GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/17/2023 2:27 pm  #501

Re: 2023 Transfer Portal Szn

Someone help me understand this.  He played 15 minutes over the course of the entire last season and didn’t score a single field goal.  I understand he may be a shot blocker/rim protector that we badly need, but he received “walk on” minutes.   Not even sure how you scout a player like this.  What am I missing?

6/17/2023 2:34 pm  #502

For me, I look at the fact that he was a 4-star coming out of HS, that he can contribute right away, and be a supporting member of the team. That's about all we can ask for at this point in the recruiting calendar.

It's not lost on me that if Houston was recruiting him then he likely has the kind of ability we could use.  

6/17/2023 3:03 pm  #503

I’m with LSF on this one.Of course,anything is possible-but I’ve got to say my heart didn’t skip a beat when 
I saw the commitment.And I have Atrial Fibrillation!!! I surmise that Houston didn't want him badly enough to
cough up some NIL deals so as to level the playing field.I would love to be wrong on Akingbola.

Last edited by GW69 (6/17/2023 3:12 pm)

6/17/2023 3:32 pm  #504

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Someone help me understand this.  He played 15 minutes over the course of the entire last season and didn’t score a single field goal.  I understand he may be a shot blocker/rim protector that we badly need, but he received “walk on” minutes.   Not even sure how you scout a player like this.  What am I missing?

He’s definitely an unknown. He was behind multiple NBA players on the depth chart in 21-22 after getting consistent minutes in the COVID year. Not sure what happened last season.

Instead of thinking he’ll come in and be a force, ideally we just needed someone who can at least match what we got from Noel Brown. I think Stretch can do that (he looks like his footwork is better than Noel’s) while hopefully avoiding the dumb fouls/turnovers.

As we all know we were in the running for some more highly touted bigs so at this point in the summer I think we should be happy we got someone with an SEC pedigree. Not for nothing but he stayed 4 years at Auburn when most would’ve transferred out already. Shows he’s a loyal guy.

Last edited by GW0509 (6/17/2023 3:38 pm)

6/17/2023 3:46 pm  #505

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

If all we are getting is 10 minutes per game of rim protection, I will gladly take that. 

And maybe he’ll thrive with more playing time.

6/17/2023 4:26 pm  #506

Very happy with the commit and I agree that getting a real rim protector (sounds like that's what he's best at) is a huge asset for us. If he can provide some rebounding and the occasional post move I'm good with that.

Worst case, he's another big body inside (one that we didn't have before this commit) and it's a one year deal.

6/17/2023 4:30 pm  #507

GWRising wrote:

moneybox wrote:

Again please don't use "a transfer is likely" language again. Too many heartbreaks!

I don't post every time and when I do up until this point it's been 100%. Sit tight and let's see what happens.

Oh ye of little faith! If I post it here, 99 of 100 times you can mortgage the house.

6/17/2023 5:01 pm  #508

? Hard to judge someone who hasn't played much at all. Just strange.

6/18/2023 7:32 am  #509

“You can’t teach height” and he has height. Hoping a little experience and some “coaching up” mixed in with playing against non SEC big men will be the ticket.

Happy with the pick up!

6/18/2023 8:12 am  #510

GW Rising: You did get this one right. Congrats. You and others have hardly been right, however, 99% of the time. I still think it preferable to wait until a recruit or transfer commits instead of raising our hopes only to have them dashed much more often then not--particularly in the face of all this NIL money that larger programs have to throw around.

6/18/2023 11:19 am  #511

moneybox wrote:

GW Rising: You did get this one right. Congrats. You and others have hardly been right, however, 99% of the time. I still think it preferable to wait until a recruit or transfer commits instead of raising our hopes only to have them dashed much more often then not--particularly in the face of all this NIL money that larger programs have to throw around.

I think the speculation is fun even if people aren’t batting 1.000, which not even the best national insiders do. Even if the players don’t commit, the rumors of who we are looking at give some insight into how the coaching staff views roster construction and the style they want to play. It’s just one guy’s opinion but I think credible transfer rumors are a good thing in more ways than one.

6/18/2023 12:27 pm  #512

Agree..this is fun!  We've had to watch the coaching and player carousel since 2016.  Last season it was a pleasure to see coaches and players develop. Absolutely believe that if EJ Clark didn't get hurt, we would've won 20 games.  This coaching staff has the right stuff and it shows.  There are so many new pieces to this roster puzzle (heck they didn't even have enough players for a practice squad last year) that adding a 6'10'' player who can run the floor is a no brainer.  Combine that with a fascinating mix of talented guards and wings...can't wait to see what develops.

6/18/2023 12:35 pm  #513

Rising, keep them coming.

6/18/2023 7:41 pm  #514

moneybox wrote:

I get every one right lol. There is a simple reason for that. My source is infallible. If I post it here, it will happen. The reason I say 99% is because there is the very rare chance that something crazy happens. Go back and check my record. Don't conflate me with other posters who may be making guesses. My posts aren't guesses.

Last edited by GWRising (6/18/2023 7:42 pm)

6/18/2023 7:55 pm  #515

The info coming, Rising!

6/18/2023 11:04 pm  #516

@GWRising, any updates on our international big Freshman recruit? 

6/19/2023 7:53 am  #517

Buff&BlueBandit wrote:

@GWRising, any updates on our international big Freshman recruit? 

Unlike Akingbola, I am less confident on this one. No one has said he’s coming yet. There is a pitched battle going on among a few schools. Not sure how this shakes out. One of the schools involved claimed to have some news coming. Not sure if that involves this kid or not. We are trying is all I can say at this point.

6/19/2023 10:52 am  #518

On a separate note, I don't know how anyone could have an adverse opinion on Akingbola. For whatever it is worth, he was the leading shot blocker in EYBL coming out of high school. Sometimes you just have to trust that CC and staff has evaluated and determined that he's a good fit for us. Plenty of sleepers out there who just need an opportunity. It's not like he was mired on the bench for a NEC team.  

Last edited by GWRising (6/19/2023 10:53 am)

6/19/2023 11:39 am  #519

GWRising wrote:

On a separate note, I don't know how anyone could have an adverse opinion on Akingbola. For whatever it is worth, he was the leading shot blocker in EYBL coming out of high school. Sometimes you just have to trust that CC and staff has evaluated and determined that he's a good fit for us. Plenty of sleepers out there who just need an opportunity. It's not like he was mired on the bench for a NEC team.  

I am not disagreeing with anything you are saying, however please don't confuse "having concerns" with "having an adverse opinion".   So far, I have no reason not to trust this staff which seems to have set a fairly high bar in its recruiting standards from what we are saying.  In fact, I was disappointed when it was suggested that he may be going elsewhere and relieved that he is coming to GW, having been already aware of his college numbers;  however I am sure you can understand our concerns about his 4 year college resume and the fact that he played only 15 minutes over an etnire season.  I will say that I saw somewhere on the internet that he was considered a 3 star transfer.

6/19/2023 8:15 pm  #520

David Korn
@david_korn4
·
24m
Incoming grad transfer Babatunde Akingbola is working with the NCAA to try and have his senior year at Auburn count as a redshirt because he was dealing with an injury, he tells me. 

If successful, Akingbola will have two years of eligibility at GW.

Board footera