GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/19/2023 8:58 pm  #521

Re: 2023 Transfer Portal Szn

I agree with GWRising's insider information being accurate every time, keep the information coming! 

With Akingbola now signed, it seems as if GW now has a credible starting 5 and some decent options off the bench depending on whether or not the freshman are ready to make immediate contributions. What is the recruiting strategy from this point on? Is CC satisfied with the roster? Is he still looking for more players for the upcoming season?

6/20/2023 8:28 am  #522

For both good reasons and not so good reasons, I am excited about Akingbola.  Sure, this has "blatant hit or miss" written all over it.  To offer a few comparisons, Stretch has the opportunity to provide on defense what Hunter Dean provided last season on offense.  This fits with CC's philosophy since he tends to be a more defensive-minded coach.  On this team, it appears that defense is a more scarce commodity than offense right now, so this move helps to balance the scale a bit.  Two former names who come to mind are Joe Katuka and Hermann Opoku.  Katuka was a Montverde product who had a very polished offensive game while at GW.  Opoku prepped at South Kent and was more of a defensive threat.  Each had solid coaching which helped enable them to contribute at the next level (though Joe far more than Hermann).  Having been at Auburn for 4 seasons, I am confident that Bruce Pearl and his staff have helped shape his game.  He was a 4 star/3 star out of high school.  Never has been a scorer and should not be counted on for much.  Nevertheless, if he can stay on the court for 25+ minutes a game as a true rim protector, Stretch will become a very important cog on this team.

The not-so-good reason..it's mid-June and how many prospective rim protectors are out there at this point?  If you're not sold based on what Babatunde did at Auburn, then you should be sold on the adage that beggars can not be choosers.  This is exactly the type of player we needed; we shall see if he can contribute in a big way.

GWRising, am not sure whether it was your intent to turn this board into the interview portion of professional wrestling but some of your comments did bring back childhood memories of Freddie Blassie and Captain Lou Albano.  IMO, there's no real need to take your perfectly fine track record and turn it into something that it's clearl;y not.  You have been a great source of information but 99% accurate?  In my best Jerry Seinfeld cadence, "I...don't...think...so."  When your information turns out to inaccurate, you consistently offer a good reason for this...player changed his mind, a new party got involved at the 11th hour, etc.  All good.  We understand.  You are likely as accurate as is possible but given the nature of what we've communicating about here, there simply is no such thing as 99%.

6/20/2023 10:13 am  #523

OK Gwmayhem, I didn't do an exact statistical analysis but you get the point. The point is I am not pulling this info from thin air. I have a source and it's a damn good one. If something happens, not only was I inaccurate but so was the source. But you are right. Things do happen that take everyone by surprise. However, I do want everyone to know if I post it here, it is as much of a certainty as it can be.

6/20/2023 10:58 am  #524

Even though Rising is a proto-fascist,reactionary,counter-revolutionary I trust his posts and enjoy his shtickWithout DMV and Rising I would be in the dark on so many fronts.They are indispensable to the 
board.

6/20/2023 1:19 pm  #525

Rising, I am not doubting your track record.  However, when you make statements like if you post it, it will happen or that your hit rate is 99%, sorry but I am going to call remarks like these into question.  Everyone here understands that you're not pulling things out of thin air.  Not like you indicated that we just beat out the University of Houston for a transfer, as an example.

6/20/2023 1:32 pm  #526

Interesting conversation. Crazy new world of college basketball where there are too many unknowns going into a season. Can't say anyone likes it. Where's Bruno Sanmartino when you need him.

6/20/2023 1:43 pm  #527

He never acknowledged that Diaz made the right call-I think?He left the board!Like the rest of us he is now a huge CC fan.I guess it was just the “process”. As you can all surmise I don’t have a lot to do today.Sick in bed.

6/20/2023 1:59 pm  #528

GW69 wrote:

He never acknowledged that Diaz made the right call-I think?He left the board!Like the rest of us he is now a huge CC fan.I guess it was just the “process”. As you can all surmise I don’t have a lot to do today.Sick in bed.

Two things can be true at once. Diaz treated JC poorly and basically undermined him. Diaz is an asshole in my opinion (and by the way I am far from the only one with that opinion) and that won't ever change. He f'ed JC plain and simple and put several others in terrible spots. But he's gone now which helps a lot. If he didn't leave, I probably would have stayed gone.

Separate that from CC who I've never had a problem with and we share a number of mutual friends. It's not CC's fault that Diaz acted like an asshole towards JC. That preceded him. 

So the process was separating the "coach" (here) from the asshole (gone).

6/21/2023 7:16 am  #529

Will Akingbola have one or two years of eligibility? There seems to be a debate over this. 

6/21/2023 8:46 am  #530

moneybox wrote:

Will Akingbola have one or two years of eligibility? There seems to be a debate over this. 

According to Twitter post I can’t find anymore, Akingbola is currently working with the NCAA to get a redshirt for last year seeing as he was injured and played all of 15 minutes last year. If approved, he’d have two years. Otherwise it would just be one year.

6/21/2023 8:48 am  #531

There are some unusual aspects to Akingbola's case for a medical waiver.  He played in 4 of Auburn's first 5 games and then was finished for the sesaon.  So from the standpoint of games played and when an injury took place, he would qualify.  However, it appears that a hardship waiver was not applied for by the Auburn staff, indicating that they were ready to move on and did not want Babatunde on the team for another year.  There is also a deadline associated with applying for the waiver, a date that varies by conference.  Would have to think this deadline has passed.  That said, GW is attempting to explain all of these unusual circumstances in applying for the redshirt on the player's behalf.

One possible murky detail is that any injury must be medically documented in order to discourage fraudulent applications.  Does Auburn or Babatunde have this documentation?

6/28/2023 3:39 pm  #532

Interesting tweet today from Jeff Goodman:

Source: The D-1 Council was also informed the overwhelming majority of the second-time undergrad transfers thus far have been denied waivers. There were exceptions, but minimal. Many of them that have been ruled on thus far were football, but it doesn’t bode well for those trying in basketball.

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status/1674138124790710272?s=46&t=m2xsjs4EY33TDlbMVwhKzQ

To me, the enforcement of the rule against two-time transfers means it’s really smart of CC to be focusing on guys with 3 or 4 years of eligibility left, like Schroder and Buchanan because they can’t transfer again without sitting out a year until they graduate.  Means we should have them for at least 3 years, assuming they stay in college. 

Note that the enforcement of this rule likely means joe Bamasile should have to sit out. And, given that it’ll be his 4th year, he could graduate after this year… and potentially transfer yet again without ever playing a game for VCU.

6/29/2023 5:42 pm  #533

I was thinking the same thing, Free.  Nearly all of the transfers in have lots of eligbility, as much as 4 years.  That makes the liklihood of a second transfer that much less.   It is a great strategy.   I suspect that many of these students have real talent that have did not develop quickly enough for their top 5 programs, who were not willing to wait.  We have seen this at least 3 times now at GW, with Bishop, Adams and Lindo...all coming from top 5 programs and then having to transfer down to get off the bench and becoming solid performers at GW.   Maybe even 4 times, if you count Bamisile.   I think it is a great plan. 

6/30/2023 12:39 pm  #534

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

I was thinking the same thing, Free.  Nearly all of the transfers in have lots of eligbility, as much as 4 years.  That makes the liklihood of a second transfer that much less.   It is a great strategy.   I suspect that many of these students have real talent that have did not develop quickly enough for their top 5 programs, who were not willing to wait.  We have seen this at least 3 times now at GW, with Bishop, Adams and Lindo...all coming from top 5 programs and then having to transfer down to get off the bench and becoming solid performers at GW.   Maybe even 4 times, if you count Bamisile.   I think it is a great plan. 

Don’t forget Armwood and Cavanaugh.

6/30/2023 1:43 pm  #535

Both sat for a year if memory serves.
Wonder how much that not too olden days rule helped develop players.
Tyler actually played pretty well at Wake Forest, though not a mainstay. And became the 
man here.
Zeke really blossomed at GW..
 They were great transfers.
So is Max.
Hoping that CC continues that spotting excellent transfers touch.

9/13/2023 12:06 pm  #536

Joe Bamisile was just had his waiver to play denied.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1701997368021770509

9/13/2023 3:32 pm  #537

That's a shame for Joe.  His rationale for wanting to be able to transfer and play is more than valid.

This is the knee-jerk NCAA we are talking about.  They gave everyone an extra year due to Covid.  With that, they greatly eased the restrictions on transfers.  Everyone got to do so without missing a year and even prior to this, most guys who applied for hardship waivers were given permission to transfer without sitting out.  So this year, they decide that they are going back to making it near-impossible to transfer a second time (or in the case of Joe, a third time) without sitting out. 

But here's the thing...some guys, like Joe, will have perfectly valid reasons for transferring even a third time.  Nevertheless, the NCAA feels it has to now crack down on practically everyone.  If they say yes to Joe, what's to stop others from making the same claim (as if Joe is fabricating medical ailments about his dad)?  This is nonsense...evaluate the real reasons why someone feels they need to transfer, and grant permission (without sitting out a year) if those reasons are legitimate.

9/13/2023 5:15 pm  #538

4 teams in 4 years.  At some point, the NCAA has to say No.   Left Virginia Tech because he did not play.  Left GW due to severe anxiety (silly me...I thought it was the coaching change).  Left Oklahoma due to ailing father (wonder if he would have still left if he was playing 25-30 minutes per game and averaging double digits).   Admittedly, I have some problems with Joe's credibility, but even assuming Joe's dad is as gravely ill as he claims, he will now have more time to spend with him.    

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (9/13/2023 5:15 pm)

9/13/2023 5:41 pm  #539

Wow, didn’t realize Joe had so much going on. I feel bad for him on many levels and hope it all works out for him.

He’s a freakish athlete that should compete on some level in some sport. Did he ever run/jump track?  What a leaper!

And what now? Are all his transcripts at VCU? Is he a student? 

Yes, a lot going on

9/13/2023 7:22 pm  #540

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

4 teams in 4 years.  At some point, the NCAA has to say No.   Left Virginia Tech because he did not play.  Left GW due to severe anxiety (silly me...I thought it was the coaching change).  Left Oklahoma due to ailing father (wonder if he would have still left if he was playing 25-30 minutes per game and averaging double digits).   Admittedly, I have some problems with Joe's credibility, but even assuming Joe's dad is as gravely ill as he claims, he will now have more time to spend with him.    

This is sort of the sentiment the NCAA expressed in its recent statement:

"Citing extenuating factors, such as mental health, does not necessarily support a waiver request but instead may, in some situations, suggest a student-athlete should be primarily focused on addressing those critical issues during the initial transition to a third school."

I too don't want to entirely dismiss Joe's stated reason for transferring but he kind of gives it away in his statement when he says "Despite basketball not being the reason I transferred, continuing to play and the structure, connectivity to my support system and my future earning potential provide the best outlets for me..."

His statement brings up multiple instances of trying to alleviate mental health challenges by transferring schools.  Like the NCAA said, maybe sometimes it's best to settle in and try to treat anxiety/depression/etc. than entering the transfer portal, making a quick decision without even seeing the school (like Joe did at Oklahoma), and hoping you made the right choice.

Board footera