GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/28/2023 3:58 pm  #61

Re: Hunter Dean

I have to agree with the "doom and gloom" guys here, if Larranaga wins the National Title and decides to go out on top, I assume CC would be the top candidate to replace him since he was Larranaga's right-hand man for 20+ years! The same way Kim English's BCS credentials (very good player, top assistant at multiple places) trumped his win-loss record at George Mason, CC's credentials of recruiting and coaching players on both of Larranaga's Final 4 teams will trump what he does at GW. Didn't the current VCU coach Mike Rhoades have an average or poor record at his previous school but got the VCU job (after Will Wade left for LSU) because he was a long-time assistant at VCU?

3/28/2023 4:37 pm  #62

It's a very good point Thomas.  Kim English was a Rick Barnes assistant for three seasons at Tennessee and Barnes is a former head coach at Providence (and at George Mason before that) who is on very good terms with the higher-ups at Providence.  It is no secret or coincidence that Kim is Providence's new head coach.

As for CC, I can't imagine that Jim Larranaga will have more influence on who his replacement will be than John Ruiz.  That is written somewhat facetiously but there is some truth to this.  Ruiz might want a name sure to make a bigger splash.  However, you can count me among the folks who think that Coach L. is coaching Miami again next season, national championship or not.

3/28/2023 8:15 pm  #63

Why would Caputo be the choice over the current associate head coach, who is there for this run and also has history with Larrananga?  https://miamihurricanes.com/sports/mbball/roster/season/2022-23/coach/bill-courtney-ahc/

3/28/2023 11:12 pm  #64

Highly, highly doubt CC has any shot at the Miami. If he was next in line, why would he leave for a one or two year stint at GW in the first place? He would have just stayed at Miami. If he was already the heir apparent, going to another program, especially a middling one like GW, would only hurt his job prospects.

3/29/2023 7:55 am  #65

GWGrad2013 wrote:

Highly, highly doubt CC has any shot at the Miami. If he was next in line, why would he leave for a one or two year stint at GW in the first place? He would have just stayed at Miami. If he was already the heir apparent, going to another program, especially a middling one like GW, would only hurt his job prospects.

I wonder if returning to the DMV was too attractive an opportunity for the family. But additionally, it's worth noting that Miami did have a change at AD in the last few years, and it's certainly possible that any sorts of succession plans were thrown off kilter. Did Dan Radakovich make it clear that he was not going to hire a coach without experience leading a program? Was Coach Caputo seeing that Coach L wasn't going to go out on top to ensure a tidy succession? Who knows. There are a million variables and a lot of people are influencers in these decisions, from administrators to family members to colleagues. 

And honestly, who cares if he leaves quickly? This program hasn't had anyone leave of their own volition since Mike Jarvis. Wouldn't it be nice to have someone come in and continue positive momentum instead of rebuild?

3/29/2023 8:31 am  #66

GWGrad2013 wrote:

Fully agree that there are too many variables here to reach any definitive conclusions.  There's certainly a chance that Coach L told CC that he planned on coaching at least several more seasons, and that he should get head coaching experience at a place he deemed to be a good fit.  If moving on to a middling program would only hurt his prospects, how then can one explain Kim English's move to Providence?  Moving on to a middling program and leaving them in a better place than where you found them, plus having the right influencers in your corner, goes a long way.

3/29/2023 10:17 am  #67

Just to be very clear, I didn't say this was happening just that I can definitely see a realistic scenario where this could occur. 

As to why CC would take GW if he was next in line is very simple as Gwmayhem indicates. Much like the assistant at Syracuse (Hopkins) who was promised the job when Boeheim retires, CC might have not been willing to wait for something that was open ended and maybe last year looked like it might be years away. The only reason that this enters the discussion now is because Larranaga is in Final Four and there is some speculation he may want to ride off on top should that occur. That wasn't the case a year ago or at any point previously at Miami. 

3/29/2023 11:54 am  #68

It happened with Kyle Neptune... 

3/29/2023 12:45 pm  #69

squid wrote:

It happened with Kyle Neptune... 

Yes, good point.

5/08/2023 12:21 pm  #70

Hunter Dean to LSU

Legit size and bounce, and developed into a skillful big

He will be missed

5/08/2023 12:36 pm  #71

The Dude wrote:

Hunter Dean to LSU

Legit size and bounce, and developed into a skillful big

He will be missed

Seems like a nice step up for him, I guess contingent on how much he plays. Wouldn't be an improvement over GW if he gets buried on the bench.

5/08/2023 12:51 pm  #72

Makes sense. He was the player to be named later in the deal that got us James Bishop.

5/08/2023 1:07 pm  #73

My sources say he's going to be a walk-on. 

5/08/2023 1:11 pm  #74

Congrats to Hunter finding a way back home.  My hunch was a rendezvous with Will Wade at McNeese.

I think this also shows how thin the big man market is in the portal.   Someone can transfer up to the BCS level without ever making an all-conference team.

5/08/2023 1:36 pm  #75

Congrats to Hunter.  Hope it works out for him and he can have  a career overseas.   

5/08/2023 1:51 pm  #76

Buff&BlueBandit wrote:

Makes sense. He was the player to be named later in the deal that got us James Bishop.

They still owe us for Bernard Woodside.   (Was Bernard the only player who ever played for the Colonials who made it to a final four team?)

5/08/2023 2:02 pm  #77

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Buff&BlueBandit wrote:

They still owe us for Bernard Woodside.   (Was Bernard the only player who ever played for the Colonials who made it to a final four team?)

That trade was completed with Regis Koundjia.

5/08/2023 2:03 pm  #78

GW0509 wrote:

(Was Bernard the only player who ever played for the Colonials who made it to a final four team?)

Lasan Kromah won the whole thing.

5/08/2023 3:17 pm  #79

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Buff&BlueBandit wrote:

Not presuming the apparent direction that your question intended to ask, but I’d add Bob Tallent to the Colonial who made it to the Final Four.

5/08/2023 8:17 pm  #80

If Dean is in fact a walk-on at LSU, does that preclude him from getting NIL money?

Board footera