GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/28/2023 4:02 pm  #1

Just how good was our starting 5 this past season?

Taking a break from portal kombat…

Found this amazing tweet showing that our starting lineup was one of just 12 in the country to play at least 700 possessions together. 

They produced an adjusted efficiency margin of +5.4 (meaning they outscored their opponents by an average of 5.4 per 100 possessions, adjusted for opponent strength).   That efficiency would have had us ranked 114 on KenPom.  Shows how much of a drop off there was when we had to to go to the bench.

Not surprisingly, the defense was subpar (103.9) but the offense of those 5 was tremendous at 109.2 (which would be top 100 level) - which means offensively, when adjudged for opponent qualify, our 5 starters were roughly as good as Kansas’ starting 5 on offense.

What’s also interesting is that when any one of those starters was out, our offense actually didn’t drop off too bad (we were 108.9 overall), but our defense dropped off a cliff (maybe not true for some subs, but I don’t have that data).  Our overall defensive efficiency was 112.3, so I’m guessing that our defensive efficiency was probably something like 120 with any of them off the floor. 

https://twitter.com/evanmiya/status/1640801538124795910?s=46&t=m2xsjs4EY33TDlbMVwhKzQ

I’m solving those defensive woes is one of CC’s priorities as he rebuilds the roster.

PS, the Miami starting 5 is the number one unit of all the teams that qualify - ahead of Gonzaga, Creighton, UNC, Kansas and others.

3/28/2023 4:46 pm  #2

Re: Just how good was our starting 5 this past season?

Free Quebec wrote:

I’m solving those defensive woes is one of CC’s priorities as he rebuilds the roster.

CC was in charge of scheming defense at Miami so I don’t have any concern that he knows how to build and coach up a solid defense.

He said in a few interviews last year that because of the over-reliance on basically 5 players, he had to re-work the defensive scheme to give us any chance to win games. We saw that with his increased use of a very basic 2-3 zone.

Couple that with our guys not being lockdown defenders to begin with and you end up with one of the worst defensive teams in the country per KenPom.

Last edited by GW0509 (3/28/2023 4:47 pm)

Board footera