GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2023 6:46 pm  #81

Re: GW vs VCU Game Thread

GW was 10-0 in A10 play when Bishop and Adams scored 35+ and 0-8 when they didn’t. VCU did a masterful job defending those guys, especially Bishop. They had no easy shots.

3/04/2023 6:47 pm  #82

Really solid effort.  Proud of the team. We’ll take the 7 seed and hope to win at least one next week. 

Proud of the fight and especially proud of Max. Usually our freshmen are deer in the headlights against VCU pressure but he played a great all around game with timely threes, 10 boards, two charges taken, and other good plays.

3/04/2023 7:52 pm  #83

jersey guy wrote:

Blue Fog?  Didnt see that coming

Leaves me depressed and disoriented

3/04/2023 7:58 pm  #84

Most telling stat - VCwho attempted 11 more free throws than the Dubs and made 6 more - the margin of victory.
Beyond the points, the refs took our big men out of the game early.  Brown had 4 after 12 minutes of play.
I thought we handled the pressure well.  Didn't handle #35 from Phillipi WV knocking down 4 threes.

3/04/2023 8:12 pm  #85

The Smith Center is amazing when it is full. There is no other arena like it when it is. Too bad it only happens every few years or so.

3/04/2023 8:13 pm  #86

Free Quebec wrote:

Really solid effort. Proud of the team. We’ll take the 7 seed and hope to win at least one next week.

Proud of the fight and especially proud of Max. Usually our freshmen are deer in the headlights against VCU pressure but he played a great all around game with timely threes, 10 boards, two charges taken, and other good plays.

Edwards had an amazing play in the first half where he basically juked two VCU defenders out of their jocks at the bucket. I heard multiple gasps in the crowd around me.

3/04/2023 8:15 pm  #87

Alum '04 wrote:

The Smith Center is amazing when it is full. There is no other arena like it when it is. Too bad it only happens every few years or so.

Yeah, but at least once this season the men´s basketball team drew more for a home game than ColonialsBall drew for a road one (3,712 vs 1,052)

3/04/2023 8:44 pm  #88

jhuenn wrote:

Most telling stat - VCwho attempted 11 more free throws than the Dubs and made 6 more - the margin of victory.
Beyond the points, the refs took our big men out of the game early. Brown had 4 after 12 minutes of play.
I thought we handled the pressure well. Didn't handle #35 from Phillipi WV knocking down 4 threes.

We actually ran a 3/4 press to pretty good success in the 2nd half for about five minutes or so. We don't have the bench to run a sustained pressure defense but that was nice while it lasted.

Last edited by Alum '04 (3/04/2023 8:45 pm)

3/04/2023 8:46 pm  #89

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Yeah, but at least once this season the men´s basketball team drew more for a home game than ColonialsBall drew for a road one (3,712 vs 1,052)

We only sold 3,712 tickets today? The place was much more full than that. I'd say it was 90% full.

3/04/2023 8:49 pm  #90

The Dude wrote:

Maximus is going to be a huge star at GW

Dean's improvement has been outstanding

Dean is much more confident and aggressive around the rim. He also seems rather cool under pressure. Fewer teams are abandoning him on defense and allowing him huge lanes to the hoop.

Last edited by Alum '04 (3/04/2023 8:50 pm)

3/04/2023 8:52 pm  #91

DC Native wrote:

Total nightmare. Feels like FedEx Field when the Eagles are in town…

GW isn't as hopeless and futile as WFT so at least GW fans have something to look forward to and have going for them.

3/04/2023 8:53 pm  #92

Free Quebec wrote:

How did VCU find a guy hanging out in front of a 7-11 who can come on and hit 4 threes in the second half?

He looks like a character from Trailer Park Boys.

3/04/2023 8:54 pm  #93

Alum '04 wrote:

We actually ran a 3/4 press to pretty good success in the 2nd half for about five minutes or so. We don't have the bench to run a sustained pressure defense but that was nice while it lasted.

I don't know if it's fair to assume we'll perfectly mirror Miami's gameplan, but if we can get to like 75% of Miami's defensive intensity with a full roster next year it'll be so refreshing.  

As a product of the mid 00's Hobbs teams, I've been patiently waiting to see a GW team that jumps passes and creates, dare I say it, Mayhem.

Last edited by GW0509 (3/04/2023 9:06 pm)

3/04/2023 9:06 pm  #94

Free Quebec wrote:

Actually yes. I have Covid and can’t make it. Send me a private message on here. But only if you’re a GW fan (don’t remember this poster name)

Please take care and get well
i hope you were able t watch the game on TV
it was a good one

3/04/2023 9:21 pm  #95

No quit in these guys. Love it.  Better team won today and that’s the way it goes. I would have placed a very large wager against us winning 10 games in the conference. Very glad I didn’t see that over/under. 😂😂

Congrats to the team for leaving it all out there every game, and for never mailing it in all year. And thank you Chris Caputo for demonstrating what leadership and teaching looks like. The team today was dramatically better than the team we first saw in November. That was always my yardstick for the year.  These guys exceeded expectations.

We’re back. And it feels good to go into next week looking forward to next week, and not next year.

3/04/2023 9:29 pm  #96

Basketball Jones wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

Actually yes. I have Covid and can’t make it. Send me a private message on here. But only if you’re a GW fan (don’t remember this poster name)

Please take care and get well
i hope you were able t watch the game on TV
it was a good one

Thanks.  I’m good.  Got to watch a strong game.

3/04/2023 9:36 pm  #97

Alum '04 wrote:

DC Native wrote:

Total nightmare. Feels like FedEx Field when the Eagles are in town…

GW isn't as hopeless and futile as WFT so at least GW fans have something to look forward to and have going for them.

This was a comment about the VCU fans, who were getting unbearable as the lead grew. It got much better when GW was catching up. I’m very proud of the way the team played today, and the GW fans were great!

3/04/2023 9:46 pm  #98

DC Native wrote:

This was a comment about the VCU fans, who were getting unbearable as the lead grew. It got much better when GW was catching up. I’m very proud of the way the team played today, and the GW fans were great!

Sure. I think VCU fans are much better behaved than the drunken louts that are Philly fan. I'd rather have 2/3 VCU fans if it means we sell 5,000 tickets for a game between two hot teams.

3/05/2023 6:55 am  #99

3/05/2023 9:50 am  #100

Alum '04 wrote:

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

We only sold 3,712 tickets today? The place was much more full than that. I'd say it was 90% full.

Those are the figures listed in the official box scores. I will leave the explaination of how those numbers are derived to the board´s resident expert on such matters: BGF

Board footera