GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/30/2023 5:07 pm  #21

Re: GW beats Maryland-ES Game

I want to see vintage James Bishop take over.

12/30/2023 5:13 pm  #22

Playing like we belong in the MEAC, not A-10.

12/30/2023 5:19 pm  #23

With Max out our defense is a lot better.  He just not on his game today

12/30/2023 5:39 pm  #24

Max should be upset with his dipshit lazy-ass passes that result in stupid turnovers

12/30/2023 5:46 pm  #25

Darren big boy rebound and big boy finish. Dang!!!

12/30/2023 6:09 pm  #26

Well we did not play our best basketball against the underbelly of the schedule

On the other hand we won all of the games and we wrap up an 11-2 OOC

Hard to blow out teams shooting 4 for 20 from 3

12/30/2023 6:19 pm  #27

10 turnovers…yay
14 missed free throws…ugh
4 of 20 from 3…ugh

12/30/2023 6:49 pm  #28

Interesting thing about the schedule is if we somehow go 11-7 in the league, that would put 22 (counting Bowie State) and 9. 
Then, does our schedule matter?

12/30/2023 7:21 pm  #29

jf wrote:

Interesting thing about the schedule is if we somehow go 11-7 in the league, that would put 22 (counting Bowie State) and 9. 
Then, does our schedule matter?

Most people think a team like St Joe’s, who is top 50 NET, needs to go 14-4 in conference to get a AL. 11-7 (especially if the 11 don’t include wins against all the top teams) isn’t going to cut it.

12/30/2023 7:26 pm  #30

The Dude wrote:

Well we did not play our best basketball against the underbelly of the schedule

On the other hand we won all of the games and we wrap up an 11-2 OOC

Hard to blow out teams shooting 4 for 20 from 3

Caputo’s strategy of scheduling easy to accumulate wins for the NET worked, but the team didn’t hold up its other end of the bargain and that’s to win big.

As it is, we are the worst 11 win team according to KenPom. We’ve dropped something like 40 points while going 7-2. Cal is currently ranked ahead of us and is 4-8 on the season.

12/30/2023 9:08 pm  #31

We’ve played down to the competition the last month or so, but the question is, will we play up to the competition in the coming weeks and months? I could see us going 6-12 in conference, but I could also see us go 12-6. I for one think we will play better and be closer to the latter (10 or 11 wins).

12/30/2023 11:36 pm  #32

Early in the season, we played with a chip on our shoulder. We were aggressive and loose and seemed to be having a lot of fun. 

As we’ve slogged through the holidays and finals against weaker teams, we’ve become much more methodical (our pace has slowed down a lot) and we’ve generally been on our heels, rather than the aggressors taking it to the team. 

For that reason, I’m not so worried about conference play.  The league is tough this year and every game will be a battle, but from what I’ve seen, I think the team will be much more energetic and aggressive when playing worthy opponents, than these last couple clunker wins. That doesn’t mean I think we’re rolling through the league, but I think we’ll start playing with purpose again (at least when students are back).

As for today, we consistently had wide open shots that we missed from deep and the line. With an average shooting day, we win by 20 - or more if UMES doesn’t get career games out of two guys and match their season high for threes including a banked in one.  I’m pleased we cut down tos (only 3 in second half) and that we got the win, but hopefully this game just means we are due to shoot great against Fordham.

12/31/2023 9:55 am  #33

One of the reasons that Hupstead was able to have a career game was based upon who was guarding him (Akingbola).  Like many here, I like Akingbola but he is basically a one trick pony who brings very little else to the game.   Finding a replacement for him for next season I hope is very high on the priority list.   Three formulas for near disaster were 1.  shooting 4-20 from the three;  2.  missing a whopping 14 free throws and 3.  the ineffectiveness of Max.  Coach had a very short leash with him, playing him only 18 minutes for the game, and hardly at all the second half.  Max did start the second half and was pulled after just 3 or 4 minutes for his lackadasical play, benched for 10 minutes or so, brought back in and almost immediately pulled again for more ineffective play.   However, I did not see any "attitude" concerns from Max, as alluded to earlier.   Still, I hope a "dog house" situation is not emerging.   He has not been playing well since the Bahamas and needs to step up his play or he is going to start losing minutes to Trey, who seems to improve with every game.   There were many other factors involved in the poor play, including the aforementioned lack of energy (I am not certain that this team can turn it on or off); ineffective ball rotation (our offense consists too much of one playing holding the ball for 5-10 seconds, trying to make something happen then dishing off if he cannot) and again being outrebounded by a smaller team (17-12 on the offense boards and 45-40 overall).  James and Max shooting a combined 4-20 certainly didn't help.   I hope we can turn it on vs. Fordham, as Free is saying, but based on our play of late, frankly this team doesn't look like it is capable of beating anyone in the conference, home or away, unless it really steps it up.   Our strength of schedule is now a jaw dropping bad 360th out of 362 D-1 teams, and whereas there is a feel good aspect of being 11-2, I just don't believe that this schedule has done us any favors in preparing for conference play.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (12/31/2023 10:01 am)

12/31/2023 10:17 am  #34

Agree with LSF. An excellent analysis. I believe the coaching staff had a weak game. Even after 13 games ,GW struggles to inbound the ball under pressure. Players stand around and often do not  to come to the ball. Allowing Hupstead to go from averaging 11 point a game to 27 is not acceptable. Players like to be known as high I.Q players. When James fouled a three point shooter with 60 seconds left ,he lost this designation. I believe Buchanan handles the ball way too much . He left 8 foul shots on the floor, missed two bunnies and fouled a desperation three point shooter with 0ne second left in the first half. With 40 seconds left and GW in the lead ,he makes a steal and promptly heads for the basket instead of bringing it back out and taking time off. Contrast this with Garret Johnson who 10 seconds later received a pass and brought the ball out to milk the clock. GW struggles with tempo. We give up leads too easily. I would like to see more Autry and less Buchanan at the end of each half.

12/31/2023 12:28 pm  #35

https://gwradio.com/gw-escapes-tight-non-conference-closer-to-start-season-11-2/

I'm happy we're 11-2 heading into conference play and avoided losing any buy games. I'm not happy about the performances recently. I share the concerns about Max but I'm confident about the abilities of Caputo and co to get him to play his best. Hopefully the return of students/start of conference play reenergizes the team

12/31/2023 12:39 pm  #36

Buchanan has been very good at getting to the rim but his FT shooting is a concern. He's gotten there nearly 60 times this season (only 4 attempts less than JBIV) but is only hitting 64% of those attempts. Need to start hitting those at a much higher rate.

14 TOs per game is also tied for 40th worst in the nation. Can't keep letting teams stick around because of  careless TOs

12/31/2023 12:45 pm  #37

We forget how JB4 and Max grabbed the headlines last year, and underestimate the major adjustments they both needed to make.  With the addition of new talent and the loss of BA, Ricky, and Hunter, these past 6 weeks required a major adaptive change that is still evolving. Not only is it a challenge to incorporate the basketball side of things, but the egos are equally tested.  This is where we find out CC’s real coaching abilities.  We haven’t been privy to practices but I bet CC is forming his best rotations for conference play. 

I think Max will be fine but he’s struggling right now.  He needs to buy-in and play within the system.  I also think Benny will be fine.  He and Max have an adrenaline problem where they start out overexcited and settle down. They need to let the game come to them.

Am confident and hopeful that CC will navigate the rough waters of conference play.  He did say that we have a lot of guys who never played college hoops before.  JB4 and Max are still figuring that out.

12/31/2023 3:12 pm  #38

Is it fair to say we have no idea how this team will do in conference play?I do love all the speculation-always 
interesting to read others expectations,wishes.I do trust that CC will do the best he can-other than that I’m 
ready for any eventuality.

12/31/2023 7:48 pm  #39

Max played like he had transfer on his mind. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some "DNP/not with team" in the boxscore during some A10 games with no explanations for the absence.  

12/31/2023 9:01 pm  #40

Martiniboy wrote:

Max played like he had transfer on his mind. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some "DNP/not with team" in the boxscore during some A10 games with no explanations for the absence.  

If that’s playing with transfer on his mind, he must be thinking Towson State.

Board footera