson

All-Defense: Ace Baldwin, VCU DaRon Holmes II, Dayton Tre Clark, Duquesne Kyle Rose, Fordham Toumani Camara, Dayton (tie) Jalen DeLoach, VCU (tie)

Player of the Year: DaRon Holmes II, Dayton Rookie of the Year: Maximus Edwards, GW Defensive Player of the Year: Ace Baldwin, VCU 6th Man of the Year: Javon Pickett, Saint Louis Most Improved: Brendan Adams, GW Coach of the Year: Keith Urgo, Fordham 

Transfer of the Year: Khalid Moore, Fordham, and Dae Dae Grant, Duquesne Sharpshooter of the Year: Erik Reynolds II, Saint Joseph's Glue Guy of the Year: Toumani Camara, Dayton, and Kyle Rose, Fordham Game of the Year: VCU @ Dayton

Last edited by GW0509 (3/06/2023 10:13 am)

3/06/2023 12:24 pm  #18

Thanks for posting GW0509.  Nothing terribly surprising.  Congratulations to James on making All A10 First team, Brendan on winning the most improved player in the conference as well as All A10 Third Team, and to Maximus on winning rookie of the year.

Would love to have seen Btrendan on the Second Team but when you have guys like Burton, Quisenberry and Reynolds on that team, you can readily appreciate the number of very talented players in this conference.  Max won the Rookie of the week award too many times (5) to not take home the seasonal prize.  Incidentally, Ricky received 1 vote for all defensive team, and Noel received 1 vote for 6th man of the year (What?  Wow.).  GW vs Richmond was the runner up for game of the year.

DaRon Holmes is the logical choice for POY.  He received 12 of the 18 first place votes with James and Ace receiving 3 apiece.  It's understandable for GW fans to think James deserved it since this comes with the subjective bias of watching him play each game.  It's even more understandable for GW fans to have wanted James to win the award.  That said, let's make a distinction.  You would have to be a raving lunatic to go on and on, post after post, asking whether there was any doubt over who should be the player of the year, or questioning whether there was even a clear choice besides James?  I guess when you could care less about your own credibility, you feel entitled to litter this board with absurdities.  And yes, it was absurd to suggest that there were no other viable candidates, even if said poster changed his tune over time because he eventually realized that Holmes was real competition for the award.   Please, go get some help raving lunatic.

3/06/2023 12:59 pm  #19

Gwmayhem wrote:

Thanks for posting GW0509.  Nothing terribly surprising.  Congratulations to James on making All A10 First team, Brendan on winning the most improved player in the conference as well as All A10 Third Team, and to Maximus on winning rookie of the year.

Would love to have seen Btrendan on the Second Team but when you have guys like Burton, Quisenberry and Reynolds on that team, you can readily appreciate the number of very talented players in this conference.  Max won the Rookie of the week award too many times (5) to not take home the seasonal prize.  Incidentally, Ricky received 1 vote for all defensive team, and Noel received 1 vote for 6th man of the year (What?  Wow.).  GW vs Richmond was the runner up for game of the year.

DaRon Holmes is the logical choice for POY.  He received 12 of the 18 first place votes with James and Ace receiving 3 apiece.  It's understandable for GW fans to think James deserved it since this comes with the subjective bias of watching him play each game.  It's even more understandable for GW fans to have wanted James to win the award.  That said, let's make a distinction.  You would have to be a raving lunatic to go on and on, post after post, asking whether there was any doubt over who should be the player of the year, or questioning whether there was even a clear choice besides James?  I guess when you could care less about your own credibility, you feel entitled to litter this board with absurdities.  And yes, it was absurd to suggest that there were no other viable candidates, even if said poster changed his tune over time because he eventually realized that Holmes was real competition for the award.   Please, go get some help raving lunatic.

These aren’t the ACTUAL awards.  This is some blogger giving votes to blogger friends that cover various A10 teams.

3/06/2023 1:14 pm  #20

Free Quebec wrote:

These aren’t the ACTUAL awards. This is some blogger giving votes to blogger friends that cover various A10 teams.

Correct.  But fan bloggers are pretty much what constitutes "the media" nowadays for the A10.  

Actual awards will most likely come out tomorrow before the pillow fight games.

Last edited by GW0509 (3/06/2023 1:17 pm)

Board footera