GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/14/2020 12:44 pm  #1

KenPom Article on Transfers

Excellent article by Ken Pomeroy in The Athletic ($) about the drivers of college basketball transfers.  Not going to cut/paste, but some of the interesting points:

* 41% of freshmen stayed the full four years with their original school in the period he studied, 46% if they played in their home state
* That rate dropped to 29% if there was a coaching change
* 76% of Ivy/Patriot League seniors started with the same team versus 40% of Power 6 seniors
* This one is really interesting:  Retention rate for freshmen goes up from the high 20%s to almost 60% as their minutes played goes up, but after around 700 minutes in their first season, retention rate dives to around 40% (just noting that Jamison are Jameer are at 555 and 441 minutes, respectively)

Worth the read (and The Athletic is worth the money if you can get a good introductory deal)

1/14/2020 9:41 pm  #2

Re: KenPom Article on Transfers

I wonder why the retention rate drops down to 40% if minutes are above 700. I assume there are a lot of transfers from mid majors to power conferences? Thanks for sharing!

1/15/2020 10:10 am  #3

Bmac3920 wrote:

I wonder why the retention rate drops down to 40% if minutes are above 700. I assume there are a lot of transfers from mid majors to power conferences? Thanks for sharing!

This figure includes not just transfers but anyone who leaves school early to play professionally (or leaves school for any other reason before using up one's eligibility).  I'd think it would also include a grad transfer who finishes his undergrad work in 3 years.  So, when the minutes are higher than 700, there's a greater likelihood of turning pro early or of becoming a grad transfer after 3 years.

1/15/2020 12:23 pm  #4

Implication is that both those things happen:  Frosh who get starters minutes more likely to go pro early or transfer up.

1/15/2020 3:51 pm  #5

I´d be interested to see the data on university students overall transfer rates (ie general student body population, not just jocks). Of course, we know the graduation rate without transfer is higher for non-athlete students and that the NCAA exists to make bank off 18-22 year-olds with mad sports skills, but it would be a good piece of data to throw out at them every time they sanctimoniously bring their vindictive rules down on someone. 
(Full disclosure, I was a full-time student at Oregon before transfering to GW, where I graduated. I also earned college credit at two other schools-- some units at a nearby college when I was in high school and some from my year abroad program sponsored by Kansas).

Board footera