GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2023 9:30 am  #1

Let's Get Small

I will acknowledge that I had been giving some thought to starting this thread prior to my reading DMVPiranha's and Moneybox's respective responses in the 2023 Transfer thread.  It's somewhat in response to the 50 or so calls for GW to land some bigs (myself included among the 50 or so).  To recap, should we not be consumed with bringing on centers/power forwards (are they even called these anymore?) if the thinking is to load up on guards and wings?  Or as Moneybox so eloquently put it, does size matter?  Here are a number of thoughts.

1) The formula is precedented.  Moneybox mentioned Nova who had great success playing Kyle Lowry, Allan Ray, Mike Nardi and Randy Foye together, each standing between 6'0" and 6'4".  A key cog on this team was 6'7" Curtis Sumpter who averaged 15+/7+ his final season.  Jason Fraser was a legitimate center and 6'8" Will Sheridan also cracked the rotation.  A local center, Dante Cunningham, joined the team a year after their initial success.  Fraser, Sheridan and Cunningham each played enough to suggest that a lineup of the 4 guards plus Sumpter was perhaps more rare than we'd like to think.

Let's stay in the Big 5 and give a nod to La Salle's Sweet 16 team.  When big man Aaric Murray opted to transfer to West Virginia and front court players such as Jerrell Williams and Ruben Guillandeaux were lost to graduation, Dr. John opted to go small.  Within two seasons, the Explorers were often playing Tyreek Duren, Tyrone Garland, Sam Mills and Ramon Galloway, each between 6'0" and 6'3", together.  The fifth was often either Jerrell Wright, an athletic 6'8" player, or Steve Zaks, a 6'11" center who likely dreamt of getting away with setting moving picks in his sleep.  

And of course, there are the past two University of Miami teams who CC had a hand in recruiting and coaching.  There was/is more size on those teams than the other examples, but players like Kameron McGusty (6'5"), Jordan Miller (6'7") and Wooga Poplar (6'5") are part of a new wave of players who are helping turn college basketball into a (somewhat) positionless sport.  Miami lost a legitimate center (albeit a pick and pop player in Sam Waardenburg after 2021-22 and found a bigger role for 6'7" widebody Norchad Omier this past season.

2) What do we give up by going small?  The obvious thought that comes to mind is an inability to stop opposing centers.  However, we have to remember that in the A10, there are not a lot of dominant centers, period.  Let's take SLU as an example.  If we don't have anyone like a Hunter or Noel who can stand up to a Francis Okoro, what does this really mean?  Will SLU remove its focus away from double digit scorers like Collins, Perkins, Pickett and Jimerson (assuming all return which I am uncertain of)  so that Okoro, who averaged under 7 points per game, can attempt to dominate GW?  Not likely.  Let's also remember Rising's cautionary news that at least one big is expected.  Even without this, there remains a combination of players like Darren, Garrett, Benny, Keegan, and Luke (yes, a walk-on, but could prove to offer value)   who at least offer size.  Whether their defensive games can adequately match up remains to be seen, admittedly.

3) I am very far from an expert at advanced analytics but I do know this much.  Gaining possessions relative to the opposition is a huge key to winning games.  There are essentially four ways to achieve this:

a) Force a lot of turnovers
b) Take care of the bal so as to commit very few turnovers
c) Defensive rebounding to prevent second chances
d) Offensive rebounding to create second chances

Look at the depth we've been compiling at the guard and wing spots...JB, Max, Trey, Jacoi, Christian, Benny, Garrett, Keegan.  Maybe Darren (though am guessing he is more of a power player)?  Multiple guys on the court at the same time who should be able to handle the ball and protect possessions.  Enough depth that the team can defend more aggressively than this past year when virtually everyone could ill afford foul trouble.  If the plan works, that's a and b.

As for c), I am of the belief that this has as much to do with having the right mindset and commitment as it does size.  Max was a rebounding machine for a guy his height because he knew that this was a huge team need and was willing to go after it.  We all thought that some of the Jamion coached teams were going to get killed on the boards game after game but instead, they made defensive rebounding a massive priority and more than held their own.  (The same could not be set for offensive rebounding where the team would retreat back downcourt the moment after a shot was attempted.)  As long as CC makes this a point of emphasis, I foresee GW being fine on the defensive glass.

Offensive rebounding (d) is likely the deficient area by playing small.  Guys can't be everywhere, all of the time.  If the team plays at a fast pace (which I would anticipate when playing small), be more aggressive defensively, and commit to defensive rebounding, I suspect we will be a below average offensive rebounding team by design.  Still, if a-c are accomplished effectively, I see this as a winning formula and a great way to play. 

5/04/2023 10:30 am  #2

Re: Let's Get Small

Saw a lot of complaints over the last two years here about the inabilities of Dean and Brown to defend the interior, rebound, and stay out of foul trouble. Not sure that having a big is the end all, be all for success. Certainly not going to clamor for one from the bleachers. I’ll settle for the kind of depth on the bench that Caputo wants so he doesn’t feel he needs to regularly play anyone 35+ minutes a game.

5/04/2023 10:33 am  #3

Great post!

I'm also getting some Moneyball vibes from your option C in that we shouldn't be trying to replace Dean & Brown with equivalently tall guys so much as we replace their stats (and hopefully increase them).  I'd take a 6'7" guy who fights for every rebound over a 6'11" Noel Brown every day of the week.  

Mo Allie-Cox was listed at 6'5" and I saw him hold his own against all types of A-10 bigs so like you said about Omier, sometimes being a widebody who can move is more advantageous than being the 7'4" guy UMass got this offseason.

5/04/2023 1:15 pm  #4

Count me among the folks who believes we need to have someone 6'9" or larger who can play 20-25 minutes at a minimum and have decent hands and footwork in the post. Luka Brajkovic had his way with GW when they came to Foggy Bottom a couple of years ago (30 and 8 on 11-14 FG), and while I agree that playing fast and forcing turnovers is a way to negate a big man's advantage, I like having someone who can hang when GW isn't the team dictating the tempo. 

5/04/2023 1:41 pm  #5

The name of the game is matchups. We need answers for small lineups and big ones. I don't think we have enough talent yet to dictate to the point where can just roll out a smaller lineup and expect to be successful in all games. Give me options as to how I can play. I am certain CC wants the most flexibility. If he doesn't get what he wants he may have to change his thinking. But for now, at least serviceable bigs are a must have.

Last edited by GWRising (5/04/2023 1:41 pm)

5/04/2023 1:41 pm  #6

Methinks a lot of this "go small" stuff is a tacit admission that we can't get rim defenders anyway (Armwood was the last). If you want to compete at the highest levels of the A10, you need some tall, athletic guys with broad bodies. Too often GW has had to settle for tall guys who bring literally nothing to the game simply because that's all we could attract. I'm hoping that Caputo can somehow succeed in this area. As for Moe Allie Cox--who is playing tight end in the NFL --and Chris Monroe who was a rebounding  beast at 6'3, those guys were, and still are, a rarety.  

5/04/2023 2:40 pm  #7

Perhaps there is some truth to this moneybox.  Then again, I mentioned three examples of teams who won big while often playing 4 guard lineups.  So while any team should love to have at least one if not several genuine rim protectors (my position is certainly not opposed to having one), my point is that the game has changed in ways which do not necessitate the requirement of having one in order to obtain success.

Watch Hunter Dickerson who has a nice three point stroke but is also regarded as a classic back to the basket post player.  Now, think about how many Hunter Dickersons remain in the game.  Far fewer today tcompared to when Yinka and Sasha were posting up.

5/04/2023 3:20 pm  #8

Obviously we'll put on the court the best players on the roster.  That said, it still upsets me when I think of Orduro having his way under the basket against Dean and Lindo.

5/04/2023 10:43 pm  #9

Since we are in DC - The Home of Go-Go
Let's Get Small
A DC/Go-Go classic by Trouble FunK
circa 1982

Let's Get Small (Special Mix) - YouTube

Board footera