GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2024 8:17 pm  #1

GW Revs NIL Webinar

Join Friends of George, GW's alumni-led Name, Image & Likeness (NIL) program, on Thursday, January 18 at 7:00 PM, for a webinar discussing the NIL program at GW & how GW's approach to NIL compares to other schools. Panelists include Director of Athletics Tanya Vogel, GW School of Business Visiting Assistant Professor of Sport Management Meredith Geisler, & Blueprint Sports.

Questions for the panel can be submitted through a Q&A box during the webinar.

https://connect.gwu.edu/site/Calendar?id=125629&view=Detail

1/11/2024 8:22 pm  #2

1/12/2024 1:58 pm  #3

Re: GW Revs NIL Webinar

Glad they changed (or hopefully just corrected) it from pre-submitted questions only to a Q and A box.
Though not sure screening questions in any manner from your most ardent supporters is a great
idea, as opposed to actual Q and A.

1/12/2024 8:46 pm  #4

jf wrote:

Glad they changed (or hopefully just corrected) it from pre-submitted questions only to a Q and A box.
Though not sure screening questions in any manner from your most ardent supporters is a great

I can see both sides. I too hope this is not a North Korea-esque press briefing, but given we’re still a week out, if they’re getting a bunch of the same questions, maybe they can tweak the presentation to reflect the info people want to know. 

1/12/2024 8:55 pm  #5

Bad look screening questions for something new like this. Also thin the occasional sessions with Caputo - where you have to type out questions in real time is goofy too. Just take  live questions via zoom like any number of calls we all do every day.  That kind of interaction is fun amd it builds goodwill.

1/12/2024 9:01 pm  #6

GW0509 wrote:

jf wrote:

I can see both sides. I too hope this is not a North Korea-esque press briefing, but given we’re still a week out, if they’re getting a bunch of the same questions, maybe they can tweak the presentation to reflect the info people want to know. 

Advantage of Q&A box is to present actual question for a response and avoiding extraneous speechifying pre-question. Given nature of issue, have to believe moderators are not auditioning to play for Schoonmaker’s  softball team but looking to explain current state of NIL’s in general, possible impact of new school takeover supposedly under consideration by NCAA and situation specifically at GW.

Last edited by Poog (1/12/2024 9:02 pm)

1/12/2024 11:23 pm  #7

Alum1 wrote:

Bad look screening questions for something new like this. Also thin the occasional sessions with Caputo - where you have to type out questions in real time is goofy too. Just take  live questions via zoom like any number of calls we all do every day.  That kind of interaction is fun amd it builds goodwill.

Well said.

1/16/2024 2:33 pm  #8

The school has gone back to marketing the NIL event as only questions in advance.

https://twitter.com/GW_MBB/status/1747332895998648639?t=SuP51C-poV2BTw4moud2fg&s=19

1/16/2024 6:32 pm  #9

I am fine with the questions in advance. It's potentially a larger audience and zoom calls with many participants randomly asking questions can often become unwieldy. If you have additional questions I am sure there will be a forum to ask them. The idea behind advanced questions is to keep it moving (given the finite time) and to try to eliminate redundant or similar questions. This isn't some press conference with hard hitting journalism.

1/18/2024 7:06 pm  #10

GWRising wrote:

I am fine with the questions in advance. It's potentially a larger audience and zoom calls with many participants randomly asking questions can often become unwieldy. If you have additional questions I am sure there will be a forum to ask them. The idea behind advanced questions is to keep it moving (given the finite time) and to try to eliminate redundant or similar questions. This isn't some press conference with hard hitting journalism.

Then why wouldn't you take questions via say email during the event? You're still screening questions. Only accepting questions in advance prevents viewers from submitting questions as they arise from new information.

1/18/2024 7:27 pm  #11

Alum '04 wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Then why wouldn't you take questions via say email during the event? You're still screening questions. Only accepting questions in advance prevents viewers from submitting questions as they arise from new information.

Due to interest of time - if you have to read questions that may be embedded in a longer email often with a statement included. What if you got a hundred questions on the spot. How do you decide which ones to answer? And yes, some questions are not appropriate. No one is going to tell you how much James Bishop has earned in NIL. Why? Because you just let the competition know what GW pays its better players and also provided information that James may not want out there. There are certain aspects to this that cannot be openly addressed.

However, I am quite certain that if someone has additional questions that can be answered there will be another forum to ask them.. 

1/19/2024 8:53 am  #12

I had something else come up and wasn't able to join the call.
I would appreciate a summary of any important points. 

1/22/2024 3:15 pm  #13

Given that NILs don’t have to disclose their donors, is there anything preventing a school with means from paying their coach an extra, say $2 million a year, and then the coach putting $2 million of personal money into the NIL as a de facto way of the school funding its own NIL program?

1/22/2024 4:06 pm  #14

One of those things that you can do, but could blow up in your face.

FC, other tidbits that I can recall (I was multitasking): Focus on protecting the team and GW.  Doing everything as conservatively as possible. Raised "in the mid six figures" last year. Two ways to donate:  Through non profit work where the student athlete will have to work at a non-profit for the money (tax deductible), or, run-of-the-mill NIL.  International students can't do the former.  Targeted towards men's hoops, but available to all student athletes.

1/22/2024 4:12 pm  #15

Free Quebec wrote:

Given that NILs don’t have to disclose their donors, is there anything preventing a school with means from paying their coach an extra, say $2 million a year, and then the coach putting $2 million of personal money into the NIL as a de facto way of the school funding its own NIL program?

Tax planners, attorneys, and the IRS would love you! 

I joined the call, and if you are familiar with the NIL environment, there really wasn't much new to explain beyond the university's desire to help athletes understand the financial consequences and needs of making more money and distributing NIL opportunities beyond MBB.  

Last edited by Merrick (1/22/2024 4:15 pm)

1/22/2024 6:06 pm  #16

BM wrote:

Two ways to donate:  Through non profit work where the student athlete will have to work at a non-profit for the money (tax deductible), or, run-of-the-mill NIL.  International students can't do the former.  Targeted towards men's hoops, but available to all student athletes.

If you are interested in donating via the non-profit, here is the link https://bpsfoundation.net/donations/georgewashingtonuniversity/

For the international kids, they said it was easy to do this year because our MTE was in the Bahamas so the NIL work could be done in conjunction.. Might be harder the years we stay within the US.

1/22/2024 7:06 pm  #17

Thanks for the info.

Board footera