GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/15/2023 3:28 pm  #101

Re: The 2023 A10 Tourney

Spin it anyway you want.

Fact remains it's tough to win a championship in post season, whether it's the NCAA tourney or NIT.

In 2016, we were disappointed to get passed over for an at large into the NCAA tourney. Despite all the turmoil going on at the time (including Nero trying to sabotage the team and get Maltzman to pass on the bid), our team responded as expected from a veteran team under a good coach and won it all.

The experts on the selection committee are now laughing at the arm chair quarterbacks and media for the decision not to invite Rutgers. Perhaps Hofstra should have gotten an at large pick based on their performance last night!

3/15/2023 3:32 pm  #102

I think we need to agree that 2023 Rutgers and 2016 Florida are two very different situations.  I fully agree that 2023 Rutgers suffered a natural emotional let down (playing without Mat did not help either).  2016 Florida won its first game at North Florida by 29 points and its second game at Ohio State by 8 points before losing at GW.  

If you're going to try to sell me that Florida, after feeling snubbed, was fine during its first two games but then felt an emotional letdown prior to the GW game, please don't bother.  I don't quite see the logic.

3/15/2023 3:47 pm  #103

Simple solution is an expanded NCAA Tourney.

32 byes to the top 32, the next 64 play a round 1 game to get the field to 64.

The reality is the gap between Hofstra and North Texas.. Liberty.and Michigan and North Carolina and Wisconsin and Rutgers... and Dayton ...and the very last teams into the field of 64 is very small. None of those teams is great but neither is Miss St or Pittsburgh.

I think that's coming regardless because it would generate a lot more revenue than NIT games very few people watch or pay attention to.

Most importantly it would force more than just 2-5 bids to non Power teams, I would extend bids to every regular season and conference tourney champion, and then hand out at large bids to however many teams left.  Go 31-3 and 17-1 in your league and you are dancing.   Cinderellas would return.   More Saint Peter's is what makes the tourney great.   Here's the chance for it.

Last edited by The Dude (3/15/2023 3:50 pm)

3/15/2023 3:53 pm  #104

I think all of you are way off point.The most important thing about Rutgers loss is that we won’t be 
be titillated by the poetry of one of our posters.I nominate the GW “troika on the Raritan” as the single 
most annoying yet smile provoking-at least to me-phrase in GW boardhost history.To me this alone was 
worth the price of admission.

3/15/2023 4:51 pm  #105

GW69 hit the nail on the head.
Our resident "expert" on all things ranted on earlier in the season about Rutgers and even Siena having great seasons. Now he's as quiet as a church mouse on that topic and is an NCAA Tourney expert. (edited by BGF)
The only thing Rutgers has going for it is that they didn't "puss out" of the NIT like Dayton and NC and expose all their weaknesses to a fundamentally sound mid-major.

3/15/2023 5:56 pm  #106

Hey Barry... 4 years of this.  Will there ever be any consequence for it?

9 years in a row counting the other board

DMV? Barry??

3/15/2023 10:41 pm  #107

The Dude wrote:

Hey Barry... 4 years of this. Will there ever be any consequence for it?

9 years in a row counting the other board

DMV? Barry??

Dude, I'm going to close this thread, but not before telling you that on this one you're right.  I normally don't step in when there are comments that are sarcastic but fall short of being a real personal attack.  This one is borderline.

I also understand that people tend to attack other people on this board when they themselves have been attacked by the other party.  We're adults and we should all act like that.  It's been a while since I've asked everyone to just cool it.  

Board footera