GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/27/2023 1:35 pm  #1

Big money leagues destroying the NIT

For those who have feared the big money leagues just eventually squeezing out the A10s of the world and the mid-majors, take a look at how they just announced the NIT is changing.

Highlights:

1) no more auto bids to conference winners who lose in their conf tourneys. Too bad, the auto bids have helped revive the NIT into a fun tourney.

2) instead, auto bids will go to 2 teams each from the ACC, BE, B10, B12, PAC12, and SEC.

3) To make it worse, all 12 of those big money league teams will be guaranteed home games. No more semi-meritocracy where the top 4 seeds get home games and perhaps an opportunity to host a big money team that would never visit your gym during the season.

4) With 12 of the 16 home games going to big money teams, that leaves only 4 home games for everyone else (so any non-auto qualifiers in first four out would get a hime game, but let’s say GW ends up in the next 4 our - so like 6 spots from making the tourney, under the old rules, we’d have been a 2 seed with a home game, but under the new rules we’d potentially be busted down to a 5 seed and have to go to a mediocre BCS team on the road). 

5) You no longer need a winning record to make the NIT, but of course this will only matter for the BCS teams.

It’s really a shame. The NIT used to be like this and it became bad. Then when they changed it to more of a meritocracy, it got decent again, but now they’ve decided a meritocracy doesn’t suit the BCS leagues. 

https://x.com/goodmanhoops/status/1717965695961477495?s=46&t=m2xsjs4EY33TDlbMVwhKzQ

Last edited by Free Quebec (10/27/2023 1:53 pm)

10/27/2023 1:48 pm  #2

Re: Big money leagues destroying the NIT

This is (to use a scientific term) bullcrap. Actually, it is utter bullcrap but why complicate matters?
So much for meritocracy, or even a level playing field. The NCAA seems hell-bent on killing the goose that lays the golden egg just so it can get more and more of that consolidated ching-ching.

10/27/2023 2:05 pm  #3

"The answer to all your questions is money.” - Don Ohlmeyer

10/27/2023 2:10 pm  #4

UNC and Michigan turned down the NIT last season.  Duke, Xavier, St. John's, Louisville, and Seton Hall have all recently turned down invitations.  So have Oklahoma State, Georgetown, Georgia Tech and LSU.  Maryland turned it down in 1974 when they had arguably the second best team in the country (only 1 school per conference made the NCAA's and NC State knocked off the Terps in the ACC title game), then tried to again under Gary Williams but were told they couldn't because their arena was being used.  So they promptly lost in the first round.

This move illustrates how humiliated the NCAA must be in having so many P5 schools turn down the NIT.  So they think this will be far less of a problem if you guarantee that more P5 schools get in.

It won't work.  The NIT will still be regarded as a consolation tournament and rather than admit quality mid-majors who would be excited about playing, they will settle on more 9th place P5 schools who won't give a crap about it.  The only thing I like about this move is that the NCAA will ultimately get what it deserves.

10/28/2023 1:37 pm  #5

While I agree this is horrible for non-Power conferences, this does feel like a trial balloon for expanding the current NCAA field.  I expect that the power conference teams that are placed in the new  NIT are not going to be satisfied.

I previously posted a model that I thought would make sense for both power conferences and mid majors While I am confident the NCAA would never adopt anything that makes sense, I’ll re-state it here.

In a nutshell, the NCAA field should be expanded to 80 teams. The top 16 teams will then be top four seeds, and given a double bye into the third round.

The bottom 64 teams would be seeded as 5 through 20 in each region.

This model would ensure that the top teams don’t get upset early in the tournament, which I imagine is very important from a dollars and cents perspective for those schools and the leagues they represent.

It would also expand the field, making it more likely that the top mid majors and other non-power conference teams have a better shot at making the tournament. 

At the same time, it doesn’t expand the tournament beyond the seven rounds that are currently played. Obviously, instead of four games currently on the First Four part  of the NCAA tourney schedule, now there would be a full slate of 32 games.  This has a positive effect that the first set of games won’t feel like play-in  games as they currently do.  Along with the additional television revenue from advertising, it would put a whole lot more eyes on the first two days of the tournament.

In this model, the NIT can return to what it has been for the past several years. It would be a place for regular season winners who didn’t make the main NCAA tournament field, plus schools that really want to be there. It could even become a meaningful small school/mid major championship of sorts.

I know that this is just a pie in the sky type of proposal, but ultimately what is needed is a model that gets more schools the opportunity to say they had a successful season for their donors and fans, greater television ratings and revenue that goes back to the power conferences, a chance for mid majors who can’t get their NET rating high enough due to Power schools not giving them scheduling opportunities to make the NCAA field, and a way that allows smaller schools who don’t have access to the same kind of revenue as the power conference to be able to have a meaningful post regular season opportunity.   

My two cents have now been submitted.

10/29/2023 7:31 am  #6

Amy expansion that makes it harder or near impossible to fill out brackets will destroy the tourney. People following their brackets is a huge part of why it’s become so successful.

10/29/2023 9:02 pm  #7

My preferred solution would be to divide Division I in two. The top 12 conferences would be DIa and the rest would be DIb. Each would have a 64 team tourney, and the NIT would be discontinued. The teams from the lower conferences have no shot at winning the tourney as it is today anyway, so what’s the point in including them? This would also be good for GW, as the A10 is a top 12 conference. And there would still be plenty of “cinderella” upsets.

10/29/2023 9:44 pm  #8

DC Native wrote:

My preferred solution would be to divide Division I in two. The top 12 conferences would be DIa and the rest would be DIb. Each would have a 64 team tourney, and the NIT would be discontinued. The teams from the lower conferences have no shot at winning the tourney as it is today anyway, so what’s the point in including them? This would also be good for GW, as the A10 is a top 12 conference. And there would still be plenty of “cinderella” upsets.

Boooooooooooo! 

The lower conferences getting their shot to win a game or two, and often pulling it off, is what makes the NCAA tourney the best sporting even in America.

Destroying it in a money grab is as wrong as when the top soccer teams in Europe tried to break away from Champion’s league to guarantee themselves yearly entry  (which was stopped by popular uprising and the threat of British parliament getting involved).

10/30/2023 6:57 am  #9

DC Native wrote:

My preferred solution would be to divide Division I in two. The top 12 conferences would be DIa and the rest would be DIb.  This would also be good for GW, as the A10 is a top 12 conference.

Ummm, if they decided to make the split after last season, the A10 would be in D1b.

10/30/2023 9:26 am  #10

Sagarin has the A10 ranked 11th:

https://sagarin.usatoday.com/2023-2/college-basketball-conference-ratings-2022-23/

The A10 has been ranked as high as 7th in the recent past. I don't remember the A10 ever ranking below 12th, but I could be wrong. In any case, you would want the 12 best conferences over the recent past, not just one year. The top 12 conferences in the Sagarin rankings look right to me. Perhaps you could stretch it to 14, but all the conference below that are firmly of the low majors variety, with no shot of ever winning an NCAA tourney. And in my view, every team should at least theoretically be able to win a championship.

FQ, I fully understand that tiny school upsets of major power in the early rounds of the NCAA appeals to some, but the tourney would still have plenty of upsets, and no one really believed that UMBC was gonna win it all... Also a little strange that you chose European soccer to bolster your point, since European soccer teams are actually relegated to a lower league after one bad year!

In the end, it's all just mental gymnastics of what we each think would be good. The NCAA has absolutely no creativity, and in the end their only consideration of changes is what will make them more money. That means the only changes that will ever be made are expansion, expansion, and more expansion.

10/30/2023 11:15 am  #11

Gotcha, yeah KenPom had the A10 as the 13th best conference last year. Sitting behind the powerhouses of CUSA, WAC, and the Ivy League.

The only split that needs to take place is removing high level D1 football from conference affiliation.  That is where the difference is so great that it is absurd how many schools field teams.  Even amongst the big conferences, schools like Purdue/Vanderbilt/Boston College are lighting cash on fire trying to compete in BCS football.

10/30/2023 11:38 am  #12

DC Native wrote:

Sagarin has the A10 ranked 11th:

https://sagarin.usatoday.com/2023-2/college-basketball-conference-ratings-2022-23/

The A10 has been ranked as high as 7th in the recent past. I don't remember the A10 ever ranking below 12th, but I could be wrong. In any case, you would want the 12 best conferences over the recent past, not just one year. The top 12 conferences in the Sagarin rankings look right to me. Perhaps you could stretch it to 14, but all the conference below that are firmly of the low majors variety, with no shot of ever winning an NCAA tourney. And in my view, every team should at least theoretically be able to win a championship.

FQ, I fully understand that tiny school upsets of major power in the early rounds of the NCAA appeals to some, but the tourney would still have plenty of upsets, and no one really believed that UMBC was gonna win it all... Also a little strange that you chose European soccer to bolster your point, since European soccer teams are actually relegated to a lower league after one bad year!

In the end, it's all just mental gymnastics of what we each think would be good. The NCAA has absolutely no creativity, and in the end their only consideration of changes is what will make them more money. That means the only changes that will ever be made are expansion, expansion, and more expansion.

1).No one would care about the 10th place ACC team upsetting a 2 seed.

2) I would be 100% in favor of a pro/tel system for college hoops.

3) what you are describing is a closed system, even more closed than what we have today. European soccer thrives in large part because it’s an open system. Just ask any fan of Luton Town.

10/30/2023 12:08 pm  #13

If you are of the mindset that the teams who play in the NCAA tournament ought to have a  realistic or even semi-realistic chance of winning the championship, then you're probably good with any move that further divides the P6 schools from the rest.  Like some others here, a big part of the appeal of the tournament, to me, has always been the David over Goliath type upsets.  When those 14 and 15 seeds, and even UMBC and FDU as 16 seeds, pulled off their upsets, I don't believe anyone thought for a moment that these teams could win it all.  Nevertheless, this did not diminish the enjoyment of witnessing these upsets in any way.  This is one of the rare things that makes the sport as exciting as it is.

10/30/2023 12:55 pm  #14

Gwmayhem wrote:

If you are of the mindset that the teams who play in the NCAA tournament ought to have a  realistic or even semi-realistic chance of winning the championship, then you're probably good with any move that further divides the P6 schools from the rest.  Like some others here, a big part of the appeal of the tournament, to me, has always been the David over Goliath type upsets.  When those 14 and 15 seeds, and even UMBC and FDU as 16 seeds, pulled off their upsets, I don't believe anyone thought for a moment that these teams could win it all.  Nevertheless, this did not diminish the enjoyment of witnessing these upsets in any way.  This is one of the rare things that makes the sport as exciting as it is.

It also gets into what the championship is supposed to represent. If you want to find out who the best team in the country is, then there's no point in having a tournament to begin with.  Just do a BCS-style system and have the top 2 teams play a best of 7 series.  Or do the College World Series model and make it double elimination.

There's been a debate in MLB about whether the expanded playoffs diminish the World Series since there's more randomness involved.  Teams like the Dodgers and Braves are getting bounced by the Dbacks and Phillies. 

Limiting the NCAA tournament to the KenPom Top 32 teams with no auto-bids would probably result in the better overall team winning more often, but as GWmayhem says, the chaos of the first four days is what makes the NCAA tournament the best college championship. 

Does Loyola Chicago get to the Final Four if Virginia or Cincinatti get two byes and don't get upset by UMBC or Nevada?

Last edited by GW0509 (10/30/2023 12:55 pm)

10/30/2023 8:34 pm  #15

The thing that bothers me about college sports playoffs is the subjectivity. The great thing about professional sports playoffs is that there is no subjectivity. There are established rules and tie breakers, so it is all decided on the field/court. The NCAA football championship would be better to me if the conference championships were part off the playoffs. Then every team would know that to get in the playoffs, they need to get to their conference championship game, and to advance they need to win it. But the sports media love the subjectivity because it gives them something to endlessly debate, so they just expand the number of subjective playoff berths.

The NCAA basketball at large bids irritate me because they are subjective, and lets face it, the selection committee uses whatever metric justifies who they want to get the bids. What I love about the NCAA Tourney, though, is that almost every team in the country has a theoretical chance at a national title in March. They just have to win their conference tourney to get an auto bid. The only exceptions are the few teams not good enough to get in their conference tourney, independents, and the one conference that gives its auto bid to the regular season champ. I am always in favor of less subjectivity, so if D1 is not divided in two, I would love to see regular season conference champs get auto bids too. But this would significantly reduce the number of subjective at large bids going to blue bloods and other big state schools with lots of fans, so there is no way in hell it ever happens.

Now I’ve given my full two cents…

10/31/2023 11:39 am  #16

Free Quebec wrote:

For those who have feared the big money leagues just eventually squeezing out the A10s of the world and the mid-majors, take a look at how they just announced the NIT is changing.

Highlights:

1) no more auto bids to conference winners who lose in their conf tourneys. Too bad, the auto bids have helped revive the NIT into a fun tourney.

2) instead, auto bids will go to 2 teams each from the ACC, BE, B10, B12, PAC12, and SEC.

3) To make it worse, all 12 of those big money league teams will be guaranteed home games. No more semi-meritocracy where the top 4 seeds get home games and perhaps an opportunity to host a big money team that would never visit your gym during the season.

4) With 12 of the 16 home games going to big money teams, that leaves only 4 home games for everyone else (so any non-auto qualifiers in first four out would get a hime game, but let’s say GW ends up in the next 4 our - so like 6 spots from making the tourney, under the old rules, we’d have been a 2 seed with a home game, but under the new rules we’d potentially be busted down to a 5 seed and have to go to a mediocre BCS team on the road).

5) You no longer need a winning record to make the NIT, but of course this will only matter for the BCS teams.

It’s really a shame. The NIT used to be like this and it became bad. Then when they changed it to more of a meritocracy, it got decent again, but now they’ve decided a meritocracy doesn’t suit the BCS leagues.

https://x.com/goodmanhoops/status/1717965695961477495?s=46&t=m2xsjs4EY33TDlbMVwhKzQ

When  you look at this list,  you could argue that #1 (no auto bid to conference winners) and #5 (no longer need a winning record) are done to improve the quality of the product. On the other hand, 2-4 can exist for no other reason than financial, and that very well may weaken the product.   Should the NCAA tournament continue to expand (as there always to be rumors), the NIT will become less and less relevant than it is even now.  

10/31/2023 5:05 pm  #17

Board footera