GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2023 7:38 am  #621

Re: GW New Moniker Discussion

porter71 wrote:

I would bet all my money that its Revolutionaries.  Its always been Revolutionaries.  This whole marketing thing is a farce to try to drum up interest in something most people don't care about before they name the choice they landed on in the very beginning.  Its embarrassing.  Every part of it.  

They should have just gone with Buff and Blue.  But this is what happens when your can't keep a University President, and the rest of the administration and athletics department are incompetent.  You throw away all tradition to come up with something that doesn't fit the university to solve a problem that didn't really exist.  

Very well said.  A new tradition will never be established and meaningless.

3/21/2023 9:14 am  #622

Rimhigh wrote:

porter71 wrote:

I would bet all my money that its Revolutionaries.  Its always been Revolutionaries.  This whole marketing thing is a farce to try to drum up interest in something most people don't care about before they name the choice they landed on in the very beginning.  Its embarrassing.  Every part of it.  

They should have just gone with Buff and Blue.  But this is what happens when your can't keep a University President, and the rest of the administration and athletics department are incompetent.  You throw away all tradition to come up with something that doesn't fit the university to solve a problem that didn't really exist.  

Very well said.  A new tradition will never be established and meaningless.

I hate the rationale and this whole effort to drop the Colonials moniker. But somehow my 50+ years of rooting for GW teams is not going to be undermined by this name change, whatever it becomes. The most enduring tradition of being associated with GW as a student or fan was complaining about whatever it was that gave meaning to one’s gripes. What better way to strengthen that connection than the name change? No doubt there were people upset when the school adopted Colonials and dropped Hatcheitites. I’m not scrapping my GW stuff with Colonials on it any more than I trashed anything with a swoosh. My fond memories of that Pat Tallent, Keith Morris, Haviland Harper, Clyde Burwell recruiting class were tied to the fact that they played for GW in their artistically and historically incorrect uniform colors not because they were the Colonials. Elana Meyers Taylor and Red Auerbach played for GW; Mike Jarvis and Joe McKeown coached for GW. Caricatures of George Washington are still appropriate (at least for now). Even Tevye got over his precious Tradition. Suspect we’ll all survive as Revolutionary Sentinels in the Blue Fog as Ambassadors for GW. Even if it’s stupid, which it is.

3/21/2023 9:23 am  #623

It's an interesting question...are you more upset that a change is being made or why a change is being made?  While these needn't be mutually exclusive, I suspect that one outweighs the other in the minds of most of us.

3/21/2023 11:02 am  #624

gwstudent2024 wrote:

The students didn't want Blue Fog, just Fog. No idea where the Blue came from. I like that it's out of the box but I recognize many of you disagree. As a student I haven't felt like they've weighed our opinions more than any other group. FWIW the general reaction my friends have had is that none of the options are particularly good. The people filling out the feedback forms and whatnot are the ones that pay attention to the sports teams from what I can tell. I am afraid that the marketing firm or whatever has outsized influence for a group of people who the decision ultimately doesn't affect

It seems like a student vote was the driver of all of this, so student opinions certainly seem to be more heavily weighed than other groups.  I for one didn't see any alumni upset about Colonials, either on this board or in the real world.

3/21/2023 12:40 pm  #625

As for the Blue Fog stupidity, maybe (in keeping with the one the University sent to poor Squid to nix his t-shirts) the folks at this place can send the University a cease & desist letter that nips it in the bud. (They have some good tunes available, too!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbBw9F0cOmI

3/21/2023 2:26 pm  #626

The actual vote to remove the name, if I recall properly was something 44-43 (or thereabouts with a 1-point margin) on the name change, a virtual tie.
And no doubt, many more students than alumni knew about this, since the alumni outreach consisted of maybe an email--and the students voted. (Maybe just pranking everyone, since presumably they would have a basic knowledge of English language meaning before entering the university.)
   I know alumni who didn't recall any chance to vote. So based on these not clear and tie results, this
is what happens. At no doubt, a cost approaching or in the millions. The only people who are better for this are the consultants, as usual, tying on the rich GW feedbag.
   At some point, GW needs to realize that a combination of provoking needless turmoil/alienating its best supporters in the athletic realm is not really a winning strategy. Literally and figuratively.

3/21/2023 2:49 pm  #627

True Poog. As an historian I somehow hanged onto the Hatchets of that time period. Amazing reading 50 years later. Martin Wolf had some nice sports articles. But even though the GW varsity was below .500 we had the joy of the freshman class you mentioned. What a team.

3/21/2023 2:57 pm  #628

I have way too much stuff with Colonials on it. It was and still will be Colonials. I will not get anything which says 'The administration is stupid' and "we don;t give a dam what the alumni feel about the change.

3/21/2023 6:26 pm  #629

Please do not embarass us any more than you have done so by re-naming the Colonials.  I swear, when I first heard ths, I thought it was a joke.

3/22/2023 2:54 pm  #630

Personally I think Revolutionaries is the best, Revs for short, but I also like Blue Fog second best. It's unique, about our neighborhood and references the Continental Army uniforms and our school colors.

I think the other two are fine, not great.

3/22/2023 3:04 pm  #631

Squid. I agree with you again

3/22/2023 3:19 pm  #632

I think Revolutionaries is acceptable; just imagine the Smith Center full with the very loud yell of "Let's Go Revs!"

3/22/2023 3:49 pm  #633

AT Hiker wrote:

I think Revolutionaries is acceptable; just imagine the Smith Center full with the very loud yell of "Let's Go Revs!"

I´d like to imagine the Smith Center full with fans yelling anything other than "Roll on Mountineers" or "V.C.U.". Sadly, I fear it will never happen (unless Lenny Kravitz plays the venue again). As for the nickname, I like "Colonials" just fine.

3/22/2023 7:10 pm  #634

Can’t wait to see what the NYC Audubon Society comes up with. 

https://nypost.com/2023/03/22/nyc-audubon-society-changing-white-supremacy-legacy-name/

3/22/2023 7:21 pm  #635

Merrick wrote:

Can’t wait to see what the NYC Audubon Society comes up with.

https://nypost.com/2023/03/22/nyc-audubon-society-changing-white-supremacy-legacy-name/

Apparently both "Truth" and "Squad" are still available...

3/22/2023 7:40 pm  #636

Merrick, at least our little Cumberland-Harpeth Audubon Society is not changing its name. Even though Audubon killed a lot of birds. Will this name change thing never end. I suggest NY should change their name to the Colonial Audubon Society.

3/26/2023 1:25 pm  #637

And we make national news again for the name change.New York Times now which should bring more out of the woodwork.
Too depressing to link,but someone with a strong stomach can. Summary:Colonials very,very bad.
No opponents of the name change quoted,but those pushing it are featured.
  Spot the new wrinkle on why the Colonial name is so horrible.

3/26/2023 10:35 pm  #638

3/26/2023 11:50 pm  #639

Guess it’s too late to opt for the GW Owls. Perfect for me because I really don’t give a hoot about any of this. Just get it over with already and save us the sanctimonious university pablum about unifying the community for all those people who probably couldn’t find the athletic venues, let alone attend any athletic event there. Bring back the old days of Nike and Just Do It.

3/27/2023 9:26 am  #640

Interesting. I get the Sunday NY Times and there is no mention of this article. I guess different parts of the country gets different NYTimes.

Board footera