GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/14/2023 9:01 pm  #41

Re: GW Beats Hofstra Game

Its early in the season, but this doesn't look like 3 guys and no depth, it looks like we may have a competitive team.  This year has some promise, but its again its early.

11/14/2023 9:12 pm  #42

College hoops is much more fun when we are winning!

11/14/2023 9:14 pm  #43

38 minutes for Bishop.

11/14/2023 9:17 pm  #44

Great win. Felt like they just pulled ahead comfortably at the drop of a hat. So refreshing to have depth but Bishop showed up right when we needed him to. Also Johnson can seriously play. Really fun to watch

11/14/2023 9:50 pm  #45

Nice W!  Loved the contagious energy…yeah Stretch, Trey and Co.
Some ugly minutes but CC and Co. adjusted.
Audio…sucked (turned it off 2 games in a row)
Officiating are you kidding???? Not that I mind letting em play, but holy crap…whistle swallowed for 5 minutes at a time!!
Happy for the squad and CC said we’ve only just begun.
Gotta luv it!

11/14/2023 10:08 pm  #46

jersey guy wrote:

Its early in the season, but this doesn't look like 3 guys and no depth, it looks like we may have a competitive team.  This year has some promise, but its again its early.

Five guys scored in double figures, plus Stretch with 3 big blocks and 2 steals! Schroder had an off night, but he’s already shown he can score. Good minutes from Jacoi as well.
Gotta take care of business on Saturday before a next level up opponent in Ohio.

Last edited by DC Native (11/14/2023 10:10 pm)

11/14/2023 10:41 pm  #47

Sound on the Blue Seats side is not operational. Amps are blown, speakers silent.

11/14/2023 10:55 pm  #48

Couldn't help but notice we went up 21 spots on Kenpom to 172 tonight, right below Rhode Island. That means we are higher then that Big East school based in D.C..

11/14/2023 11:44 pm  #49

Can't say enough about tonight's game.  It was a solid win against a higher ranked opponant, but we didn't just win the game, we controlled it for probably 30 of the 40  minutes.  We were clearly the better team on the court.   Unfortunately we could not put Hofstra away until the final 8 minutes or so (that will come with age), and I was admittedly concerned how the team would resopnd when we went down 3 or 4 points several minutes into the second half but we pulled ourselves off of the mat and won rather convincingly.    Another solid coaching performance, as Caputo seemed to find the right combinations on both sides of the ball,, especially when it counted.  On offense, 2 plays stood out for me, both coming out of a timeout.  Late in the first half, we had the ball with 3 seconds left on the shot clock and called a play that let Trey hit a wide opened 3.  Then in the second half, I don't remember the circumstances other than I believe we had just retaken the lead but the game was still close.  Coming out of the timeout, we called a play that left Johnson wide opened for a 3.   On defense, just like Stretch was pulled vs. William and Mary for poor defense,  tonight, it was Schroeder who was pulled and saw limited minutes because of his defense.   Maybe someone who watched the broadcast could help me with this, but in the second half we were down a bit and for the first time that I cold recall, I saw Caputo going ballistic.   He was yelling at the refs and his players alike.. Took him several minutes before he calmed down.  Anyone know what was up with that?     Edwards is just a ferocious rebounder...probably will lead the team and rank fairly high in the conference.   Has more confidence in his 3 point shot.     Johnson composes himself like he has been playing college basketball for years, not just 3 games.     Like Max, a very strong rebounder.   Buchanan also impressive once again..   It looks like an a 8 man rotation it is...at lesat for now    I have heard elsewhere that Jones may redshirt.    Smith is medically able to play but got a DNP coaches decision tonight, along with Welchue-Ume and Harvey.   As previously mentioned, Bishop again had 38 minutes and although he shot the ball poorly and had 6 turnovers, there really is no substitute for his veteran presence on the court.  Would still like to see that shaved down a few minutes so he is more rested down the stretch.   Hey...we are 3-0.   Life is good.

11/15/2023 5:56 am  #50

Caputo went ballistic after the refs called a foul on a Max tip in (seemed like a bad call to me too). He pushed a couple assistant coaches trying to keep him away from the ref, but when he got to the ref he seemed to just do some normal arguing. I didn’t see him yell at any players. He did talk to Max, but it seemed to me (I was too far away to hear) that he told him to not get down on himself because it was a good play.

11/15/2023 6:33 am  #51

11/15/2023 8:22 am  #52

Had to miss this game, though appreciate the reports.  Anyone know where a replay is available?

11/15/2023 8:33 am  #53

The depth, effort, and intensity are terrific to watch.  This was a tightly contested game for 30+ minutes where we got off to a small early lead and both teams traded numerous mini-runs until the nine-minute mark in H2.  We then go on a 20-2 run for seven minutes with Max on the court for only the first minutes and two points after picking up his fourth foul.  Who saw that coming?! 

JB also highlighted our depth postgame talking about how Hofstra had to focus on other players, giving him room to drive and get to the basket.  And we've got so many guys who can take it to the basket and get quality chances compared to having maybe just one person who could do that in the past.  

Having attended the first three games, regardless of the opponent, there is a such a higher level in the quality of our play that is refreshing to watch again.  How many terrible ganes have we watched OOC for several years where we played down to the level of weaker opponents and were just out-and-out sloppy, or even worse, indifferent.

Kudos to Coach Caputo and his staff for bringing a measure of respectability back to the court.  I'm sure we've got a way to go, but it's hard seeing anyone else coming here and giving us as much hope and decent basketball as we've seen in Coach's tenure.     

Last edited by Merrick (11/15/2023 8:44 am)

11/15/2023 8:34 am  #54

What we seem to watching a coach and staff with a very good sense of "gamescape" a data/stochastic reactions to moves by the opponent's players and coaches and how the GW players are doing. That was clear to us how we performed right after Max was subbed (as pointed above). CC uses a first half lead to give his bench time on the floor. This may seem to result in a swing in the game flow, but pays dividends by game end.
Gamescape also is appearing as CC switches to the big lineup to the small. He catches the other coach sleeping at the switch, so to say. He does this at times throughout the game to pressure the ball, or switching into a zone. They the GW staff clearly watched the Princeton game and stole some defensive ideas to use against Hofstra.

Also about the rotation mentions, I feel this team is loaded with potential and DNPs or bad defense passages should not be true measure of what we have on the bench this year. Keep this in mind in the next couple of games.

Last edited by russianthistle (11/15/2023 8:38 am)

11/15/2023 9:27 am  #55

Free Quebec wrote:

Had to miss this game, though appreciate the reports.  Anyone know where a replay is available?

Assume you have ESPN+?

If so, the replay is here: http://www.espn.com/watch?id=4b6038af-5a42-406c-9682-36977ef552fc

11/15/2023 10:03 am  #56

One huge change with CC compared to previous 2 coaching staffs. In the past we would see other teams go on runs and I for one would be waiting for a time out to stop the flow.  Did not see to happen. 
Don’t know if anyone noticed.  We came out of a scheduled Time Out, ran a poor offensive set, resulting in a rushed 3 with a long rebound which led to a Hofstra fast break-  believe it put Hofstra up by 3 or 4.
Coach Caputo immediately called time out to get it corrected before the momentum swung too far.  Great situational awareness by an experienced Staff.

11/15/2023 10:19 am  #57

GW0509 wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

Assume you have ESPN+?

If so, the replay is here: http://www.espn.com/watch?id=4b6038af-5a42-406c-9682-36977ef552fc

Thanks.  When I looked this morning on ESPN+ it wasn’t there.

11/15/2023 11:48 am  #58

Anyone notice the play CC called a few times in the 2nd half (signal seemed to be CC horizontally pulling his hands apart)?  It was basically a spread where Buchanan brought the ball up the floor and we had four other shooters on the floor.  I had not seen that prior. Buchanan would beat his man off the dribble or drive and kick to a shooter.  Worked well, and demonstrated the versatility we can have with a player like him and many more shooters on the floor.  Buchanan was a beast last night.     

11/15/2023 12:34 pm  #59

DC Native wrote:

Caputo went ballistic after the refs called a foul on a Max tip in (seemed like a bad call to me too). He pushed a couple assistant coaches trying to keep him away from the ref, but when he got to the ref he seemed to just do some normal arguing. I didn’t see him yell at any players. He did talk to Max, but it seemed to me (I was too far away to hear) that he told him to not get down on himself because it was a good play.

Not exactly what happened. What happened was one of the assistants (I won't name him) got into it with the ref about the call and CC smartly jumped in and said talk to me I'm the head coach. This was tremendously quick and a savy coaching move because I believe the ref was looking for an excuse to whistle a T on the GW bench and CC quickly diffused the whole thing. 

Last edited by GWRising (11/15/2023 12:35 pm)

11/15/2023 1:13 pm  #60

Coming in hot with the highlights from last night's win if you don't have 2 hours to spend watching the replay 

https://x.com/GWFinalFour/status/1724852833923604505?s=20

Board footera