GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/21/2023 8:55 am  #1

St. Joe's Hawk Mascot Update

8/21/2023 10:52 am  #2

Re: St. Joe's Hawk Mascot Update

MG14 wrote:

Keep an eye on St. Joe's social media accounts on August 25.

https://www.sju.edu/news/college-athletics-hardest-working-mascot-saint-josephs-hawk-getting-new-look

I don’t hate much in this world, but I have nothing but animosity toward that damned hawk. 

In my long-time-ago previous role running events at the Charles E., the hawk invariable would end up blocking me, hitting me, or even knocking my radio to the ground.  It would stand in aisles at just the perfectly wrong time, and because of its lack of peripheral vision would generally create problems. 

Long live the hawk?   I don’t think so.

8/21/2023 11:03 am  #3

As much as I loathe that stupid bird suit, I have to say I am perplexed that it goes to north Philly for those Temple games and makes it out without getting the lead pipe treatment it deserves. Mad respect for the schmuck who agrees to wear that thing in north Philly, obviously a person with more courage than I.

8/21/2023 11:08 am  #4

As best I can tell, the Hawk is the only mascot in our conference who travels to road games (excluding the conference tournament).  Does anyone know why the Hawk gets to do this but presumably nobody else does?  I don't even think that Washington travels to Mason or Mason visits GW.

8/21/2023 11:55 am  #5

I can't find a more recent document, but it looks like in 2018 that all mascots were permitted to travel within the A10 

"2.4 Mascots are permitted to travel to regular season Conference away games. For mascots traveling to away regular season Conference games, the visiting mascot must adhere to the guidelines utilized by the host institution.
2.5 Mascots are prohibited from interacting with each other, with student-athletes from opposing teams, or with game officials."

Last edited by creeksandzeeks (8/21/2023 11:55 am)

8/21/2023 12:28 pm  #6

8/21/2023 2:44 pm  #7

BGF wrote:

MG14 wrote:

Keep an eye on St. Joe's social media accounts on August 25.

https://www.sju.edu/news/college-athletics-hardest-working-mascot-saint-josephs-hawk-getting-new-look

I don’t hate much in this world, but I have nothing but animosity toward that damned hawk.

In my long-time-ago previous role running events at the Charles E., the hawk invariable would end up blocking me, hitting me, or even knocking my radio to the ground. It would stand in aisles at just the perfectly wrong time, and because of its lack of peripheral vision would generally create problems.

Long live the hawk? I don’t think so.

This is a great post by BGF on that stupid, flapping Hawk.
   If that mascot refresh happened to us, we would transform it into a capon and probably just call it a 
bird, in case capon sounds like something offensive to a small minority of students.

8/22/2023 7:31 am  #8

I have non-rational hate for the hawk as well.  Even told my kids as they applied to college- anywhere except St Joes because of that stupid bird

8/22/2023 8:46 am  #9

I have not one but two friends who I've taken to games against St. Joe's who are oddly fixated on that stupid hawk.  These are bright guys, each is an attorney.  When I ask why the fascination, it's an unanswerable question.  The constant flapping has to have something to do with this.  The Hawk will never die might have something to do with this.  The fact that the Hawk knows he can behave as obnoxiously as he would like without any ramifications may certainly have something to do with this.  For whatever the reason, nobody outside of Hawk Hill seems to like this mascot in the slightest.

8/22/2023 6:13 pm  #10

It was always the Chickenhawk to me, lol.

8/22/2023 6:26 pm  #11

I'll be honest.   I kinda like the Hawk who I believe is the only mascot that is allowed to appear at road arenas.  Gives the conference a little recognition.  (The things we talk about nearly 6 months into the off season).

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (8/22/2023 6:27 pm)

8/23/2023 3:29 pm  #12

Growing up in the Philly area I was a fan of the Big Five.During my teenage years Jack Ramsey was the coach at St. Joes.He had some great teams.I really loved the Hawk!My favorite matchup was Temple -St 
Joes.The Owl and the Hawk -what more could an adolescent want?

8/25/2023 7:31 pm  #13

8/25/2023 8:15 pm  #14

So now the stupid bird suit is made from leftover scraps of velour and has had a facelift that makes it look like it went to Mexico for some back alley botox? They should have just gone with an inflatable hippo.

Board footera