GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/24/2021 9:51 pm  #1

Daniel Nixon

The team, right now, is not good. JC has two freshmen that we all believed he recruited to play meaningful minutes. Freeman is. Nixon isn’t. Is he so underdeveloped that he can’t get ten minutes a night of run on a team lacking depth? Is he a project who is effectively sitting out in order to redshirt the year and to spread out the depth and talent? Is he going to transfer? Is he just not good? Given the lack of high quality play ahead of him, there has to be a reason. Any insights?

11/24/2021 11:27 pm  #2

Re: Daniel Nixon

The only thing that makes sense is something non-basketball or we want to redshirt him or maybe JC's general pattern of riding with some players, performing in team play or not.
Because hopes were high for Nixon and he has at least some height and bulk and frankly, no one's doing better.
   Also, Knapp did play like a minute this year, but since he can shoot reportedly and actually did okay in D1, it's really odd that we can't at least give him a heat check. Not exactly as danjsport points you, anyone is doing any better.
  But even if they were, some rest would help.

2/25/2022 9:22 am  #3

Sorry to revive an old thread, and maybe this has been covered in other threads but is there a clear sense of what has gone on with Nixon? Was he just a rankings miss and from a talent perspective he isn't capable of grabbing any minutes on what is a very thin roster? I know this kind of thing happens but for a touted freshman recruit to get almost 0 minutes, it feels like we are really missing a detail. 

Apologies if this has been covered/explained elsewhere!

2/25/2022 9:31 am  #4

Although I and others have been inquiring about Nixon nearly all season, nobody seems to have the answer as to what is up with Nixon, so it remains a topic of interest.   The explanation that seems to be coming is that there is a log jam at the guard spot which is preventing Nixon from getting on the court, but at 6'7" and 225 pounds, I am frankly not buying that explanation.

2/25/2022 9:56 am  #5

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Although I and others have been inquiring about Nixon nearly all season, nobody seems to have the answer as to what is up with Nixon, so it remains a topic of interest.   The explanation that seems to be coming is that there is a log jam at the guard spot which is preventing Nixon from getting on the court, but at 6'7" and 225 pounds, I am frankly not buying that explanation.

Let's just say this (and please don't speculate). It is not Nixon's ability that is keeping him off the court. Also just to quell anything else there is no problem between Nixon and JC. The reason has not much to do with just basketball. So unfortunately no one can give you an answer. But just to clarify the young man is not in any sort of trouble or academically ineligible.

Last edited by GWRising (2/25/2022 10:04 am)

2/25/2022 10:15 am  #6

GWRising wrote:

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Let's just say this (and please don't speculate). It is not Nixon's ability that is keeping him off the court. Also just to quell anything else there is no problem between Nixon and JC. The reason has not much to do with just basketball. So unfortunately no one can give you an answer. But just to clarify the young man is not in any sort of trouble or academically ineligible.

I remain perplexed.    There is no problem with the coach (so I assume no disciplinary issues) and he isn't in any type of academic issues, unless there is an injury, I am at a loss how he can be available to suit up every game but only see an occasional minute or two during garbage time.    My only other hypothesis is that he already has one foot out the door.  Otherwise, if he is not hurt, not in academic problem and there are no disciplinary issues, why isn't he getting lots of minutes in this otherwise lost (meaning non-competitive) season?   FWIW...when I look at him during warmups and on the bench, he seems to be pretty affable, with a good attitude.  

2/25/2022 10:37 am  #7

You can remain perplexed. I will admit that it is an unconventional reason. There is nothing more that I can say here other than I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

2/25/2022 11:16 am  #8

Yeah, i guess this one is just a mystery. It is pretty sad that even though it sounds like it isn't a skills issue, a interpersonal issue between player and coach, or an academic issue - it is an issue that (per the Buchanan thread) will likely result in Daniel transferring out.

Definitely one of the weirder recent GW basketball story-lines in recent years. From what GWRising is saying it sounds like it must be something personal, so i suppose we can just wish him well and also perhaps hope he is able to stick around, see the court, and find success.

2/25/2022 12:48 pm  #9

Why suit him up, then? And if he can play a minute or 2, why not 3 or 5?
The only thing that would make sense is some sort of illness that allows him to play for brief stretches or phobia (apologies to GW69 if terminology is incorrect). The small fan base would certainly support him either way, if that is the case.
Lot of mysterious oddities this year on use of players not just Nixon. And of course, including departure of an assistant coach.

2/25/2022 2:44 pm  #10

Given his recent garbage time play, I do not think Nixon is elligible for a redshirt anymore. And given his recent garbage time play, I cannot say he has made a very good arguement for more time on the court. All in all, odd.

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (2/25/2022 4:09 pm)

2/25/2022 3:53 pm  #11

jf wrote:

Why suit him up, then? And if he can play a minute or 2, why not 3 or 5?
The only thing that would make sense is some sort of illness that allows him to play for brief stretches or phobia (apologies to GW69 if terminology is incorrect). The small fan base would certainly support him either way, if that is the case.
Lot of mysterious oddities this year on use of players not just Nixon. And of course, including departure of an assistant coach.

I am consistently reminded by this poster that access to a keyboard doesn't require any sort of knowledge or competence when it comes to assessing  GW or college basketball. All that is required is an opinion and speculation however baseless.

Last edited by GWRising (2/25/2022 3:54 pm)

2/25/2022 4:13 pm  #12

Good point.
Like on Gapare.

GWRising wrote:

There is nothing to explain yet. He is still committed to GW as I write this to everyone's knowledge.. Has to do more with getting the necessary paperwork in order (international kids are harder to get through the Clearinghouse and Admissions).. He still may re-class as a 2022. 

2/25/2022 4:17 pm  #13

Maybe we can just let people post, within the guidelines here, and not condescendingly
attack them for pointing out things on a board devoted to it. Just a thought.

2/25/2022 4:25 pm  #14

I am not commenting on this or any one situation as not everything is meant for public consumption.  However if the issue is truly a private or sensitive one, then GWRising probably should not have been made aware of what it is either unless he works in the athletic department which he has denied in the past.

That said, this school does seem to keep an awful lot to itself.  Certainly that's the school's prerogative but at the same time, it's unrealistic to expect people not to speculate when facts are not being provided to those who are curious.     

2/25/2022 4:36 pm  #15

jf wrote:

Maybe we can just let people post, within the guidelines here, and not condescendingly
attack them for pointing out things on a board devoted to it. Just a thought.

Maybe if people didn't have a history of posting snark and trying to always find the negative angle with no facts there wouldn't be a need for a post like mine.

Last edited by GWRising (2/25/2022 4:38 pm)

2/25/2022 4:39 pm  #16

jf wrote:

Good point.
Like on Gapare.

GWRising wrote:

There is nothing to explain yet. He is still committed to GW as I write this to everyone's knowledge.. Has to do more with getting the necessary paperwork in order (international kids are harder to get through the Clearinghouse and Admissions).. He still may re-class as a 2022. 

Do you know why Gapare isn't here? I don't think so or you wouldn't post such foolishness.

2/25/2022 5:16 pm  #17

I posted this on a thread a few weeks ago but I'll post it again here. This is what JC said about Nixon following the SLU game on 1/26:

“Yeah, he's a good player, you know, he's gotten a lot better. Sometimes these freshmen transitions take a while. And he's really played better as of late in practice. He's kind of starting to really show who he is as a player. And it's hard. He's a guard. So he's in there with Brendan Adams, James Bishop, Joe Bamisile, Brayon Freeman. He's got a pretty good room of guys there that can all really play. You know, he's got five guys right there that are pretty talented. He does a great job of learning from those guys and he could be really ready to play at some point this year if he has to do that. I think he's really bought into the process of getting better as of late. And when I say as of late I mean the last two months he's been outstanding and he's actually getting better. So it's been, you know, he's got a chance to be a good player. I don't know if it'll be this year. But I definitely have confidence in the way he's been working lately that he's gonna be a good player at some point in his career.”

​It seems like there's more to it than what he said but that's what he said about it...

3/14/2023 6:06 pm  #18

=inherit=inheritDaniel Nixon =inherit@showtimednix=inherit·13m =inheritRespect my decision… Jeremiah29:11     =13px=inherit2 =13px=inherit3 =13px=inherit74       =inherit=inheritDaniel Nixon =inherit@showtimednix  =inheritRespect my decision… Jeremiah29:11  6:51 PM · Mar 14, 2023

Last edited by Florida Colonial (3/14/2023 6:06 pm)

3/14/2023 6:42 pm  #19

A move seemed to be the right move for all involved.  Its a shame that we could not really see what he could do while at GW.   Wishing him the best of luck.

3/14/2023 8:15 pm  #20

Yes. Hope he finds success elsewhere.

Board footera