GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2023 4:25 pm  #101

Re: GW's NIL Collective: Friends of George + General Discussion

GWRising wrote:

Unfortunately guys (and girls), you are not going to hear much about the NIL. The NIL both because of applicable rules and because of competitive knowledge is not going to publicly discuss who is getting what. If the player decides to discuss so be it. I know this frustrates people but it is what it is. Call up Penn State or Rutgers and see if they will tell you how much Player X is getting and for what. They will laugh at you.

That said, all I can say is that FOG is aware of certain players and their importance to GW basketball. FOG is also very aware of the growing importance of potential NIL opportunities in player determinations of where to play basketball. FOG is going to work diligently to make sure certain players have NIL opportunities commensurate with the value their NIL brings to GW basketball. It will be up to each player to determine the value of their NIL and make determinations accordingly. 

All of this will play out over the coming months. You may hear nothing but that player X decides to return to GW or not. It is the hope that every player that CC wants to return will do so. 

GWRising,
Not knowing how these things works I do have some questions.
1)Can't FOG let those who are donating know in generality about what they are doing . Without specific names or $.
2) Once they sign someone to a NIL will they or can they publicize the signing?

Last edited by Florida Colonial (3/02/2023 4:26 pm)

3/02/2023 4:32 pm  #102

GWRising, I am not making up the model.  This is exactly what the University of Michigan has set up for its football program.  They are calling it The One More Year Fund and it's specific intent is to entice draft-eligible seniors such as Blake Corum, Cornelius Johnson, Zak Zinter and Trevor Keegan to remain at Michigan and play football one more season.  As a contributor, I can't say that I only want my money going to Corum, nor can I find out how much each player ultimately receives.  I'm just contributing to the fund knowing that the money will be received by these players.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (3/02/2023 4:33 pm)

3/02/2023 5:23 pm  #103

FOG has serious people with integrity working on it who want to do things the right way and steer clear of reputational risk for the university, its players/coaches, and FOG itself.  The fact is that if we have nothing to offer players at the mid-major level in combo with all of the other benefits GW may offer, we can't compete the way all of us desire.  Forget about the P5, they've got more $$$ in their collectives than we could ever imagine. 

I don't want to throw money into a black box either, but it seems we've got a lot of casual gamblers here and perhaps folks that don't mind spending ten bucks on a beer at a sporting event.  When FOG is up and running, give it a shot. Start small--whatever you are comfortable with.

My dilemma is that all my prior "donations" have been charitable in nature.  Do I now want to donate merely to put cash directly into a young kids' hands.  Hopefully, the work necessary to earn that cash will be for something worthy, but as I noted more than a year ago, if you're not in this game, you are out.  That is the new reality--and it's not going to change any time soon.                

3/14/2023 8:13 am  #104

It would be nice if FOG were able to do a tweet like this.  Maybe it's because they don't have enough money to do so, but it would be nice to have some sort of communication that the monthly donations aren't just going into a black box.

@TheMassCo 
BREAKING NEWS @TheMassCo is thrilled to announce a major NIL agreement with UMass star and A10 all-rookie team player RJ Luis @RjLuis21!  More information will be available in our upcoming press release. Stay tuned for details! #NIL #UMass #A10Basketball #GoUMass

Last edited by GW0509 (3/14/2023 8:14 am)

3/14/2023 9:21 am  #105

GW0509 wrote:

It would be nice if FOG were able to do a tweet like this.  Maybe it's because they don't have enough money to do so, but it would be nice to have some sort of communication that the monthly donations aren't just going into a black box.

@TheMassCo 
BREAKING NEWS @TheMassCo is thrilled to announce a major NIL agreement with UMass star and A10 all-rookie team player RJ Luis @RjLuis21!  More information will be available in our upcoming press release. Stay tuned for details! #NIL #UMass #A10Basketball #GoUMass

Sit tight. When FOG or a business has something to announce, it will be announced. There are rules to this. 

Last edited by GWRising (3/14/2023 9:22 am)

3/22/2023 2:00 pm  #106

GWRising wrote:

Sit tight. When FOG or a business has something to announce, it will be announced. There are rules to this. 

We all know there are rules to this -- however, there have been no updates on Twitter since November, none of the promised benefits to donors have happened, and no one responds to emails or tweets. Surely there is some way to say something about the NIL publicly without breaking any NCAA rules. And especially, to say something outside of this message board. As others have noted, if people knew that something, anything was happening, they would be more likely to donate. And if there actually were tweets or other press, you might reach more people who wanted to donate.

3/22/2023 2:04 pm  #107

For example, the MassCo https://twitter.com/TheMassCo has been posting that people should join their collective, posting info about NILs, hosting Q&As, participating in NIL conversations, giving away seats, and so on. So clearly people know they are doing something, even if they don't know the specifics of what they're working on. 

They have more tweets since March 19 than Friends of George does overall.

3/22/2023 2:11 pm  #108

Squid.. I completely agree.. Communication to those donating has completely been missing. Its a good strategy if you want to have people lose interest.. How about just some type of acknowledgment and update other that the monthly email that our $ has been received. Maybe some of us would convince others to join or even up our contribution.

3/22/2023 7:17 pm  #109

Sit tight.  All donations to FOG, regardless of amount, will be fly insured and backed by the FDIC.

3/23/2023 8:30 am  #110

Good piece on the Today Show this morning re NIL and how it’s being - surprise, surprise - abused. Notre Dame calling it out as basically money laundering.

https://www.today.com/video/notre-dame-says-name-image-likeness-rule-is-too-easy-to-abuse-166393925688

3/23/2023 10:32 am  #111

I can't prove it, but it feels like the schools that are doing the NIL game best are the schools that were cheating like crazy before, and are now just allowed to do it in the light. These "rules" are meaningless and unenforceable, and so the infrastructure that has existed will continue to exist.

The schools, GW among them, that have refused to allow their coaches to cheat like their counterparts across the conference and country, are left paralyzed by the confusing web of nonsensical rules. 

3/23/2023 3:13 pm  #112

I'll say that as someone who was considering donating, having 0 information about FOG and what it actually does makes it a nonstarter for me.

3/24/2023 5:17 pm  #113

@WieneckeLuke
I asked James Bishop today about his upcoming decision this off-season on his future with GW basketball. He said he was “definitely keeping his options open” with a laugh. Excited to share my full recap story Monday, including interviews with Caputo Edwards and Coach Lee.

https://twitter.com/wieneckeluke/status/1639378988744290307

3/27/2023 2:04 pm  #114

The Ross-Man! wrote:

I'll say that as someone who was considering donating, having 0 information about FOG and what it actually does makes it a nonstarter for me.

Exactly. This is why I'm trying to get them to write something at all.

3/27/2023 2:53 pm  #115

NIL isn't where I choose to invest my support of GW Men's Basketball, but I respect and understand that it's a necessary part of today's game. If you believe in NIL, the best I can say is I get the sense that Rising knows what they're talking about and you should trust that FOG is doing what it needs to do.

3/27/2023 4:18 pm  #116

Right, I can just as easily send that money directly to GW, so I want them to say something at all that gives me an inkling that it's worth supporting the NIL. "Trust me" from some anonymous guy on the message board (I am referring to Rising here) is not in my opinion a very reassuring strategy.

3/27/2023 5:46 pm  #117

Of course I want the NIL to succeed. And I think some communication with current and potential donors is the best way to do that.

It doesn't have to be that we have a deal with X company or anything explicit. Just any communication at all would be good. For example "we mentioned some benefits to donors, here is what's going on with that" would be a start. 

3/27/2023 8:18 pm  #118

Echoing the points made by several here about FOG - I'd love to donate too, but without any sort of tangible updates I'm really hesitant to do so. I grew up as a UConn fan, and I'm curious to see why we can't do something as (seemingly) simple as their NIL store (read: merch) or even get some of the guys set up on Opendorse (once we have more than two active players on the roster lol). Happy too to learn more about how this all works, as I get that it's very much a whole new world for everyone involved.

3/28/2023 1:32 pm  #119

Again, I must sound like a broken record. Things are in the works and more of a rollout will occur. Like a lot of things, FOG jumped into this NIL Wild West without a coordinated plan or rollout. There have been some fits and starts as well as some meaningful changes. It's on the right track as we speak. There are some talented GW alums and others involved. Just give them some time. That's the best I can say at this time..

3/28/2023 1:44 pm  #120

If you need help, I think many of us here would be happy to assist. Looks like a few folks above have already offered

Board footera