GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/27/2023 7:58 pm  #641

Re: GW New Moniker Discussion

Prokoff has a nice article in the Hatchet about the moniker process. He's an older alumni. Yep, the administration screwed up again. But most of the administration are not alumni, so what do they care?

4/07/2023 11:44 am  #642

And the lead story in today's Washington Post Metro section.
Plenty about the horrors of what the name seems like, but no one suggesting the other side.

4/09/2023 2:16 pm  #643

Poog wrote:

Guess it’s too late to opt for the GW Owls. Perfect for me because I really don’t give a hoot about any of this. Just get it over with already and save us the sanctimonious university pablum about unifying the community for all those people who probably couldn’t find the athletic venues, let alone attend any athletic event there. Bring back the old days of Nike and Just Do It.

This is the big fail or disconnect IMO. If they actually believe this will heal or unify the “community” Rice Hall has once again proven GW fails when they try to manage an issue and not solve a problem. Under no circumstances can any of the nicknames be a marketing improvement based on the words themselves,  never mind their inert meanings.

Second to Poog’s point none of these names will boost attendance or engagement around sports and it won’t help giving bc 1) most of GW alums don’t give bc the lack of traditional school spirit made GW a more comfortable place for them, 2) the change will irritate older folks who do give and 3) for the student body activists this just 1 of many grievances.

In contrast look at the Monumental outline on the court.
Distinctive, Instantly recognizable, Easily Understood.
Well done bc no one asked me or what I thought.

4/10/2023 10:07 am  #644

I can’t believe I just did this.Received survey for final four monikers with short videos-I gave Blue Fog 
highest rating! Help!! Even if by default I feel a little guilt-back to therapy--again!

Last edited by GW69 (4/10/2023 10:11 am)

4/10/2023 10:37 am  #645

4/10/2023 10:49 am  #646

I guess they can market me into anything. Suddenly those choices don't seem quite so stupid, however idiotic to me this whole Colonials banishment movement is. But if they're going to transform Blue Fog into Friends of George, they should at least capitalize FOG or make it FoG.

4/10/2023 11:13 am  #647

GW69 wrote:

I can’t believe I just did this.Received survey for final four monikers with short videos-I gave Blue Fog 
highest rating! Help!! Even if by default I feel a little guilt-back to therapy--again!

GW (as a restaurant): How was your meal?
Me: It was not recognizable as food. 
GW: Given the same choices how could webmake all of GW, including students yet be born enjoy the food?
Me: You Can’t
GW: Here are our 4 best dishes
Which do you like most.
Me: I told you all these are terrible
GW: Which abstract video makes you feel better!
Me: ZERO

and on and on we go

4/10/2023 2:04 pm  #648

Nothing to stop anyone from giving all four videos absolute zero ratings. I doubt I will be the only one to have done that.

4/10/2023 6:06 pm  #649

Just please take me to the part where The Today Show has Craig Melvin ask President Granberg what the team name will be live from U-Yard, and then have her deflect to Pops, where Pops says "We're the [TEAM NAME]" and then, if my cringe doesn't get permanently stuck on my face, I can move on with my life.

4/10/2023 7:08 pm  #650

Agree Abroad. Right on FredD.

4/10/2023 7:11 pm  #651

Just watched the videos. Et tu, Byron?

4/18/2023 7:46 am  #652

And to think I thought nothing could be worse than a 5 minute Trustee discussion preceding a vote to approve the Hippos as the new nickname.

Jokes on me! Now we have a process as strained as a Treaty of Versailles subcommittee with worse choices than River Horse.

All the while the possibility of a last minute arbitrary switcheroo exists.

Maybe the endless attempts to gain feedback are an attempt to bludgeon any opposition with false kindness! (Actually it’s documentation of trying to get stakeholder input.)

4/18/2023 8:45 am  #653

Question regarding nicknames...the question involves proper use, not what you prefer.

Last night, I was watching some cheezy celebrity golf event (it did raise $3 million for Children's Hospitals so I will not disparage) and one of the participants was Joe Theismann.  On several occasions, the name Commanders was mentioned as in "Joe played his entire NFL career with the Washington Commanders" or "Theismann led the Commanders to a Super Bowl victory."  I understand why we want to do away with the old nickname but my question is whether it's factually correct to use these references?  

In the future (and I'll go with my predicted winner here), will we be hearing or reading things like:

The George Washington Revolutionaries have made 1 Sweet 16 in its history

or

Chris Monroe is the Revs' alltime leading scorer.

Again, you may not like this, but is it correct?

5/24/2023 12:46 pm  #654

Not as sexy as a new transfer or recruit update, but our new moniker will be announced this afternoon.

https://twitter.com/gwtweets/status/1661425101563101200?s=46&t=at8kc9mPPiJ11sWji-4ekA

5/24/2023 12:55 pm  #655

::eats popcorn::

5/24/2023 1:04 pm  #656

Revolutionaries it is per @gwtweets

5/24/2023 1:04 pm  #657

It's the Revolutionaries.  Let's not all fall into shock at the same time.

5/24/2023 1:06 pm  #658

I guess Revolutionaries is the best option.... Go Colonials

5/24/2023 1:06 pm  #659

Now we're named after a WAR.  Much better than conflating Colonials with Colonists.

5/24/2023 1:24 pm  #660

Mostly disappointed they couldn't be bothered to have a logo at the ready. If they are going to change names, I'd at least like to be able to buy some new stuff.

Board footera