GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/01/2023 9:31 am  #1

Meet the Revolutionaries

The George Washington University Revolutionaries debut this weekend (women´s football/soccer plays an exhibition at Richmond). It is a "new exciting era" (or so the marketers will tell us) The first home game for the Revolutionaries is the Aug 10 women´s football/soccer exhibition. The first regular season appearance for the Revolutionaries is Aug 17 (women´s football/soccer vs Deleware). The Revolutionaries first home game at the Smith Center comes Sept 8 with volleyball matches against Northern Alabama and Old Dominion (with those ninnies from That School  Down the Street in town the next day).
Will there be new livery at home venues? Or any external signs that there is a new nickname? When on the road, will the other schools´ production teams be wise to the new nomenclature or will it still be the "GW Colonels"? Will "Revolutionaries" even fit in a readable font on the front of jerseys? 2023-24 is upon us.

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (8/01/2023 10:07 am)

8/01/2023 1:07 pm  #2

Re: Meet the Revolutionaries

Does anyone plan to refer to GW as the Revolutionaries either orally or in writing?  A 6 syllable nickname; am not sure another one exists in college athletics (certainly not in one word).

The old nickname is not coming back. Let's just embrace The Revs and be done with it.

8/01/2023 2:11 pm  #3

GO REVS!!!

8/01/2023 3:04 pm  #4

When proven to be a well-oiled winning machine, we can call them "The Revs". (see what I did there?) Until then, I am yet to see anything from the Unversity that any abbreviation of "Revolutionaries" is acceptable.
It has been a long time since I studied Shakespaere, but is "The George Washington University Revolutionaries" iambic pentameter?

8/01/2023 3:41 pm  #5

Plenty of Revs content here, including #PROREVS and #DIAMONDREVS hashtags

https://twitter.com/GWBaseRECRUIT

8/01/2023 3:43 pm  #6

“The Revolution” would have been so much better,at least for me,but alas it was not meant to be.

8/01/2023 6:41 pm  #7

GW69 wrote:

“The Revolution” would have been so much better,at least for me,but alas it was not meant to be.

Better this happen to the people who beat GW to that brand than us...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/66377906

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (8/02/2023 9:13 am)

8/01/2023 8:55 pm  #8

just revolting

8/17/2023 9:52 am  #9

The official start of The George Washington University Revolutionaries era is today with women´s football/soccer season opener at home vs Delaware State at 3pm Eastern. (and is it just me, or is school starting waaaaay too early nowadays? What happend to "summer vacation" in the, you know, summer?)
https://gwsports.com/news/2023/8/15/womens-soccer-womens-soccer-kicks-off-2023-season-with-delaware-state-bucknell

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (8/17/2023 3:42 pm)

8/17/2023 10:53 am  #10

Classes are starting a week from today to allow students to have the full week of Thanksgiving off. Plenty of newcomers on both the men's and women's soccer teams but hopefully the women can take advantage of a cupcake game to start before they travel to play a Bucknell team coming off back to back Patriot League championships and picked first in the Patriot League again this year

8/17/2023 11:18 am  #11

1) That's odd that school starts so early. 
So much for that last minute recruit (which prob wasn't going to happen early)
2) Noting the title on this post. Actually GW Colons would have been a good choice. Offends no one, seemingly.
And the school has basically had its head up there for years.

8/17/2023 11:26 am  #12

jf wrote:

1) That's odd that school starts so early. 
So much for that last minute recruit (which prob wasn't going to happen early)
2) Noting the title on this post. Actually GW Colons would have been a good choice. Offends no one, seemingly.
And the school has basically had its head up there for years.

And the intramural programs could be called the Semicolons.

8/17/2023 11:34 am  #13

Not sure if everyone saw but the band re-branded as the Foghorns 

https://twitter.com/gwuband/status/1691898905733013758

8/17/2023 1:11 pm  #14

8/17/2023 4:21 pm  #15

GW wins 7-0. That means throughout the course of human history, The Revolutionaries are all-time undefeated having never even been scored on! (I wonder what the Hegelian dialectic says about that-- low hanging fruit Marxian joke, you all have my appologies)

8/18/2023 8:38 am  #16

GW0509 wrote:

How many knew they were formerly the C-Brass?  I didn't.

8/18/2023 9:02 am  #17

keithgreene wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

How many knew they were formerly the C-Brass?  I didn't.

The band was Colonial Brass up until a few years ago when the campaign to remove Colonial began. They voted then to just be C-Brass until a decision was made on a new school moniker.

8/18/2023 10:57 am  #18

Fog Horns are a good name.     I must say that listening to the video of the band playing the fight song has increased my anxiety for the start of the season.   I am such the sucker for preseason hype to the extent that I almost always leave my schedule opened during that second week in March in anticipation of my traveling to see the team in the first round of the dance...at least  until our first loss to a school like "American" .

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (8/18/2023 10:59 am)

8/18/2023 7:01 pm  #19

Maybe the pep band can get the old Looney Tunes character Foghorn Leghorn to be their unofficial mascot.

Board footera