GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/05/2023 8:52 am  #61

Re: Caputo in the Media

Here is the link to listen to the recording: 

https://t.co/kFxLKistEf

4/05/2023 10:19 am  #62

I found it interesting that he mentioned new coaches (within the league and around the country) who "moved very quickly to add a million players" from the portal and "what was gained?" as those same teams are having large roster turnover again. (I'm thinking UMass and URI) This was within the context the topic of bringing in transfers who are a fit for the team and the institution. Sounds like he's never going to be rushed.

Also mentioned news "this week, next week on a couple of things"

Apparently Joey Calcaterra had said he was coming to GW and would have made a big difference but then a couple of days later things changed (UConn)

Last edited by Florida Colonial (4/05/2023 10:20 am)

4/05/2023 10:54 am  #63

Florida Colonial wrote:

Apparently Joey Calcaterra had said he was coming to GW and would have made a big difference but then a couple of days later things changed (UConn)

Dan Hurley was on the Pardon My Take podcast and actually mentioned speaking to Joey and saying "Do you want to go someplace where you'll play alot but your season is done in December or come to UConn where you may not start but you'll win a national championship."  Guess he was talking about GW 

4/05/2023 11:49 am  #64

Hurley is full of shit. No way he had that exact conversation. He might have said play in the NCAA tournament. He rephrasing that in hindsight. I guess when you win you can say whatever you want. I'm glad UConn won but Hurley could win 10 and he still will be an asshole - that's not changing.

4/05/2023 12:04 pm  #65

GWRising wrote:

Hurley is full of shit. No way he had that exact conversation. He might have said play in the NCAA tournament. He rephrasing that in hindsight. I guess when you win you can say whatever you want. I'm glad UConn won but Hurley could win 10 and he still will be an asshole - that's not changing.

I listened again and I may have exaggerated his statement a little in my memory although the sentiment is still the same.  Here is the exact quote:

"The pitch to these guys was getting empty numbers at a school that isn't going to sniff March isn't going to do much for your career.  You know, you're better off being a 7,8,9 point a game scorer on a team that could play for a national championship than go play for some middle-to-bottom of a conference team that's season is going to be over in the beginning of January or late December." 

4/05/2023 2:32 pm  #66

Under the category of things that a coach does not have to say, I enjoyed CC's remarks about wanting to stay at GW for 20 years if they'll have him.  He mentioned that he was not one of those types who was constantly thinking about where his next (higher level) job might be and when.  He likes the idea of staying in one place for a while, and this can be backed up based on his long stays at both GM and Miami.  He did leave open the possibility of moving on (never say never), but there aren't many coaches who would not leave open such a possibility.  This is also very important for recruiting, letting recruits know that he plans to be at GW for the long haul.

You are entitled to chalk this all up to "coachspeak" if you'd like but to me, CC comes across as being very genuine and sincere when speaking about this.

4/05/2023 2:58 pm  #67

GW0509 wrote:

GWRising wrote:

I listened again and I may have exaggerated his statement a little in my memory although the sentiment is still the same.  Here is the exact quote:

"The pitch to these guys was getting empty numbers at a school that isn't going to sniff March isn't going to do much for your career.  You know, you're better off being a 7,8,9 point a game scorer on a team that could play for a national championship than go play for some middle-to-bottom of a conference team that's season is going to be over in the beginning of January or late December." 

counterpoint: Brendan Adams

4/06/2023 9:29 am  #68

Gwmayhem wrote:

Under the category of things that a coach does not have to say, I enjoyed CC's remarks about wanting to stay at GW for 20 years if they'll have him.  He mentioned that he was not one of those types who was constantly thinking about where his next (higher level) job might be and when.  He likes the idea of staying in one place for a while, and this can be backed up based on his long stays at both GM and Miami.  He did leave open the possibility of moving on (never say never), but there aren't many coaches who would not leave open such a possibility.  This is also very important for recruiting, letting recruits know that he plans to be at GW for the long haul.

You are entitled to chalk this all up to "coachspeak" if you'd like but to me, CC comes across as being very genuine and sincere when speaking about this.

I would add one other thing that marks Coach Caputo as a special person. At the end of the interview, he asked the student interviewers what they were going to be doing this summer. Same kind of inquiry he made in the post-game interview at Rhode Island when he asked how the students were getting back to D.C. That expressed interest/concern may be shtick with some coaches but is undoubtedly genuine with Caputo. Add that with the obvious improvement in GW's players this year shown on the court and discussed in the interview, it's hard not to have confidence that the program and on-going recruiting efforts are in good hands. Even for the skeptical and cynical fans that make up the GW fan base.

4/06/2023 9:39 am  #69

Poog wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

I would add one other thing that marks Coach Caputo as a special person. At the end of the interview, he asked the student interviewers what they were going to be doing this summer. Same kind of inquiry he made in the post-game interview at Rhode Island when he asked how the students were getting back to D.C. That expressed interest/concern may be shtick with some coaches but is undoubtedly genuine with Caputo. Add that with the obvious improvement in GW's players this year shown on the court and discussed in the interview, it's hard not to have confidence that the program and on-going recruiting efforts are in good hands. Even for the skeptical and cynical fans that make up the GW fan base.

Well said Poog

4/06/2023 10:10 am  #70

Poog wrote:

Even for the skeptical and cynical fans that make up the GW fan base.

That’s a recursive comment.

4/06/2023 1:00 pm  #71

Agree that CC seems to treat the students who don't play basketball like people of worth, which is nice.
Also as of now, feel very good about having him as our coach in numerous ways, from basketball smarts
to communicating frankly and insightfully to spotting the great Max, Garrett we hope, and many others.
   However, in general, we've certainly well earned our skepticism and cynicism over the years.
In too many instances to enumerate at the moment.

5/31/2023 11:11 am  #72

The Basketball Podcast: EP270 with Chris Caputo - Basketball Immersion

In this week’s basketball coaching conversation, George Washington head coach Chris Caputo joins the Basketball Podcast to share insights on offensive efficiency and making decisions as a head coach.

6/30/2023 12:05 pm  #73

CC, Bishop and Jacoi on summer workouts

https://twitter.com/GW_MBB/status/1674813841899651073?s=20

6/30/2023 12:21 pm  #74

I refuse to join twitter

7/05/2023 12:46 pm  #75

9/27/2023 10:36 am  #76

Caputo interviewed by Matt Modderno for Bleav in DMV Hoops

EDIT: Found the Youtube Link for the non-Twitter/X folks

Last edited by GW0509 (9/27/2023 11:19 am)

9/28/2023 2:43 pm  #77

What a great video.  40 minutes with Coach Caputo.  Love the positive changes that have been happening under his watch, including the Smith Center upgrades, a pracitice facility, team flying charter and even better food for the athletes.  Also loved his candid admissions of our defensive deficincies last season and how hard they are working to correct it.   Team is having fewer "team practicies" but rather are getting individual attention.   A must watch for any junkie.  Thank you for sharing 509,

9/28/2023 5:24 pm  #78

Great interview.  I'll be super-happy when they stop asking him the "why GW" questions.

9/28/2023 6:03 pm  #79

BM wrote:

Great interview.  I'll be super-happy when they stop asking him the "why GW" questions.

He is always asked the question and we all know his answer.  But for those hearing it for the first time, the question gives him a great opportunity (which he never misses) to plug the Program, the Smith Center, the school and DC area basketball.  Hope they keep asking and that there are plenty listening.

10/01/2023 9:36 pm  #80

I understand that the recent photo of Chris Caputto and Randy Lavine was taken at a NYC event for (I don't remember the exact term, but something like "reknowned" (which I interpreted as meanng wealthy) alumni in the area.  Way to go coach.  This guy appears to be working his ass off to lift  up the program on and off the court.  When I always wondered why a top athlete may consider GW, when you listen to CC "sell" what GW has to offer, it is easy to see why we do land some good ones.

Board footera