GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/26/2024 1:53 pm  #1

Scheduling for Success

There has been a lot of talk on this board both this year and in the past focused on how it’s incredibly difficult for A10 teams to post high NET rankings and turn the A-10 into a serious multi-bid contender year in and year out. 

The Athletic has released their latest projections for the NCAA tournament, with an astounding six Mountain West teams in the current field.  While they acknowledge that that number is likely to go down as the season progresses, they do a great job in the article in discussing how MWC schools have made this happen for their conference.

Definitely worth a read!

https://theathletic.com/5227456/2024/01/26/ncaa-tournament-bracket-watch-mountain-west/?source=user_shared_article

1/26/2024 2:14 pm  #2

Re: Scheduling for Success

Great read!

Even though the NET was designed to reward mediocre P6 schools, I gotta wonder if they end up tweaking the formula now that the MWC has hacked it.  I don't think the powers that be actually want to see Boise State get in as the 6th MWC school over Virginia Tech/Virginia/Miami or Ohio State/Iowa/Northwestern

1/28/2024 12:39 pm  #3

Re: Scheduling for Success

BGF wrote:

There has been a lot of talk on this board both this year and in the past focused on how it’s incredibly difficult for A10 teams to post high NET rankings and turn the A-10 into a serious multi-bid contender year in and year out.

The Athletic has released their latest projections for the NCAA tournament, with an astounding six Mountain West teams in the current field. While they acknowledge that that number is likely to go down as the season progresses, they do a great job in the article in discussing how MWC schools have made this happen for their conference.

Definitely worth a read!

https://theathletic.com/5227456/2024/01/26/ncaa-tournament-bracket-watch-mountain-west/?source=user_shared_article

So happy to see real journalism being performed on such an important topic. I have been hammering Bernadette McGlade for this since 2018----what exactly are you doing to grow the number of bids the A-10 receives? Because everything about the league's success and its members success revolves around that. To state the obvious, more bids means better players and coaches want to compete in your league, better salaries for coaches, higher revenue for your conference, etc.

Bernadette has not adequately addressed the A-10s slide into a one-bid league and this article shows I was right all along. Fire Bernadette and hire a commissioner who is going to take men's basketball seriously and return the league to previous heights.

Board footera