GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/08/2023 1:22 pm  #21

Re: The End of The Non Power 5 Bids?

DC Native wrote:

The reason for this trend is pretty simple - money. The schools from the big conferences, especially the blue blood programs, have more fans to buy more tickets and watch more games. And as long as the tourney still has autobids, the networks will have their cinderellas. They don’t care if these are the best mid major teams or not. The networks want a few first round upsets, maybe one in the second round, and then only blue bloods or other major programs by the Elite 8. Schools like GW should focus on winning conference championships rather than worrying about at large bids. If we win our tournament, we are in. Its as simple as that, at least for me.

So basically the rest of the season doesn't matter, why bother playing at all until the conference tournament?

That's what the current landscape has become for all but 7-8 leagues

Absolutely zero chance 30 win Charleston was getting a bid if they lost last night!  10 years ago they'd be 8 seed

Wonder if Longing for Oscar agrees 💯

Whatever happened to that chap?

Last edited by The Dude (3/08/2023 1:31 pm)

3/08/2023 3:06 pm  #22

"Absolutely zero chance 30 win Charlston was getting a bid if they lost last night!"

You probably ought to avoid using phrases like "absolutely zero chance".  Because in your mind, there was absolutely zero chance that anyone other than James Bishop was going to win the POY award, was there?  I realize you could care less about your own credibility here, of which you have none, but I'd hate to think that someone out there might believe the drivel that spews from your keyboard.  And to be clear, you were perfectly entitled to state that in your opinion, James deserved the award or even that you thought he would win it.  But to go on and on and on about it, countless times saying the same damn things again and again, is where the line should be drawn but obviously is not here.  My take:  Barry is too nice a guy to give you any real grief about your antics here and you are selfishly taking advantage of his good nature.  Sound about right?

It's funny that I can indicate that you post here under multiple names (and always have) and rather than deny the accusation (credit to you for not lying about this), you simply make the same accusation of me in your passive-aggressive way.  I am not, nor was i ever, Longing for Oscar, but I do know him and to address your question, I know exactly what happened to him.  He grew very tired of your relentless efforts to smother the old board with your trolling, and decided not to post anymore.  So go ahead and feel great about that.  Other than Oscar and a couple of other former posters, I couldn't say factually that your nonsense drove people away from this site (or the former one).  That said, I'd say though there was an excellent chance of this taking place given the vast numbers of people who have left this site while your utter bullshit lingers.

3/08/2023 8:03 pm  #23

Wisconsin, a 12 seed in their own league, is down 28, to the 13 seed, and yet came in "Last 4 IN" on several bracketologists

This loss to a 13-18 Ohio St should seal their fate, but this is the kind of Power 5 team who is taking bids away from VCUs and Utah States

3/08/2023 10:09 pm  #24

The cartel of power conferences have been tightening their control over the NCAA over the years.  They have purposely rigged the system in their favor.  They don't just want a bigger piece of the pie, they want all of the pie and they are getting close to their objective.

3/09/2023 12:42 pm  #25

TJT85 wrote:

The cartel of power conferences have been tightening their control over the NCAA over the years.  They have purposely rigged the system in their favor.  They don't just want a bigger piece of the pie, they want all of the pie and they are getting close to their objective.

They are getting close to that, that's for sure.  Basically we're already down to Saint Mary's and two MWC bubble schools.  We might be two losses from just Saint Marys

All 3 if they get in with seed lines 3-5 seeds worse than their computer numbers

Not only did the A10 put in so many teams just 9 years ago take a look at the seed lines for each. Even if you basically remember it will still shock you

3/09/2023 9:49 pm  #26

TJT85 wrote:

100%

Board footera