GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/10/2023 11:51 am  #1

Huggins

Huggins goes on radio and uses language that is, in no uncertain terms, offensive. 69 year old white man hopping on the radio and using that word TWICE. Unprompted. What's his punishment? For one year, he will drop from 4.2M of salary to 3.2M of salary. Meanwhile, these coaches will complain about the "wild west" of NIL, as if that's the problem. The problem isn't some insensitive asshole white guy coaching these kids. We'd rather make the problem that these kids might actually make some money. Huggins will lose 1M. That money WILL NOT go to the athletes that will allow Huggins to make 3.2M. You take that money, and divide it evenly among the 15 scholarship players, and they've all made 66k this year. 

How Huggins can keep his job is beyond me. 

5/10/2023 12:01 pm  #2

Re: Huggins

Holy unrelated things! First of all, I'm not defending Huggins or his use of the word twice. But your sole focus on that word while ignoring the separate offense to Catholics is interesting. Huggins also being white has zero to do with it even though you took time to mention that twice. I've heard plenty of other non-whites use that same term over the years including recently. What this has to do with NIL is beyond me either. Perhaps sticking to the fact that Huggins shouldn't have said what he said and should be punished for it would be better than trying to rope in a number of irrelevant things to make your point.  

5/10/2023 12:44 pm  #3

Rising- his fine surely has very little to do with referencing Catholics, though I have no problem adding in the fact that Huggins shouldn't be saying offensive things to Catholics either. You want to call all of these things unrelated, but I do not believe they are.

1. Huggins is white- you want to pretend that plays no role in anything, but I disagree. Huggins race, like most white folks (me included) has surely played a role in his ability to gain connections and push his way up the ranks. And it surely plays a role in his comfort in using the offending words on the air. If you don't believe race has anything to do with the comfort of a man with a $4.2M a year job using those words on the air, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

2. Yes, people of other races use this word. I'm not dumb and I know lots of people from lots of communities use this word (even if it shouldn't be used). I'm not dumb enough to think that Huggins is the only basketball coach to use this word (of any race). He's the only coach dumb enough to use it on air in a radio spot. And the fact that he can keep his job after that is appalling. If other people are using that word in their professional lives, they should be fired too. If you're letting that stand without responding when you hear it, that's on you.

3. Any time money is involved in college athletics, I believe the issue of NIL and player payment should be discussed. Where is that million dollars the University just saved going to go? Is it going to go back to the basketball program so Huggins can keep succeeding as a coach? To his assistants to allow him to keep trying to succeed? To professors? I don't know- neither do you (I'm guessing you don't, though your assumptions would be more well educated than mine here). But I know where that money is NOT going. That money is NOT going to players. Huggins takes a 1M cut (leaving him with a lowly 3.2M for the year). He then gets to implore his (largely black) players to keep playing hard for him so that he can keep earning money, and hopefully succeed and make more money. Your belief that these things are not interconnected only stems from your willingness to ignore that players should be compensated (in cash) for making other people rich. This 1M fine is nothing off Huggins' back. It has relatively little impact on the University. It would have an impact on the student athletes that allow the school to earn enough money to pay a coach 4.2M (now 3.2M).

So yes, money makes all of these things connect. 

5/10/2023 1:23 pm  #4

How about firing Huggins for what should have obviously been considered a fireable offense?  Thom Brennaman got fired for saying the same word (minus the attack towards Catholics).  And Brennaman was off-air when he made his remark (spoken into a hot mic), unlike Huggins who blurted it out twice over the radio airwaves. 

Dana O'Neil had a great column yesterday.  This boiled down to West Virginia weighing their coach's value to the university against committing a fireable offense.  Highly predictable that he kept his job.  Many non-HOF coaches would not have.

That $1 million that WVU will not be paying to Huggins?  Donate it to both LGBTQ causes and Catholic charities.  Pretty simple where that money should go.

5/10/2023 1:52 pm  #5

Gwmayhem wrote:

How about firing Huggins for what should have obviously been considered a fireable offense?  Thom Brennaman got fired for saying the same word (minus the attack towards Catholics).  And Brennaman was off-air when he made his remark (spoken into a hot mic), unlike Huggins who blurted it out twice over the radio airwaves. 

Dana O'Neil had a great column yesterday.  This boiled down to West Virginia weighing their coach's value to the university against committing a fireable offense.  Highly predictable that he kept his job.  Many non-HOF coaches would not have.

That $1 million that WVU will not be paying to Huggins?  Donate it to both LGBTQ causes and Catholic charities.  Pretty simple where that money should go.

Just where West Virginia taxpayers want their dollars going!

5/10/2023 2:13 pm  #6

Huggins should be fired for what he did; I have watched him coach effectively for decades but I have always thought I would not want to spend a minute with him.

5/10/2023 3:02 pm  #7

danjsport wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

Just where West Virginia taxpayers want their dollars going!

Wow.  This misses the point rather badly.  FWIW, West Virginia taxpayers do not get a say on whether it's a good or bad idea to pay their head basketball coach $4.2 million annually, either.  Those groups who were aggrieved by the insensitive remarks ought to be the ones who are compensated.  

Let's get back to your suggestion for a moment.  The head coach fucks up, gets docked $1 million in pay, and his players subsequently receive a sizable extra reward for his screw-up?  Not too sure what to make of the type of message this would send to young adults?  

5/10/2023 3:12 pm  #8

Hard to believe someone with his (lack of a) graduation rate is able to be on the faculty at a University, much less a state´s flagship one.
Then he externalizes his bigotry? No room for that, whether it is displayed on the public airwaves or in a video-taped practice. He is welcome to his hateful views, but since Brown vs Board of Education those views have no place in an academic environment. (Insert quip about WVU not being an "academic environment" here ____).
Honsestly, I am sure needy students can think up some better uses for $4.2 million/year of WVU´s money.

5/11/2023 10:50 am  #9

danjsport wrote:

Rising- his fine surely has very little to do with referencing Catholics, though I have no problem adding in the fact that Huggins shouldn't be saying offensive things to Catholics either. You want to call all of these things unrelated, but I do not believe they are.

1. Huggins is white- you want to pretend that plays no role in anything, but I disagree. Huggins race, like most white folks (me included) has surely played a role in his ability to gain connections and push his way up the ranks. And it surely plays a role in his comfort in using the offending words on the air. If you don't believe race has anything to do with the comfort of a man with a $4.2M a year job using those words on the air, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

2. Yes, people of other races use this word. I'm not dumb and I know lots of people from lots of communities use this word (even if it shouldn't be used). I'm not dumb enough to think that Huggins is the only basketball coach to use this word (of any race). He's the only coach dumb enough to use it on air in a radio spot. And the fact that he can keep his job after that is appalling. If other people are using that word in their professional lives, they should be fired too. If you're letting that stand without responding when you hear it, that's on you.

3. Any time money is involved in college athletics, I believe the issue of NIL and player payment should be discussed. Where is that million dollars the University just saved going to go? Is it going to go back to the basketball program so Huggins can keep succeeding as a coach? To his assistants to allow him to keep trying to succeed? To professors? I don't know- neither do you (I'm guessing you don't, though your assumptions would be more well educated than mine here). But I know where that money is NOT going. That money is NOT going to players. Huggins takes a 1M cut (leaving him with a lowly 3.2M for the year). He then gets to implore his (largely black) players to keep playing hard for him so that he can keep earning money, and hopefully succeed and make more money. Your belief that these things are not interconnected only stems from your willingness to ignore that players should be compensated (in cash) for making other people rich. This 1M fine is nothing off Huggins' back. It has relatively little impact on the University. It would have an impact on the student athletes that allow the school to earn enough money to pay a coach 4.2M (now 3.2M).

So yes, money makes all of these things connect. 

1. Yes, if you think being white had any role in this I don't know what to say. LGBTQ community and Catholics are predominantly white. No, Huggins was more comfortable because he is a HC of a major university making a lot of money and over the years has been used to people kissing his ass and agreeing with his every thought. It had nothing whatsoever to do with anything but that. Bigots come in all colors, sizes and shapes.

2. It is you making the connection that virtually no one else has made. But I will play. Why should that money go back to the individual athletes? Did they do something in connection with Huggins' statements? It's like saying that a speeding fine imposed by the state should be redistributed to selected certain individuals because they happened to be in the vicinity when the offender was pulled over. The money saved belongs to the University. Whether and where they choose to spend it or not is their business. I would remind you that that money ultimately belongs to the taxpayers of West Virginia as WVU is a publicly funded institution. Certain selected individuals who were not the target of the statement should not benefit.

5/12/2023 9:38 am  #10

1. The difference we have here is that you seem to disregard that Huggins being white had anything to do his being in a position of being a HC at a major university, people kissing his ass, and making a lot of money. I'm suggesting that if he were black and as big an asshole as he's been, he would not be in this position in the first place. Bigots DO come in all colors, shapes, and sizes. Bigots willing to get on radio and television and make those statements tend to be white...

2.  Again, the disconnect is you're trying to connect it to the action. I'm trying to say the money should never have been given to Huggins in the first place. He'll be fine with 1M less. AND that money could have been given to players. 66k a year. For 15 players. Of course, NCAA's dumb rules don't let this happen. Of course, taxpayer dollars are at play and heaven forbid the West Virginia taxpayers should pay the people that are providing their entertainment. Instead, they pay Huggins...

5/12/2023 10:49 am  #11

danj, I'm not really sure that anyone would argue that: a) the college basketball coaching profession is a vastly overpaid one (not referring to lower-level assistants starting out but certainly true among many head coaches and Associate Head Coaches) and b) it would be nice in this day and age to allow players to receive more than a scholarship and ancillary expenses, given the extraordinary amounts of money that flow to the NCAA member schools and trickles down from there.  The issue though is that these things were true well before the Huggins incident.  You seem to be writing a cause and effect narrative that I don't believe exists.  Perhaps you can make a case that a black coach is less likely to display bigoted behavior and I'm willing to buy that.  But how many white coaches have displayed such ugly behavior?  Sure there are a few, but the vast majority have never been repimanded for bigoted behavior.  I'm more inclined to believe Rising's interpretation, that Huggins is a very successful coach who essentially has had nobody to answer to and has been blatantly coddled and pacified throughout his career than I am to suggest that hiss kin color had much to do with this.  Not when so many other white coaches have ever come close to approaching this line.

Let's also add that his suspension has been announced at three games.  Further proof that the powers that be at WVU care far more about  staying competitive and competing for championships than they are about doing the morally correct thing.

5/12/2023 3:39 pm  #12

Recently the Dalai Lama kissed a child on the lips then asked him to “suck his tongue”.I don’t believe 
he is a pedophile -I’m fairly certain he is so used to people buying into his every word for decades that 
it was just a spontaneous thought that flew out of his noggin.Not an excuse-just an explanation.

6/17/2023 12:12 pm  #13

DUI …. .21 BAC

That should be the end of his career but in WVA who knows?

6/17/2023 1:26 pm  #14

Most folks blacked out before that number!

6/17/2023 4:08 pm  #15

GWRising wrote:

DUI …. .21 BAC

That should be the end of his career but in WVA who knows?

Forget coaching, this is his third DUI.  He needs to go to jail before he kills someone.  I know 3 DUIs in Virginia is a minimum of a year in jail.  He’s lucky they were in different states.

Plus, you know how much a guy his size has to drink to blow a .21?  Crazy amounts.

6/17/2023 5:02 pm  #16

For any one else in his position, this should do it. But we’ll see…..

“When officers asked where Huggins thought he was, he answered “Columbus” multiple times.

Officers say they asked Huggins where he was approximately 10 times, and he was unable to come up with the right response once.

Court documents show police ran a series of sobriety tests on Huggins, and every marker for impairment was seen.

Police say they found empty beer cans in a garbage bag on the front passenger side floorboard, and another garbage bag of empty metal beer bottles in the trunk of Huggins’ SUV. An empty cooler was found behind the center console as well, police say.”

6/17/2023 5:40 pm  #17

What kind of a university has on its facutly a homophobe who never graduates anyone while repeatedly getting caught driving drunk? WVU, the ball is in your court...

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (6/17/2023 7:19 pm)

6/17/2023 9:01 pm  #18

Huggins resigns!

7/11/2023 7:51 am  #19

7/11/2023 12:21 pm  #20

I understand a lot of things, particularly as I get older.

Everyone would like to leave on their own terms.
Many individuals do not look forward to retirement.  They fret over how they will occupy their time.
We all have egos; some far larger than others.

Whether this is interesting or not, what I do know is that this is sad.  As in incredibly pathetic.  I suppose you can argue that anyone with multiple drunk driving incidents who also very knowingly made homophobic remarks while making a radio appearance may certainly be lacking self-respect, but to the extent that he has any, he should end this legal campaign to get his job back right now.  Am willing to guess that he does not know any better largely due to all of the enablers and WVU friends and fans in his life who have never stood up to him in the past about anything.  Huggins is that not so rare combination of part bully and part a-hole.  His time is more than up.  Changing attorneys while blatantly lying about his own recent resignation in a last ditch effort to get his job back would be beneath almost everyone out there.  And his (interim) replacement, Josh Eilert, who has been on staff for the past 16 years?  You're attempting to take away his opportunity as well.  

Board footera