GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/24/2023 9:49 pm  #121

Re: GW Beats Ohio Game

Hell yeah!    Very good win. 

We didn’t have our A game for the second half or first OT, but competed really hard.

What a player Buchanan is already.  Max super clutch.  Garrett two clutch plays (when he gets stronger and can finish inside, he’ll be unstoppable).   Bishop was bishop.  Jacoi played great D.   Trey had a couple big plays. 

All in all, we should be happy. 5-0 and onto the winner’s bracket. Hopefully we have enough legs after the long game.

11/24/2023 9:53 pm  #122

Man, they made that hard, but good win. Nice to see how all of a sudden in the first OT they seemed to start playing within themselves and every trip down the court wasn’t an out of control one on one drive or a a crazy trey. Bishop is too experienced for some of his play tonight. Looked like Caputo recognized that and had Max take the reins.

Especially happy that I had enough faith in these guys to lay $400 on the money line which was +170 just before the game. Returned a nice $1080. Never doubt my faith in the team. 😂😂

11/24/2023 9:55 pm  #123

two things....first, someone need to tell that idiot of an announcer that it is Ca-Pu-to.....not Ca-PEW-To...

Second, does anyone know what time we play tomorrow?

11/24/2023 9:57 pm  #124

Class 'o 70 wrote:

two things....first, someone need to tell that idiot of an announcer that it is Ca-Pu-to.....not Ca-PEW-To...

Second, does anyone know what time we play tomorrow?

Sorry, but you are wrong. It actually is ca-PEW-toe.  Most people say it wrong.

11/24/2023 9:59 pm  #125

This game was the Last leg of a parlay for me, it took years off of my life.

Alum1 wrote:

Man, they made that hard, but good win. Nice to see how all of a sudden in the first OT they seemed to start playing within themselves and every trip down the court wasn’t an out of control one on one drive or a a crazy trey. Bishop is too experienced for some of his play tonight. Looked like Caputo recognized that and had Max take the reins.

Especially happy that I had enough faith in these guys to lay $400 on the money line which was +170 just before the game. Returned a nice $1080. Never doubt my faith in the team. 😂😂

11/24/2023 10:00 pm  #126

ESPN shows game time 7 EST

11/24/2023 10:05 pm  #127

Really good win,fun game

5 for 5.   How bout that!

28 and 5 for JBIV

25 for Buchanan, impressive stuff

11/24/2023 10:35 pm  #128

KenPom up to 141. 8 in the nation in tempo.

11/24/2023 10:43 pm  #129

What an incredible win even if they dragged it out and stressed us out at times. It's really fun when GW men's basketball wins important games! Who would have known?

11/24/2023 10:52 pm  #130

Hoopsfan23 wrote:

This game was the Last leg of a parlay for me, it took years off of my life.

Alum1 wrote:

LOl. Too true!

11/25/2023 7:43 am  #131

Some praise of our guys from the Ohio Bobcats message board:

"Edwards, for GW is the real deal. Not just the late in the shot clock 3…but he made 2 steals under the basket, after it looked like Ohio had secured the rebound that were game-winning plays. Impressive player. "

"GW has some great freshman. Wish we had them."

"
Until I saw the box score, I didn’t realize Bishop had 28 points. For sure thought Buchanan did. Really impressed by GW’s two freshman."

11/25/2023 8:34 am  #132

Way to go Alum1 and Hoopsfan23.  Since my moneyline was only +160, I am a bit jealous.  But still, OK.
Have been saying this since before the season started but if you like to wager, the time to make money with this team is now, while these computer rankings are unable to rapidly adjust from their underrated pre-season rankings that were based largely on so many inexperienced players joining the team. Is it still  a problem that DBJ hadn't played college ball prior to the start of the season?  Should we still be assuming that Stretch won't possibly be a factor because he played so little at Auburn? Are freshmen Trey and Jacoi just here to learn this season without really contributing?

Now to be fair, GW was at its most infuriating as well against a well coached Ohio team.  Way too many turnovers, often of the unforced variety.  Not closing nearly fast enough against open three point shooters.  Maybe playing a longer bench helps to reduce these issues, but it does seem apparent that CC is not at all inclined to go beyond 8 unless the game has all but been decided.  How else might you explain playing five players at least 34 minutes, two more 19 apiece, and Benny for 7, for the first game of three in three nights?  We've been told that James and Max are in the best condition of their careers and it showed.

What a game for Max in particular.  Early on, lackadaisical would best describe his performance.  Max fell for that play where the defender looks away from the play while running up court, only to quickly turn around and make a steal or intercept a pass in the backcourt.  Other than his consistent rebounding, Max was not giving the team much of anything.   And then down the stretch, he came up with 2 amazing steals including one where he pulled that same trick that had been pulled on him earlier.  And the 3 3's in the second OT all but won the game for GW, including the final one which he somehow managed to catch a cross court pass and shoot with under 2 seconds on the shot clock.  Not only was that the dagger but it may end up also being the most remarkable play we see all season.

Other quick notes:

It's nothing short of genius to watch DBJ take a slower defender off the dribble, from the top of the key, with both JB and Jacoi (two very capable point guards) on the court with him.  This guy, plain and simple, is a matchup nightmare for opponents.  So much quicker than most guys his size, and can steamroll over smaller defenders as well.

I think I've seen more smiles out of JB through 5 games than in any of his other full seasons at GW.  So this is what it's like to lead a team with this much talent.

Not one of Jacoi's most memorable games, but his perfect pass to Garrett for a wide open three was an absolute thing of beauty.

Speaking of Garrett, really nice to see him play 40 minutes.

Some atrocious calls which FQ did a nice job at chronicling in real time.  It certainly did seem as if they were making every effort to keep Ohio in the game.  A few of the calls against Stretch were just awful.

I looked up the bio of the color commentator and among his professional accomplishments includes having served as Athletic Director at Beverly Hills High.  I cut him some slack after that as I'd imagine it's difficult to go from calling games with Brandon Walsh, Steve Sanders and Dylan McKay to calling Division 1 college basketball.

11/25/2023 8:40 am  #133

Edwards seemed to be pressing on offense early on, but as usual his efforts on the boards impacted the game while his shots weren't falling. In the 2nd half he made several winning plays, including diving for a loose ball on the defensive end and getting a time out called before Ohio was able to tie him up, intercepting one or two passes after Ohio had inbounded the ball, and a pair of steals on what appeared to be sure rebounds for Ohio. Plus those tough 3-pointers in the 2nd half and OT. It's been very impressive that he's shot 50% from deep this year considering the level of difficulty of his 3-point attempts thus far.  Buchanan was also really impressive again getting buckets whenever the Revs needed one. He's been able to consistently get to the basket and draw fouls this year, and is shooting 65% on his 2-point attempts for the season. It seems like he could be drawing a foul every time he drives to the basket. It's very impressive that as a first year player with his style of play, that he's able to play under control without drawing charges. His footwork, balance, and touch have stood out. I could see him becoming the primary focus of our opponents scouting reports in the not to distant future as he'll present match up problems for many teams we'll face.

11/25/2023 9:08 am  #134

Having stretch foul out may be a blessing for our game today as he will be fresher than most of our others.

Expect to see Benny more today but I think his playing time is dependent on playing better on the defensive end.  Seems to be beaten a lot and not in the right positional defense mose.  Also does not seem to be as willing to mix it up and rebound underneath.  Until we see those attributes more often think he will be low on the rotation.

Where is our grad stud A Smith?  Know he had early injury but yesterday would have been a nice time to get him 5-10 min in 1st half to get acclimated?  Worried the injury was reaggravated or maybe his play not up to our current standards

11/25/2023 9:20 am  #135

Gutsy win.

BTW, never thought I'd pine for Patsos, but the color guy was so bad last night. Hope for another "packed house" and "NCAA tournament atmosphere" game tonight.

11/25/2023 9:52 am  #136

The packed house comment was simply bizarre. It looked like there were entire sections of the tiny arena that were empty.

11/25/2023 10:24 am  #137

Support this guy and his site by watching. Love that he actually covers us

11/25/2023 1:34 pm  #138

Highlights from the win over Ohio inbound. Beat UIC 

https://x.com/GWFinalFour/status/1728481222282629380?s=20

11/25/2023 4:21 pm  #139

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

The packed house comment was simply bizarre. It looked like there were entire sections of the tiny arena that were empty.

Official box score had the attendance at 277. That’s not a typo.

11/25/2023 4:31 pm  #140

Board footera