GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/22/2023 9:11 am  #81

Re: The Coaching Carousel Thread

Somebody told me this earlier today ...

Kim English 34-29 overall in 2 years with zero post season berths gets Providence.

Dave Paulsen goes 30-24 in the previous 2 years and has Tyler Kolek, Jordan Miller and Josh Oduro returning and gets fired.

Make it make sense.

3/22/2023 10:14 am  #82

GWRising wrote:

Somebody told me this earlier today ...

Kim English 34-29 overall in 2 years with zero post season berths gets Providence.

Dave Paulsen goes 30-24 in the previous 2 years and has Tyler Kolek, Jordan Miller and Josh Oduro returning and gets fired.

Make it make sense.

I'll try to make it make sense.  I think it has a lot to do with how you want the leader of your program to be perceived.  Kim English is a young, fit, coach with, I'm willing to guess, a  magnetic personality.  Let's also add that he had a great college playing career and was a 2nd round NBA draft pick.  He has enjoyed success as an Assistant Coach under Rick Barnes among others.  

Dave Paulsen will be 59 years old by the start of next season.  There's little question about his coaching abilities.  He enjoyed much success at Bucknell prior to landing the George Mason job and had coached at a number of smaller schools before that.  He was an Assistant at Fordham this past season and a special advisor to Fordham the year before that.  Probably not a huge coincidence how Fordham has elevated its program during this time.  But, Paulsen comes across as a bit of a schlub.  Someone on this site (or the prior one) once referred to his appearance as "the epitome of middle management" which is, simply put, the perfect description.

As we know, far more goes into coaching hires than won-loss records and coaching philosophies.  Many schools are looking for the young, vibrant, charismatic leader who can relate well with the players but who can also schmooze the donors, alum and sponsors.  It's not dissimilar to buying a stock that you're convinced is on the rise but few are talking about.  Or picking that 13 seed to pull an upset at the dance that many have never heard of.  Paulsen would be the safer, sturdier pick but English is the pick that carries far more upside, regardless of whether this is based on real factors or simply perceived ones. 

3/22/2023 12:00 pm  #83

Upside has got a lot of AD's fired. I'm going with competence over all the other boxes as an indicator of success. Not 100% but a much stronger correlation. Paulsen is a very good coach. Got f'ed at George Mason especially in light of the team he had assembled for 2021-22. AD fell for the shiny object that did no better and now will leave the program in no better shape and perhaps worse shape.

But maybe that's just me. Tobin Anderson suffered from that for years. Now look. Even our own CC probably was denied chances because he "didn't check the right boxes". I guess like a lot of things, competence has taken a back seat to other factors. Personally, I don't care who you are or where you come from, if you are competent and have a plan to win where you are then I'm riding with you. If you are a media or social media creation, a job climber, one of the search firm guys they put forth for every job, or you haven't proven it before, you are not my guy. 

3/22/2023 1:32 pm  #84

GWRising, in a perfect world, you are of course correct.

And as we know, the world is far from perfect.

3/22/2023 5:45 pm  #85

We've see firsthand in the past the difference between winning the interview and winning on the court.

Last edited by jf (3/22/2023 5:57 pm)

3/22/2023 10:34 pm  #86

Micah Shrewsbury to Notre Dame

3/23/2023 5:44 am  #87

Rumor out of Mason is that English was annoyed about not receiving an extension from the school after the 6-0 finish to the season.

He also was hoping for more $ for his assistants.

Mason really screwed itself by not working harder to get a permanent AD in place. Regardless of whether or not English deserved an extension (they still got blown out in the A10 tournament by SLU), it’s hard to negotiate anything when there’s no AD.

3/23/2023 8:43 am  #88

3/23/2023 9:28 am  #89

GWRising wrote:

Joel Joseph wrote:

Great hire by GTown. Cooley will bring them back in a hurry. Money wasn't Cooley's main priority. Being able to resurrect what his friend John Thompson built was - Remember, Thompson a Providence alum. Maryland and Gtown will be fighting for the DMV top again. 

Florida is where old coaches go to retire so Brey found the ideal job. For USF's sake, I just hope he still has the fire to work (recruit) hard.

I can see Becker (Vermont) in the mix for the Providence job. Englich needs to accomplish something before he's ready to take over a Big East job.

Becker wants the Holy Cross job I am told. His girlfriend is the HC women's coach. But Providence isn't that far away. However, I hear English will likely get Providence.

Shrewsbury will likely go to Notre Dame

Penn State will hire Matt Langel.

I think all four could happen. We will see.

Also don't dscount Mitch Henderson being in the running for some of these jobs.

3 down 1 to go. I have a pretty good source - an agent for coaches. 

3/23/2023 11:28 am  #90

Ed Cooley has been very, very good at Providence, a tough place to win

A Home run hire for Georgetown. 

Little surprised how quickly Kim English and Micah are jumping up.

3/23/2023 11:37 am  #91

Thomas wrote:

I think the biggest development here is that Kim English has a good chance to stumble his way up the coaching ranks!! HA! But seriously, what has he really done at George Mason to justify a move up to the Big East? It's good that he has all those BCS ties as a player and an assistant coach. As another poster pointed out, getting the Providence job right now would be great for Kim English because its possible that George Mason could be among the worst teams in the A-10 next year when you look at all the players (Oduro, Big Ticket Gaines, etc.) they could lose.

A positive for Mason if Kim English does get the Providence job is there's a chance they'd hire Tony Skinn, a starter on their 2006 Final 4 team and an assistant coach at Maryland right now. He has the rep of being a strong local recruiter at multiple stops as an assistant.   

Gwmayhem, I didn't know Cooley's daughter attends Georgetown that should be reason enough for him to want the job, he can keep close tabs on her now!! LOL  To answer your question about how good the Georgetown job is, I'll always maintain that it will always be a very good job because of the history, playing in the Big East and being located in a recruiting hotbed. No matter how far the program sinks, those 3 things will always be a huge plus for Georgetown, in my opinion. I do understand your point because I heard former Louisville and Xavier coach Chris Mack mention that when he'd play road games at Georgetown, they had a "dead" atmosphere at the Abe Pollin-MCI Center even though Georgetown had very good teams.  

About Cooley and his recruiting, his highest rated 2023 Providence recruit (Garwey Dual) decommitted from Providence almost immediately after Cooley took the Georgetown job, I'm assuming he'll be a Hoya very soon. 

Thomas, it's worth noting that the Georgetown decline is now 15 years old, well before Ewing became their coach.  JTIII did reach the Final 4 and then kept them far more competitive than Patrick did.  But consider these tournament losses:

2008       Davidson (with Steph)         #10 seed
2010        Ohio                                    #14 seed
2011         VCU                                    #11 seed (Final 4 team led by, well, you know)
2012        NC State                             #11 seed
2013        Florida Gulf Coast              #15 seed  

It's easy to conclude that this string of upsets at the Dance contributed to a precipitous decline of their program as a whole.

3/23/2023 2:38 pm  #92

JT3 was 66-42 in The Big East between 2010-2015
During that 6 year run, they made 5 NCAA Trips, won 2 games.     Co Big East champs in 2013, 2nd place in 2015. 

That's a helluva run.   What he had was a big two year dip in 2016-17, but so did Ed Cooley 2019-21. 

Ed Cooley bounced back, predictably with 2 more great years in 2022-23, JT3 would've too if not for such a short sighted firing.   Then came the Ewing Chernobyl, predictably.

Jay Wright, was 24-30 in Big East play  in a 3 year dip 2011-13 with no NCAA Tourney wins.  Dips happen to almost every Coach.   Mike Brey missed 3 straight tourneys 2004-06, and he 15-16  6-12 in 2014, right before his greatest success,  back to back Elite 8s in 2015-16.   

If I had a Brey/Cooley/JT3 I'd hang on to those guys, their track records warrant it 
JT3 was also 45-11 in the Ivy League play during his 4 year run there.

Kim English has accomplished very little to date,  Micah had basically an impressive month from the bubble to the 2nd round.  

That's what makes The Izzo, Mark Few, Bill Self runs remarkable, no dips.  Just incredible success year after year.   Very few guys like that in the sport.  

Last edited by The Dude (3/23/2023 2:39 pm)

3/23/2023 4:16 pm  #93

After JTIII's run to the final 4, he proceeded to lose 5 times to double digit seeds over the ensuing 6 years.  One year in that span, his team went 16-15 and missed the tournament.  After that 6 year period, he went 18-15 and missed the tournament, 22-11 and made the tournament, 15-18 and finally 14-18.  At least 11 losses in each of his final 4 seasons.  

Not exactly what any reasonable person would refer to as a short sighted firing.  Very on brand though that YOU would hang on to a JTIII.  As for the other 362 Division 1 schools, they have all said "No Thank You" going on a 7th consecutive year.

3/23/2023 5:50 pm  #94

I think the prevailing wisdom is on your side, Mayhem, but I think that there's a lot of programs who are going to have to confront the reality that it's easy to mistake an elite coach for an elite program. Places like Georgetown right now, and I think Syracuse and Duke down the line, are going to have to really confront whether they are bigger than names like Thompson, Boeheim and Krzyzewski. Georgetown went from A-tier to B-tier from one Thompson to another, and they're currently in a bucket of Has-Beens.

Scheyer finished strong this year, but can he sustain that? Will student-athletes want to go all the way up to Syracuse, NY to play for a coach not named Jim Boeheim? Is Georgetown just a tiny liberal arts school that used to have a God-tier coach? JTIII didn't reach expectations, but I think it's possible that alumni look back on him in another 5 years and realized they took him for granted. Look at how much they're paying Cooley to try to prevent that.

3/24/2023 2:42 pm  #95

creeksandzeeks wrote:

I think that there's a lot of programs who are going to have to confront the reality that it's easy to mistake an elite coach for an elite program. Places like Georgetown right now, and I think Syracuse and Duke down the line, are going to have to really confront whether they are bigger than names like Thompson, Boeheim and Krzyzewski. Georgetown went from A-tier to B-tier from one Thompson to another, and they're currently in a bucket of Has-Beens.

Scheyer finished strong this year, but can he sustain that? Will student-athletes want to go all the way up to Syracuse, NY to play for a coach not named Jim Boeheim? Is Georgetown just a tiny liberal arts school that used to have a God-tier coach? JTIII didn't reach expectations, but I think it's possible that alumni look back on him in another 5 years and realized they took him for granted. Look at how much they're paying Cooley to try to prevent that.

Fully agreed with this.  Ask DePaul fans about life without The Meyers, father and son.

Duke is a little different than the other cases, having made Four  Final 4s in the 15 years prior to K's arrival, but can Scheyer keep the juggernaut status?  Will be very interesting to see.   Duke I'd compare to Indiana post Bobby Knight, a very good program taken to juggernaut status by one long time legendary Coach, and so far the answer has been no there.   

Last edited by The Dude (3/24/2023 2:45 pm)

3/24/2023 3:28 pm  #96

The Dude wrote:

creeksandzeeks wrote:

I think that there's a lot of programs who are going to have to confront the reality that it's easy to mistake an elite coach for an elite program. Places like Georgetown right now, and I think Syracuse and Duke down the line, are going to have to really confront whether they are bigger than names like Thompson, Boeheim and Krzyzewski. Georgetown went from A-tier to B-tier from one Thompson to another, and they're currently in a bucket of Has-Beens.

Fully agreed with this.  Ask DePaul fans about life without The Meyers, father and son.

Duke is a little different than the other cases, having made Four  Final 4s in the 15 years prior to K's arrival, but can Scheyer keep the juggernaut status?  Will be very interesting to see.   Duke I'd compare to Indiana post Bobby Knight, a very good program taken to juggernaut status by one long time legendary Coach, and so far the answer has been no there.   

"Juggernaut" status for Duke? Not recently. Strong program but "juggernaut"????? Made the Final 4 just 3x since 2004. 2x national champion in last 20 years. Compare and contrast UNC 6x to Final 4 and 3x national champion in same period.  Like "America's Greatest Coach" another exaggeration.

3/24/2023 3:56 pm  #97

Rising, The Dude knows nothing.  He has it in for Scheyer for some reason.  He just makes up his feeble mind that he's going to love certain coaches and abhor other coaches for no discernible reason.  He thinks that Scheyer will eventually destroy Duke's program and points to this year 27-9 record as an example of Jon having a poor season.  Meanwhile, everyone with half a brain knew that the combination of being a brand new head coach and having a practically brand new team was going to come with some growing pains.  Not to mention the injuries to key players during the first half of the season which did not help.  Including their season-ending loss, Duke was 17-2 this season when operating at full strength.

Nevertheless, this guy will hold up Scheyer's record against that of his predecessor, the best coach this sport has ever known, and will declare Jon a major disappointment regardless of whatever his accomplishments turn out to be.  It's what trolls tend to do.

3/24/2023 4:19 pm  #98

Barry, and other Moderators, and fellow GW fans. 

For 4 years, on this site this 1 person has daily violated the rules of this site, by personally attacking other posters.  For much longer on the prior site, ultimately leading to its demise.  Talking about many many years there as well.

Not asking this thread or any other thread to be "locked" when it happens, asking that is stops by taking actual action against the daily offender  A very long time poster (Ziik) was banned for foolishly responding to the personal attacks.  How about taking action against the actual attacker.  Same person,day after day, year after year.  

It degrades the whole GW fan community to allow it go on

Thank you in advance

Last edited by The Dude (3/24/2023 4:24 pm)

3/24/2023 7:20 pm  #99

Speaking of dips... the great Jim Larranaga had a HUGE THREE year dip at Miami 2019-2021 Just two years ago they had a 3 year run near the very bottom of the ACC , 16-41 in league play and under .500 overall every year 

Then came The Elite 8 in 2022, one half from another Elite 8 this year. I'm sure there were plenty of fans calling for his firing too in 2021. They were 10-17 and 4-15 in league play in year 3 of a very large dip. Prudent decision to stay the course there too.  

​As for Mike Brey, he's not the Coach at USF despite what someone wrote above, he interviewed there and wasn't made an offer he told ESPN today. 

One year ago he was coaching in the 2nd round of the NCAA Tourney.  If you have guys like Larranaga or Brey, you hang on to them, ride the waves.   Football first ACC schools not exactly a Coaches paradise 

Last edited by The Dude (3/24/2023 7:24 pm)

3/25/2023 2:33 pm  #100

Urgo signs a five year extension to stay at Fordham.

Board footera