GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2024 4:33 pm  #21

Re: GW beats Davidson !!

Game ball to JACOI!
W is a W (we’ll take it)
This team likes thin ice

1/13/2024 4:37 pm  #22

Is the box score right?  2 D-1 teams a combined 17-39 from the free throw line?!?   Did we replace the rims with the small ones used at the state fair booth for free throws?!?

1/13/2024 4:40 pm  #23

The inbounds to Darren was a bit of a head scratcher, but glad he hit at least two down the stretch to get the win. Maybe coach wanted to build his confidence. The missed FTs seem to just be in his head.

Great win otherwise! Always nice to see a large contingent of away fans leave disappointed!

1/13/2024 4:47 pm  #24

The strategy at the end was unexpected.  I think CC gets the benefit of the doubt, he has everyone playing well when they need a big moment.  Although I could use a little less stress watching.

1/13/2024 4:54 pm  #25

Cardiac Colonials…..would have worked previously lol

1/13/2024 5:01 pm  #26

PKGW wrote:

Is the box score right?  2 D-1 teams a combined 17-39 from the free throw line?!?   Did we replace the rims with the small ones used at the state fair booth for free throws?!?

This was NOT played on the same level as these two teams' legendary 4OT game in 2020.

1/13/2024 5:06 pm  #27

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

PKGW wrote:

This was NOT played on the same level as these two teams' legendary 4OT game in 2020.

Are you saying today was better or worse?

1/13/2024 5:13 pm  #28

I thought the team played very well today, except for the FTs. If we shot our season average, the game would not have been very close.

1/13/2024 5:27 pm  #29

We got torched on the boards, in the paint, and they scored at will from the post.  Lots of blown defensive assignments in need of work.  Lots of knuckleheaded fixable turnovers. 

Hope we play a cleaner game on Monday!!

LETS GO REVS

1/13/2024 5:33 pm  #30

1/13/2024 5:57 pm  #31

This team's ability to win tight games like this is just remarkable and so much fun to watch. Certainly room for improvement at the free throw line (Garrett going 2-5 from the line is wild) and on the boards but a win is a win. 7 OT games is the most in a single season in program history... and we still have 15 games left https://x.com/n1a2v3y4/status/1746281076958306305?s=20

1/13/2024 6:02 pm  #32

H&R..71 wrote:

We got torched on the boards, in the paint, and they scored at will from the post.  Lots of blown defensive assignments in need of work.  Lots of knuckleheaded fixable turnovers. 

LETS GO REVS

We only got torched in the boards in the first half. In the second half + OT, we out rebounded them 27-22.

I thought we really stepped up our defense and rebounding after halftime.  We showed much more effort to get every board we could, especially max.  After the half, we seemed to want the ball more. 

On defense, I thought Davidson hit a few tough shots over Stretch, really the first team all year that has succeeded going one on one with him.  But I thought we made some brilliant halftime adjustments with help defense when they were backing us in that caused turnovers and tough shots (we haven’t needed to help in the post before today, but Davidson doesn’t shoot well and even though they couldn’t hit those shots over Stretch in 2H it was really smart to make them uncomfortable. Jacoi was really good on the help).

Tremendous poise when we got down 8. For such a young team, we have a quiet confidence about us. 

Great coaching to get the timeout with 1.7 seconds left on a really smart play where Jacoi caught a half court pass and called TO, and then the alleyoop was a perfect call that almost worked (max was fouled, but those refs weren’t going to call it).

Speaking of refs, there was a drive late in OT where Skogman was isolated in Bishop and was using his arms on Bishop the whole way and we didn’t get the call.  When it went to the time out, Caputo came halfway across the court and was screaming at the ref.  He was showing the ref exactly what Skogman did and I could hear him yell “unbelievable” a couple times.  I’m not sure if you could see any of that on TV, but I’ve rarely seen CC that pissed at the refs (I missed the Fordham game where I know we got screwed, I suspect the A10 head of officiating will be getting a tape of how much contact Davidson was allowed to make). 

And shout outs to Bishop for his shooting and leadership, and Garrett Johnson for his clutch shooting (though he had only missed 5 FTs all year before his 3 misses today).  Really impressed that Garrett played the last 11 minutes or so with 4 fouls and really battled hard without fouling. 

Oh, and one more point - great job by the players following the scouting report.  Down the stretch we did allow some open threes to like Huffman and Brizzi, but they are bad shooters and I’m sure we were happy to let them take the shots (even though hey did hit some today).

1/13/2024 6:02 pm  #33

gwstudent2024 wrote:

This team's ability to win tight games like this is just remarkable and so much fun to watch. Certainly room for improvement at the free throw line (Garrett going 2-5 from the line is wild) and on the boards but a win is a win. 7 OT games is the most in a single season in program history... and we still have 15 games left https://x.com/n1a2v3y4/status/1746281076958306305?s=20

Not 7 OT games.  7 OT periods we’ve played (4 in the last 3 games).

1/13/2024 6:11 pm  #34

Free Quebec wrote:

gwstudent2024 wrote:

Not 7 OT games. 7 OT periods we’ve played (4 in the last 3 games).

Oops, thanks for pointing that out. The adrenaline has apparently damaged my reading comprehension

1/13/2024 6:14 pm  #35

How does the team go 21-26 from the ft line against VCU and then go 8-20 against Davidson? 

1/13/2024 6:46 pm  #36

BC wrote:

How does the team go 21-26 from the ft line against VCU and then go 8-20 against Davidson? 

Cerebral flatulence

1/13/2024 6:49 pm  #37

I should keep this thought to myself until after the game Monday. But if GW were to go 14-4 with a win at Dayton, are we in the conversation for a bid?

1/13/2024 7:10 pm  #38

Hoopsfan23 wrote:

I should keep this thought to myself until after the game Monday. But if GW were to go 14-4 with a win at Dayton, are we in the conversation for a bid?

Here is a link just for you... 
https://phoenix.eater.com/maps/phoenix-best-restaurants-38

1/13/2024 7:16 pm  #39

They scouted us very well -- exploit Stretch, hedge on JB, set multiple screens and then beat us off the dribble. Worked in the first half but then CC made adjustments at the half that worked. Very glad to have a guy that is a good in-game coach. He's the right guy for us.

Still not sold on our offense, though. A lot of standing around and then a high ball screen. Makes us easy to guard and puts us into 1-on-1 situations.   

1/13/2024 7:29 pm  #40

Free Quebec wrote:

H&R..71 wrote:

We got torched on the boards, in the paint, and they scored at will from the post. Lots of blown defensive assignments in need of work. Lots of knuckleheaded fixable turnovers.

LETS GO REVS

We only got torched in the boards in the first half. In the second half + OT, we out rebounded them 27-22.

I thought we really stepped up our defense and rebounding after halftime. We showed much more effort to get every board we could, especially max. After the half, we seemed to want the ball more.

On defense, I thought Davidson hit a few tough shots over Stretch, really the first team all year that has succeeded going one on one with him. But I thought we made some brilliant halftime adjustments with help defense when they were backing us in that caused turnovers and tough shots (we haven’t needed to help in the post before today, but Davidson doesn’t shoot well and even though they couldn’t hit those shots over Stretch in 2H it was really smart to make them uncomfortable. Jacoi was really good on the help).

Tremendous poise when we got down 8. For such a young team, we have a quiet confidence about us.

Great coaching to get the timeout with 1.7 seconds left on a really smart play where Jacoi caught a half court pass and called TO, and then the alleyoop was a perfect call that almost worked (max was fouled, but those refs weren’t going to call it).

Speaking of refs, there was a drive late in OT where Skogman was isolated in Bishop and was using his arms on Bishop the whole way and we didn’t get the call. When it went to the time out, Caputo came halfway across the court and was screaming at the ref. He was showing the ref exactly what Skogman did and I could hear him yell “unbelievable” a couple times. I’m not sure if you could see any of that on TV, but I’ve rarely seen CC that pissed at the refs (I missed the Fordham game where I know we got screwed, I suspect the A10 head of officiating will be getting a tape of how much contact Davidson was allowed to make).

And shout outs to Bishop for his shooting and leadership, and Garrett Johnson for his clutch shooting (though he had only missed 5 FTs all year before his 3 misses today). Really impressed that Garrett played the last 11 minutes or so with 4 fouls and really battled hard without fouling.

Oh, and one more point - great job by the players following the scouting report. Down the stretch we did allow some open threes to like Huffman and Brizzi, but they are bad shooters and I’m sure we were happy to let them take the shots (even though hey did hit some today).

Excellent observations. I'm not a blame the refs guy, that game was officiated like a 2017 road game vs Mo Allie Cox's VCU team.   Just the non Tech on the spiked ball alone was bizarre.  

The Coaching decisions and the play design were just outstanding, here's an example of how in a very close game, Coaching decisions for sure matter.  Get the ball to half court, quick TO.  Throw the lob at the rim, up 3 late, foul. etc etc.  Caputo pulled all the right strings.

Board footera