GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/24/2023 7:46 pm  #161

Re: GW's NIL Collective: Friends of George + General Discussion

As many of you are aware the Friends of George Collective has run into some hurdles, but is still being actively worked on and will come into existence in the near future. But with that's said there is an alternative that our own GW alum Aahil Shermohammed is personally involved in. MyNILpay

MyNilPay is a way for you to directly sponsor/support GW athletes.
This is available on the Apple App Store.  Link

You can select a particular player and he will directly receive your support and in return you get "a signed, digital collectible."

I tested it and sent support to both James and Maximus . Incoming players will be added once they enroll.
A little can add up if they get multiple supporters.

Below are some articles regarding MyNILpay

Panthers' Andy Dalton Commits to Providing NIL Deals to 450-Plus TCU Athletes

From Angel Reese to little-known locals, you can now pay your favorite college stars directly with the 'Venmo of student athletes'

myNILpay app launches allowing college sports fans to pay student-athletes for 'unique digital assets'

**BTW I am not in anyway affiliated with this app etc.. Just trying to support GW athletes**

Last edited by Florida Colonial (5/24/2023 7:47 pm)

5/25/2023 9:14 am  #162

I hope some of you will consider using this at least until the FOG is up and running.

BTW if you had made a monthly FOG donation this should have stopped. The existing donations will roll into the new entity once it is finalized.

Last edited by Florida Colonial (5/25/2023 9:15 am)

6/02/2023 9:18 am  #163

I'm going to admit that I wish I understood NIL a whole lot better than I do.  

My basic understanding seems to be as follows:

1) Despite the enormous revenue which has flowed into nthe NCAA and its member schools, none of this money is considered NIL money.  I think this is important because it enabled the NCAA to yield to pressure regarding NIL.  They might as well have said, "fine.  Pay them.  Just don't touch our money."  This doesn't sit particularly well because one of the arguments for paying players, in addition to compensating them for how hard they work as athletes, was that college athletics were making gazillions off of their backs.  Coaches, athletic directors, and senior administrators each take home generally nice paychecks.  So what NIL is doing is it's bringing additional sources of funding to the forefront.

2) The landmark Ed O'Bannon court case is what got NIL rolling.  And sure, this makes a lot of sense.  If EA Sports (or whichever company) is going to profit based on the name/image/likeness of college athletes, it only makes sense that the athletes are compensated for this.

3) So here's how I thought NIL was going to work.  If a DC area company wanted James Bishop to appear in a commercial, or otherwise endorse its products or services, then James would receive compensation for this.  Bryce Young got a national deal with Dr. Pepper.  But there's obviously far more local deals to go around than national ones.  Moving away from endorsements, an athlete was going to have to DO SOMETHING in exchange for receiving NIL payments.  Sign autographs.  Generate social media posts.  Make a public appearance.  In short, it appeared to me that corporate America was going to be footing the bill for NIL.

4) Instead, it seems like the audience for compensating athletes is comprised of you and me.  Pay the players.  Don't be concerned about what you're receiving in return.  If you want Player A to come to your school, earmark some money for him.  If you'd like to keep Player B from transferring, pay up.

I'm guessing that some of you know a lot more about this than I do.  Please let me know if I am off-base, or what I am missing. 

6/02/2023 10:15 am  #164

You've got it right Mayhem.  It's now basically the same as it always was with boosters dropping bags of cash to players, only now everyone can legally be a booster.  Kind of like sports betting in a way.

The NCAA at one time said that schools were not allowed to entice recruits to commit with NIL $ (I believe schools were supposed to only describe the types of "NIL Opportunities" available to student athletes). However, following any CBB accounts online you'll see that basically players and their "agents" are negotiating directly with coaches over the specific NIL $ it will take to get them to commit.  We saw that firsthand here with Ish Massoud.  Some states are even now allowing the school's fundraising arm to collect and distribute NIL payments. Inside the NIL battle that is splintering the SEC: ‘We’re all money laundering’ - Sports Illustrated.

I think the big fight soon will be with the Collectives that set up as non-profits.  Right now, most NIL money cannot be written off as a charitable donation.  This may end up limiting the crazy NIL payments down the road outside of the truly stupid rich schools like Texas as people generally don't like giving money away.

The Collectives that set up as non-profits may have a hard time justifying their charitable purpose if the IRS ever decides to investigate.  It also could be a backdoor way for Congress to regulate NIL without regulating the NCAA or NIL generally.

Last edited by GW0509 (6/02/2023 11:15 am)

6/09/2023 9:25 pm  #165

GW0509 wrote:

I think the big fight soon will be with the Collectives that set up as non-profits…

The Collectives that set up as non-profits may have a hard time justifying their charitable purpose if the IRS ever decides to investigate.  It also could be a backdoor way for Congress to regulate NIL without regulating the NCAA or NIL generally.

I believe I had this one.

NEWS: The IRS says that non-profit NIL collectives offering tax deductions could be illegal.

In a memo today, IRS Chief Counsel says donations made to 501(c)(3) collectives “are not tax exempt” because their benefits are not incidental to exempt purposes

https://www.si.com/college/2023/06/10/irs-name-image-likeness-collectives-not-tax-exempt

7/13/2023 8:46 am  #166

The Athletic recently had an interesting article about whether the recent sportswashing efforts on the part of the Saudis could somehow make its way to college athletics.  The consensus appeared to be that while the schools themselves would likely turn away such an investment, athletic directors would be quick to provide the contact information of their affiliated NIL offices.  The schools stay clean this way, or at least their books do, while an influx of capital gets provided to further compensate college athletes.

So, let's say PIF (or is it The PIF) would like to target Washington, DC for this purpose and approach GW among others about providing enough NIL money that GW would be able to financially compete with most schools in the country for players.  How would you feel about GW's NIL office accepting a meaningful Saudi investment for this purpose?

I get to go first.  First, going back to arguments I heard and read regarding LIV golf, it is, in my mind,  a false equivalent to suggest hypocrisy given the fact that the Saudis have invested in many US companies who offer products or services that we consume daily.  This is quite different than starting a competitive golf league and poaching star players with enormous sums of money for the purpose of cleaning up past atrocities, knowing all the while that you can lose repeated lawsuits but still end up the winner because of your deep pockets. 

With this as background, I could never get past the human rights violations and heinous acts of the Saudi government.  While GW would likely have a far more successful program (no guarantee of this obviously but it does stand to reason that "buying" better players gets you a better team), the cost in doing so would be heavily tainted.  Like many of you, I desperately would like to see GW soar as a program and become a legitimate national contender.  If not that, then as close to this as they could get.  But unfortunately, not this way.

Some of you may have very different opinions about this, and am interested in reading your thoughts.  If nothing else, this has the potential for an interesting off-season discussion.

7/13/2023 2:27 pm  #167

I think you are a little late to the party ... while not basketball specific but I don't distinguish between athletics and the University, GW has already accepted mucho dinero from the Saudis ...

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/us-universities-continue-accept-millions-dollars-gifts-saudi-arabia

7/13/2023 3:06 pm  #168

Great topic Gw.  After watching the senate hearing on the proposed partnership between PGA and PIF (+/- The) I was fascinated by Jimmy Dunne, a recently appointed CFO and PGA board member.  His story is fascinating in that on the morning of 9/11 he missed being in the World Trade Center because he was playing in a qualifying USGA golf tournament. Meanwhile his investment firm went down with the towers and he lost 66 employees and was devastated. He provided support for all the families and kid’s college tuitions.
He views PIF as the largest source of available funding, and was able to put Saudi atrocities aside.  He also saw LIV as a threat to PGA, which he dearly loves. So he wants certain guarantees in the new entity, whatever that is.
As for NIL and Saudi investment at GW, I’m still trying to figure out NIL alone.  I know how it came about but don’t know how it is administered.  I guess it replaces the brown bag filled with 100’s given by boosters back in my day, and makes it legal.  Is there a vetting process for all investors?  How much is needed to be competitive?  Does a donation go to the university or just to the basketball team / individual player.
I know Bronny James is getting 7 million at least as a freshman at USC. He could find that in his fathers couch.
Looking forward to getting educated on this topic.

8/31/2023 11:07 pm  #169

9/01/2023 8:25 am  #170

Not really a new world, but definitely more transparent.  Actually evens the playing field by allowing the rule followers to compete with the "cheaters".

1/11/2024 8:17 pm  #171

Join Friends of George, GW's alumni-led Name, Image & Likeness (NIL) program, on Thursday, January 18 at 7:00 PM, for a webinar discussing the NIL program at GW & how GW's approach to NIL compares to other schools. Panelists include Director of Athletics Tanya Vogel, GW School of Business Visiting Assistant Professor of Sport Management Meredith Geisler, & Blueprint Sports.

Questions for the panel can be submitted through a Q&A box during the webinar.

https://connect.gwu.edu/site/Calendar?id=125629&view=Detail

1/11/2024 8:22 pm  #172

1/12/2024 1:58 pm  #173

Glad they changed (or hopefully just corrected) it from pre-submitted questions only to a Q and A box.
Though not sure screening questions in any manner from your most ardent supporters is a great
idea, as opposed to actual Q and A.

1/12/2024 8:46 pm  #174

jf wrote:

Glad they changed (or hopefully just corrected) it from pre-submitted questions only to a Q and A box.
Though not sure screening questions in any manner from your most ardent supporters is a great

I can see both sides. I too hope this is not a North Korea-esque press briefing, but given we’re still a week out, if they’re getting a bunch of the same questions, maybe they can tweak the presentation to reflect the info people want to know. 

1/12/2024 8:55 pm  #175

Bad look screening questions for something new like this. Also thin the occasional sessions with Caputo - where you have to type out questions in real time is goofy too. Just take  live questions via zoom like any number of calls we all do every day.  That kind of interaction is fun amd it builds goodwill.

1/12/2024 9:01 pm  #176

GW0509 wrote:

jf wrote:

I can see both sides. I too hope this is not a North Korea-esque press briefing, but given we’re still a week out, if they’re getting a bunch of the same questions, maybe they can tweak the presentation to reflect the info people want to know. 

Advantage of Q&A box is to present actual question for a response and avoiding extraneous speechifying pre-question. Given nature of issue, have to believe moderators are not auditioning to play for Schoonmaker’s  softball team but looking to explain current state of NIL’s in general, possible impact of new school takeover supposedly under consideration by NCAA and situation specifically at GW.

Last edited by Poog (1/12/2024 9:02 pm)

1/12/2024 11:23 pm  #177

Alum1 wrote:

Bad look screening questions for something new like this. Also thin the occasional sessions with Caputo - where you have to type out questions in real time is goofy too. Just take  live questions via zoom like any number of calls we all do every day.  That kind of interaction is fun amd it builds goodwill.

Well said.

1/16/2024 2:33 pm  #178

The school has gone back to marketing the NIL event as only questions in advance.

https://twitter.com/GW_MBB/status/1747332895998648639?t=SuP51C-poV2BTw4moud2fg&s=19

1/16/2024 6:32 pm  #179

I am fine with the questions in advance. It's potentially a larger audience and zoom calls with many participants randomly asking questions can often become unwieldy. If you have additional questions I am sure there will be a forum to ask them. The idea behind advanced questions is to keep it moving (given the finite time) and to try to eliminate redundant or similar questions. This isn't some press conference with hard hitting journalism.

1/18/2024 7:06 pm  #180

GWRising wrote:

I am fine with the questions in advance. It's potentially a larger audience and zoom calls with many participants randomly asking questions can often become unwieldy. If you have additional questions I am sure there will be a forum to ask them. The idea behind advanced questions is to keep it moving (given the finite time) and to try to eliminate redundant or similar questions. This isn't some press conference with hard hitting journalism.

Then why wouldn't you take questions via say email during the event? You're still screening questions. Only accepting questions in advance prevents viewers from submitting questions as they arise from new information.

Board footera