GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/24/2019 8:13 am  #1

The Old Site is Dead; Long Live the Old Site!

Looks like Herve has shut down the site; I know I speak on behalf of just about everyone when I say publicly that my love for GW basketball was sustained in no small part because of Herve and the GWHoops site.  I lost touch with my GW circle for many years, stopped going to games when my kids were born, and have only been able to keep up with the GW basketball community/fandom because of the site.

Herve, I don't think we've ever met, but I sincerely thank you for all you have done for GW basketball fans over the years.

To our 60 or so registered users on this site, I am concerned about how to reach GW fans who might occasionally visit GWHoops, especially toward the start of the basketball season.  PLEASE, share the news about the creation of this site with your friends who might be interested.  I'm going to try to get Google to recognize this site as well.

Herve, thank you for all you have done.  I hope you join this site as well, whether under the Herve name or a pseudonym.  

Barry

7/24/2019 8:48 am  #2

Re: The Old Site is Dead; Long Live the Old Site!

Ideas:

* Talk to herve about eventually redirecting to your site
* Set up a custom domain name which will eventually propagate on search engines/A-10 sites (e.g., colonialtalk.com is available)

7/24/2019 10:36 am  #3

Another idea that may work(but is shameless!! lol) is posting a link to this site in the comments section when GW men's basketball posts something on twitter, facebook, Instagram or any other social media outlet that GW has. If myself or anyone else does this, I'll take full responsibility for any backlash that occurs!! You can say that "Thomas from that board said we should post this link in the comments" HA!

Maybe Herve could have left the site up and only included the thread about this new site, but I understand that the TROLL was going to keep having nonsensical conversations with himself as 10 different people on whatever thread is open, so shutting down the site was the only option. 

7/24/2019 12:29 pm  #4

BM wrote:

Ideas:

* Talk to herve about eventually redirecting to your site
* Set up a custom domain name which will eventually propagate on search engines/A-10 sites (e.g., colonialtalk.com is available)

I actually don't know Herve, nor how to reach him.  However, if anyone does and he is able to redirect for a short period of time (say three month), that would be ideal.  I could get a separate domain name...that could work as well.

Barry

7/24/2019 3:36 pm  #5

Herve's obit for GWHoops. I have to admit that it really makes me feel sad. A couple of jerks ruined 21 years of work by Herve. I hope he joins us here.

"1998 - 2019
Yeah, I'm losing my edge.
I'm losing my edge.
The kids are coming up from behind.
I'm losing my edge.
I'm losing my edge to the kids from Long Island and from Northern Virginia.
But I was there.I was there in 1993. 
I was there in the Marvin Center ballroom for the Sweet Sixteen with George Michael reporting live.
I'm losing my edge.
I'm losing my edge to the kids whose footsteps I hear when they get on the decks.
I'm losing my edge to the Internet seekers who can tell me every member of every good GW basketball team from 1997 to 2005.
I'm losing my edge.To all the kids in Madison and Guthridge.
I'm losing my edge to the Whole Foods shoppers in little jackets and borrowed nostalgia for the unremembered eighties.But I'm losing my edge.
I'm losing my edge, but I was there.
I was there.
But I was there.I'm losing my edge.
I'm losing my edge.
I can hear the footsteps every night on the decks.
But I was there.
I was there in 1995 at the first upset of a #1 in Smith Center history.
I was staking-out a top row bleacher seat with much patience.
I was there when Mike King hit two free throws with no time left on the clock.
I yelled, "Don't miss. You'll never play again."
I was there.
I was the first guy calling for starter's minutes for a freshmen-year Chris Monroe.
I was in the old gold seats.
Everybody thought I was crazy.
We all know.
I was there.
I was there.
I've never been wrong.I used to run a good message board. 
I knew everything before anyone.
I was there when Karl Hobbs leaked his own firing.
I was there when Wilmore air-balled the shot heard around Foggy Bottom.
I woke up happy in Greensboro in 2006.But I'm losing my edge to better-looking people with better ideas and more talent.
And they're actually really, really nice.I'm losing my edge.I heard you have a VHS compilation of every good GW dunk ever done by anybody.
Every great throw-down by Dirk Surles. All the Omar Williams facials.
All the Pinnock highlight reels. I heard you have a DVD of every block Yinka Dare did.
I heard that you have a bootleg of every seminal Kwame Evans three-pointer made against New Mexico State, UMass, Maryland,Virginia Tech.
I heard that you have compilation of every good Rogers pull-up jumper and another of all his steals from 1998.I hear you're taking graduate transfers and international players and are throwing your defensive game-plan out the window because you want to make a winner. You want to have Gonzaga's record.I hear that you and your team have sold your souls to AAU and purchased some top-100 recruits. 
I hear that you and your team have cut ties with AAU teams and deal only with high school coaches.I hear everybody that you know is more relevant than everybody that I know.But have you seen my roster? 
Darrio Scott, Valery Khamenia, Lafonte Johnson, Andrei Sviridov, Matija Debevec, Darnell Miller, Adama Kah, Rene Harry, Ricky Lucas, Kinte Smith, Anthony Wise, Lewie Helton, Mark Lund, Rodney Patterson, Jaason Smith, Daymon Warren, Jaz Cowan, Marquin Chandler, Daniel Soares, Daniel Soares, Daniel Soares, Daniel SoaresYou don't know what you really want.
You don't know what you really want.
You don't know what you really want."

Last edited by chrisw (8/05/2019 5:40 pm)

7/24/2019 5:34 pm  #6

I go back to Mario´s board (as does BGF, I believe) and regret that I am yet to be able to deliver Herve the bottle of aged rum I owe him as a token of gratitude for his decades (!) with the board.
At the same time, I will admit to being a bit "out of it" on tech things so I hope someday someone can explain (to my dimwitted self) what the whole ISP issue was about and perhaps "out" the wanker(s) who ruined his board. That was a real disservice to GWU, GW hoops and the GW community.

7/24/2019 8:39 pm  #7

Question for Barry...  Will you be adding a chat room.  A very enjoyable feature during the games.  Will you also add a donate feature to assist in maintaining this site.

7/26/2019 6:07 am  #8

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Question for Barry...  Will you be adding a chat room.  A very enjoyable feature during the games.  Will you also add a donate feature to assist in maintaining this site.

There does not appear to be a chat room feature in this platform, but we can potentially create one on an external site and link to it from here.  I agree we should have one in place. 

Barry

7/26/2019 12:13 pm  #9

I tweeted about it from gwcolonialhoops, will blog it too.

8/01/2019 8:20 pm  #10

So sad about Herve's site. I was there at the beginning. But the trolls ruined it. Hope Real fans can come together again. I think I also owe Herve  some old 1980ish tapes of GW games I have from the Jarvis era. I think he has a place where they can be archived. 

8/05/2019 4:16 pm  #11

GWHOOPS has been around for a lot longer than 11 years - I'm thinking more than 20 - but I'm getting oldf and possibly senile.

8/05/2019 5:41 pm  #12

Right TC...I dropped ten years. It's actually 21 years.

Chris

8/05/2019 6:30 pm  #13

Just for the record, BM has it right above, herve is/was not Herve, he’s herve.

Board footera