GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/21/2023 11:49 pm  #1

Best Freshmen Duo in GW History

Garrett Johnson and Darren Buchanan, do you project them as among the better Freshmen duos in GW history?

Not saying THE best, just among the mix, and the best in a long time, I'd say best Freshmen duo since: Larsen/Pato?

Who are the best GW Freshmen duos ever?

Shawnta and Yegor #1?

Chris Monroe and Val Brown?

Carl and JR Pinnock?

Yinka and Kwame?

Sonni and Dirkk?

OIder examples??

12/22/2023 9:13 am  #2

Re: Best Freshmen Duo in GW History

The Dude wrote:

Garrett Johnson and Darren Buchanan, do you project them as among the better Freshmen duos in GW history?

Not saying THE best, just among the mix, and the best in a long time, I'd say best Freshmen duo since: Larsen/Pato?

Who are the best GW Freshmen duos ever?

Shawnta and Yegor #1?

Chris Monroe and Val Brown?

Carl and JR Pinnock?

Yinka and Kwame?

Sonni and Dirkk?

OIder examples??

Sonni/Dirkk
Yinka/Vaughn Jones
joeMac/Kethan
Mike Hall/Pops or Omar
Jacoi/Trey

12/22/2023 9:28 am  #3

Yegor/Shawnta is the benchmark

12/22/2023 9:30 am  #4

FQ's namesake was on that freshman team too ^^^

12/22/2023 10:55 am  #5

Respectfully, if we're evaluating our freshmen against other years, then you're asking the wrong question.  Yes, Johnson and Buchanan are doing wonderful things, but that doesn't take into consideration the play of Autry and Hutchinson. 

The right question here is whether there has ever been a group of freshmen at GW who have had the impact that this year's foursome has had?

12/22/2023 2:22 pm  #6

While the collective is certainly impressive, 2 in particular have really shined bright

There are 2 Freshmen on this team combining for 30 points a game. 

Last edited by The Dude (12/22/2023 4:27 pm)

12/22/2023 2:47 pm  #7

Both Garrett and DBJ are redshirt freshmen.  Garrett I believe is old enough to be a junior, DBJ  a sophomore.  Each has had more time to develop in the weight room (though I admittedly have no way of knowing how long Garrett has been able to focus on this).  No matter the case, comparing these two to a pair of 18 year olds seems like an apples to oranges comparison.

12/22/2023 3:39 pm  #8

BM wrote:

Yegor/Shawnta is the benchmark

Ding ding ding ding.  I think we have a winner here, even though I couldn't argue with the Hall/Pops duo.   As a nod to my fellow ancients, Clyde Burwell/Pat Tallent was a pretty good duo.

12/22/2023 7:03 pm  #9

Agree with Yegor/Shawta, but for us old folks there was Pat Tallent and Keith Morris in the backcourt along with Haviland Harper and Clyde Burwell up front.   (Bob Shanta was also in that class).   The problem was that as Freshmen, they had to play on the Freshman team and could not play varsity.  The Freshman team went 17-1 splitting with Maryland for the only loss. This included a 100+ point victory margin over Kirkland Hall.  The Freshman team routinely routed the varsity in practice...

12/23/2023 6:46 am  #10

LA Colonial wrote:

Agree with Yegor/Shawta, but for us old folks there was Pat Tallent and Keith Morris in the backcourt along with Haviland Harper and Clyde Burwell up front.   (Bob Shanta was also in that class).   The problem was that as Freshmen, they had to play on the Freshman team and could not play varsity.  The Freshman team went 17-1 splitting with Maryland for the only loss. This included a 100+ point victory margin over Kirkland Hall.  The Freshman team routinely routed the varsity in practice...

Finally. yes, for the younger crowd, Pat and Keith were the bomb. Pat was a scorer and Keith, though not small was lighting fast. He could use his first step to open up a pass and his passes were all catch-able. Pat was a great outside shooter like Bob, but with his size and his knack to bump defenders and fake them out could score within 10 feet.

Bob Shanta, if memory serves, was from the Pittsburgh area and was the size of a modern day tight end. Thinking of the Alcorn game, Bob was the human solution to weak side defensive rebounding issues. Haviland was the Yegor of the group one of the speed boys out of Philly. Clyde would reject everything.

LA Colonial, the coolest thing about the team was that both Clyde and Haviland were in my.upper level Math classes. they were scholars and both took advantage of their GW degrees.

I look at that team as the launch of modern GW basketball. Bob Tallent's teams would (1) run breaks like surgeons (* banking easy points); (2) contest for offensive rebounds; (3) and find the open shooter and match up advantage.

I would say that CC is a good coach. He has to teach his players to read the gamescape and deliver what is need at the moment. With Pat and Keith, Bob Tallent had that the second they stepped on campus. Alcorn was a film session gift. Chris has to work through tendencies with every player.

12/23/2023 6:49 pm  #11

You can make a strong case for Pat & Keith; Pat was probably the best shooter in our history and that was before the 3 point shot. But I think Shawnta and Mescherikov brought even more to our game. Rogers in my view was our best player ever. I saw his very first game in Sacramento v Sacramento State. I still remember him waiting to come in standing next to a 7-4 guy from Sac State!

12/23/2023 7:35 pm  #12

Really enjoyed watching Pat and Keith as freshmen.  Made up for the 11-14 varsity team. The 3 Tallent brothers from Kentucky were really good for GW. 

12/30/2023 3:45 pm  #13

Didn't see them as freshmen but the Feldmen twins have to be up there

Board footera