GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/13/2023 11:55 pm  #41

Re: GW beats Bowie St Game

2!!!

Out of dozens

12/14/2023 10:07 am  #42

Just an idea - use the business school MBA program marketing courses to develop ideas and take action as a group.

12/14/2023 11:12 am  #43

I too am curious.   Do you now pay more for parking than for tickets to see a game?

12/14/2023 11:54 am  #44

Great idea PKGW!!!Save money and hopefully get an action plan.

12/14/2023 6:35 pm  #45

I will put 4 people in seats for the Davidson game but living on an island of the coast of Ma. I can't do that very often

12/14/2023 10:30 pm  #46

Low attendance is par for the course at GW and I've been in the stands for 58 years. Some sellouts during the Jarvis and Lonergan years, but certainly the exception not the rule. The saying "win and they will come" applies only partially to the students and alumni. Most can't be bothered to attend at least until the league games start. It would be a miracle if Caputo is able to fill the stands regularly at some point. Right now, I feel bad when coach looks into the stands and sees them woefully unoccupied.  

12/15/2023 2:37 am  #47

I'll beat the long dead horse I've been beating for several decades now - The lack of any meaningful, regular coverage in the local media, primarily TV, radio, and newspapers, is a major reason for poor attendance.   Someone always points out that "nobody reads the papers or watches TV anymore" by way of debunking this argument.    I remain convinced that many sports fans in the DMV (and, yes, even some alums) may not be aware that GW has a basketball team.   After all, it's never mentioned in local media, and wouldn't it be if they had a team ?   It is the biggest University in the city, isn't it ?  The recent POST piece on Garrett Johnson was terrific, but it was an outlier that only tended to prove my point.   The emphasis of the story was on a local kid from Episcopal High with a great human interest back story.   I suppose they did mention that he played for GW now..........I think.

12/15/2023 7:19 am  #48

Ralphie wrote:

I'll beat the long dead horse I've been beating for several decades now - The lack of any meaningful, regular coverage in the local media, primarily TV, radio, and newspapers, is a major reason for poor attendance.   Someone always points out that "nobody reads the papers or watches TV anymore" by way of debunking this argument.    I remain convinced that many sports fans in the DMV (and, yes, even some alums) may not be aware that GW has a basketball team.   After all, it's never mentioned in local media, and wouldn't it be if they had a team ?   It is the biggest University in the city, isn't it ?  The recent POST piece on Garrett Johnson was terrific, but it was an outlier that only tended to prove my point.   The emphasis of the story was on a local kid from Episcopal High with a great human interest back story.   I suppose they did mention that he played for GW now..........I think.

Not just us. George Mason led Maryland’s women for much of the game before ultimately falling. Fairly big article the next day that was so Terp-centric that one had to know that Mason was a local school not to assume they were located in the Midwest or out West. Valiant near major upset should have been a bigger story about the rise of Mason WBB. Nope. Area has 2 schools - Maryland and Georgetown - plus presumably Howard this weekend for football acccording to the Post. Sucks.

12/15/2023 7:23 am  #49

We pay for a semi-weekly coaches show on Monumental Sports Network (formerly NBC Sports Washington).  

We seem to get some nightly game recaps from Jake Rohm at DC News Now.

The Post is hollowing out its Metro section so good luck getting any news stories about the District and the surrounding suburbs soon. Washington Post buyouts hit local coverage - Axios Washington D.C.

Like PKGW said, I think it would be interesting to use our MBA students to propose some options for the athletics department.  Not only would it save $, but maybe that in and of itself could become a news story if it proves to be successful.

12/15/2023 10:23 am  #50

Maybe if the pep band stopped playing Taylor Swift more people would show up at the games?

12/15/2023 2:36 pm  #51

and maybe they could  fix the  PA system so that more of what the announcer says is intelligible. that would add to a more positive fan experience

12/15/2023 5:12 pm  #52

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Maybe if the pep band stopped playing Taylor Swift more people would show up at the games?

I think they should play more Taylor Swift and that will get more people to games

12/15/2023 8:43 pm  #53

Maybe we could get Taylor Swift to come to a game! I know the whole nation is awaiting to see if she shows up at  Sundays Pats- KC game. Taylor Swift Bowl

Board footera