GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/27/2023 11:06 pm  #1

GW player of the Decade: The 2000s

A series, of GW player of the decade, decade by decade. Next up the 2000s.   Like the 2010s (great answers btw) a very close call for player of the decade with many compelling choices.

You can pick anyone you'd like, but here's a list of some candidates:

Your choice is?  Runner up??

Carl Elliott 
Pops 
Chris Monroe 
Val Brown 
Rob Diggs 
JR Pinnock 
TJ Thompson
Mike Hall 
Omar Williams 
Damian Hollis 
Mo Rice 

Last edited by The Dude (4/28/2023 11:57 am)

4/28/2023 8:45 am  #2

Re: GW player of the Decade: The 2000s

I'm partial to players like Chris Monroe, Tony Taylor, and Ellis McKennie... guys who shined in otherwise inauspicious moments for the program and made going to games worthwhile, but I don't know how you don't put Carl Elliott at the top of this list for getting the 07 team to the NCAAs despite the loss of Omar, Mike, JR and Pops. It's Carl and then everyone else.

4/28/2023 10:03 am  #3

Carl 1 - 4 years of postseason play, including the NIT run as a freshman, and willing the 07 tourney run as creeksandzeeks said.  Plus he was so clutch (see the Dayton and Charlotte games, among others).

2. Has to be Mike Hall for me.  Not the flashiest player on those teams, but did EVERYTHING.  The epitome of a glue guy.

4/28/2023 10:21 am  #4

Carl

4/28/2023 12:57 pm  #5

Chris Monroe is my guy!

4/28/2023 2:10 pm  #6

I've got to go with the only player to score more points at GW that Joe Holup, who is the best MBB player to ever don a GW uniform.

4/28/2023 11:39 pm  #7

I'd pick Carl, and you can't go wrong with Chris Monroe.... 

Anyone think it should be Pops or JR (or someone else?)   Those two guys really carried GW to incredible athletic heights 

4/28/2023 11:44 pm  #8

It's gotta be Pops.  Nobody personified those Hobbs teams more than him and for 4 years he was the unofficial mayor of Foggy Bottom.  Carl may have been more of a winner, but when I think of those teams, I think of Pops dunking on everyone.  

4/29/2023 8:19 am  #9

As one who lived these years as a student, this choice is SO hard because it depends on the criteria.

JR was, for me, the most fun guy to watch play. Omar, while probably the most talented, was the most  infuriating to me. His standing at the free throw line and bulldozing his way into wild shots overrode all of the positives for me, repeatedly. Pops was the face of those teams. Carl did it with those guys and without em. And Mike Hall was the glue of all of it. Oh, and the leading scorer in GW history played in that decade.

For me, I go Pops. He just defined those teams. And his injury probably cost them the most. But there's no wrong answer to this question.

While clearly NOT the answer to this question, we should also through a loving mention to Dokun, who sacrificed for GW and kept the team's success rolling for an extra year.

5/02/2023 3:12 pm  #10

Its interesting how views do tend to change with the passing of time
Here was a GW Fan vote of greatest players of all time, from 10 years ago:

GW Men's Basketball Top 10 Players Fan Vote
1. Joe Holup
2. Mike Brown
3. Pops Mensah-Bonsu
4. Shawnta Rogers
5. Chris Monroe
6. Yinka Dare
7. Carl Elliott
8. Kwame Evans
9. Bob Tallent
10. Mike Hall

5/02/2023 3:25 pm  #11

danjsport wrote:

As one who lived these years as a student, this choice is SO hard because it depends on the criteria.

JR was, for me, the most fun guy to watch play. Omar, while probably the most talented, was the most  infuriating to me. His standing at the free throw line and bulldozing his way into wild shots overrode all of the positives for me, repeatedly. Pops was the face of those teams. Carl did it with those guys and without em. And Mike Hall was the glue of all of it. Oh, and the leading scorer in GW history played in that decade.

For me, I go Pops. He just defined those teams. And his injury probably cost them the most. But there's no wrong answer to this question.

While clearly NOT the answer to this question, we should also through a loving mention to Dokun, who sacrificed for GW and kept the team's success rolling for an extra year.

Love the Dokun shout out, definitely the most impactful walk-on of my era (since 1997).

5/02/2023 3:26 pm  #12

The Dude wrote:

Its interesting how views do tend to change with the passing of time
Here was a GW Fan vote of greatest players of all time, from 10 years ago:

GW Men's Basketball Top 10 Players Fan Vote
1. Joe Holup
2. Mike Brown
3. Pops Mensah-Bonsu
4. Shawnta Rogers
5. Chris Monroe
6. Yinka Dare
7. Carl Elliott
8. Kwame Evans
9. Bob Tallent
10. Mike Hall

That’s probably a sampling difference more than changing attitudes.  Carl Elliot is probably much more appreciated by the sickos who come to this board in the off-season than he is by the broader fan base that voted in that poll (and Pops probably much more popular among casuals, especially those who were in school then because he’s the guy who got all the media attention, even if true BBall junkies knew it was Carl and Mike who made that team go.)

5/02/2023 4:21 pm  #13

That sounds about right, yet that fan vote IMO largely did a very good job all thing considered!

I do think though that as time passes, some guys guy tend to slide down lists more than their greatness suggests they should

5/02/2023 5:44 pm  #14

Chris Monroe.  Taught all the others how to play hard.  Mike Hall would be my runner up.

Board footera