GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/22/2024 10:45 am  #1

Sports Illustrated

The likely scenario is that if you are in your 30's or younger, you don't have much idea as to the enormous impact that Sports Illustrated had on sports journalism, and really on journalism in general.  If you are in your 40's, you may have some idea and if you're in your 50's or are older, you fully get it.  Like you got the magazine in the mail, most every Thursday, and woe be unto the letter carrier for being a day late or God forbid, missing an occasional issue altogether.  The magazine's reputation was crafted upon its exceptional photography but soon, the country's most talented sportswriters lined up to write for the publication.  Frank Deford.  Rick Reilly (the younger, very entertaining version).  Curry Kirkpatrick.  Peter King.  Steve Rushin.  Richard Deitsch (if you like the sports media stuff which I do), Dan Jenkins, Peter Gammons, Dr. Z, Alexander Wolff, Jack McCallum, Rick Telander, the occasional first-person piece by George Plimpton, and the "give yourself 30 minutes to read" essay from arguably the best of all of them, Gary Smith.

The bad news surrounding SI came well before Friday's announcement that the publication is on life support.  Frankly, it has felt this way for years.  Ownership changed hands and as happens way too often in business, maximizing profits became far more important than putting out a superior product.  Proofreaders and editors were let go.  Writers got their resumes together.  Reader habits turned to digital where SI was agonizingly slow to adapt.  The magazine changed it's schedule to every other week,  followed by some indecipherable schedule where you might get the magazine once or twice per month contingent upon the month, and then finally, to a monthly schedule. 

As a weekly publication, SI was never about providing a summary of the game; that's what newspapers were for.  But SI could walk you through what led up to a big game to the reactions given after the game was played.  That was now gone.  The bi-monthy and monthy SI was limited to features and season previews.  Perhaps even more importantly, the quality of the writing deteriorated significantly.  There have been recent reports of AI-generated articles and before that, under-qualified writers hired to skim costs.  No matter how often the magazine was publishing, it hardly mattered.  SI had become The New Coke, a product that nobody ever asked for or wanted.

Let's close with some of the GW highlights over the years in SI.  In December of 1975, "Siblings, But Nary a Rivalry" discussed both father-son and brother-brother coach-player relationships in the college game, which included Bob Tallent coaching his younger brother Pat.  Pat said that the two engaged in two-on-two games frequently as kids, important training for Pat as he understood exactly how Bob wanted him to play.  In April, 1984, "From Russia With Love" chronicled GW's recruitment of Max Blank.  Max chose GW over Temple (interestingly, GW had both a Jewish coach in Gerry Gimelstob and Jewish Athletic Director Steve Bilsky at the time) and the article cites Bilsky being on the receiving end of antisemitic remarks from a Temple athletic administration official at that time.)  

Here is a passage regarding Yinka and the Sweet 16 team, along with a Mike Jarvis anecdote that I assume we all did not know or were willing to forget about:

Dare (pronounced dar-AY), the Colonials' 7-foot freshman center from Nigeria, can't shoot beyond 10 feet, which makes every one of his free throws an adventure. But he's agile and active, and he responds to cheers of "Hip, hip, Dare!" from the George Washington band. The Colonials share a city and a first syllable with a much more storied program, and coach Mike Jarvis cannot tell a lie: "One time I was giving a pregame talk. It was my best, most inspiring stuff. I ended by saying, 'Now let's go out and win one for Georgetown. I mean, George Washington.' It happens."

Finally, there is the infamous photograph of Shawnta Rogers standing side by side with Alexander Koul.  That received a ton of publicity.

RIP Sports Illustrated.  I appreciate the magnificent run.

1/23/2024 12:16 am  #2

Re: Sports Illustrated

Thanks GW Mayhem! Truly an inspired remembrance.

Growing up I used to get The Sporting News and SI and while I didn't have as long to enjoy SI as you did, it's a true loss. Pouring one out tonight.

First post of my GW Hoops fanboard career and I want to give a special thanks to all of you for your posts and to Barry, who I had the pleasure to work with at the Charles E. You all make me laugh, cry, think, and yearn for the next game. I found you all in the early part of COVID and I want to thank you all so so deeply. Onto Richmond!! Raise High!

1/23/2024 10:58 am  #3

Good post Mayhem.   I remember the brothers coaching brothers article very well, as I was a GW alum attending Creighton Law School at the time of publication.  Cretighton was coached by Tom Apke, who coached his brother Rick Apke (an excellent player).   There were other striking similarities at the time between the 2 schools, as both were urban campuses living in the shadow of far bigger programs.   For GW it was Maryland (Ge**getown had not yet taken off and had a program comparable to GW) and for Creighton, it was University of Nebraska.   Interesting how membership in the Big East elevated both programs well past where GW, although GW does have a proud basketball history itself.

1/23/2024 1:59 pm  #4

Well done Gwmayhem!  Started reading SI in my pediatrician's office and had a subscription beginning at 10 or 11 years old.  When I finally gave it up some 40-50 years later, it was like breaking up with a longtime girlfriend where it took several years to fully let go.    

For the historical record, I'll add one GW SI non-highlight in June 1996 relating to the recruitment of Richie Parker.  

1/23/2024 2:07 pm  #5

Beautifully written post Mayhem.I spent many a day and or night reading SI from cover to cover.All the information a sports fan needed delivered in the classiest prose.Progress often entails mourning.
I hate it.

1/23/2024 2:32 pm  #6

Well written post.  Wasn’t SI the original “Sidd Finch” April Fools article?  As a Mets fan, they had me fooled for sure.

1/23/2024 3:07 pm  #7

Thanks for the memories, GWmayhem and all.  I too devoured every issue, stating with "Scorecard" and "They Said It."  I still have dozens of old issues - a great record of decades of sports history.  I remember Dave Hobel as the first Colonial to appear in a photograph in SI, although he was guarding a West Virginia player in a story on the Mountaineers.  

1/23/2024 4:39 pm  #8

PKGW wrote:

Well written post.  Wasn’t SI the original “Sidd Finch” April Fools article?  As a Mets fan, they had me fooled for sure.

Sidd Finch was Plimpton's opus magnum for SI.
Got a subscription as a bar mitzvah gift and kept it until I fled the US and into exile after graduating. Great photography, outstanding writing, broad coverage. From an era when being the first to yell nonsense loudly was not a valued trait.

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (1/23/2024 4:40 pm)

1/23/2024 5:06 pm  #9

Several GW memories and one personal one. First GW connection for me was seeing Bob Tallent in the Faces in the Crowd section of SI in the spring before I entered GW in the fall of 1969. Remember articles about Coach Tallent discussing Mike Zagardo studying on the road and, of course, the big article about incoming Dapper Dan Classic participant and recruit Max Blank from Odessa. I also could be seen in the stands in one of those big two page picture spreads in the front of the magazine of Anna Montanana passing the ball in a 1st round NCAA game won by GW at North Carolina against Mississippi. Really was a magazine that you read for the articles though the photography was outstanding as well. 

1/24/2024 11:29 am  #10

Gwmayhem wrote:

The likely scenario is that if you are in your 30's or younger, you don't have much idea as to the enormous impact that Sports Illustrated had on sports journalism, and really on journalism in general.  If you are in your 40's, you may have some idea and if you're in your 50's or are older, you fully get it.  Like you got the magazine in the mail, most every Thursday, and woe be unto the letter carrier for being a day late or God forbid, missing an occasional issue altogether.  The magazine's reputation was crafted upon its exceptional photography but soon, the country's most talented sportswriters lined up to write for the publication.  Frank Deford.  Rick Reilly (the younger, very entertaining version).  Curry Kirkpatrick.  Peter King.  Steve Rushin.  Richard Deitsch (if you like the sports media stuff which I do), Dan Jenkins, Peter Gammons, Dr. Z, Alexander Wolff, Jack McCallum, Rick Telander, the occasional first-person piece by George Plimpton, and the "give yourself 30 minutes to read" essay from arguably the best of all of them, Gary Smith.

The bad news surrounding SI came well before Friday's announcement that the publication is on life support.  Frankly, it has felt this way for years.  Ownership changed hands and as happens way too often in business, maximizing profits became far more important than putting out a superior product.  Proofreaders and editors were let go.  Writers got their resumes together.  Reader habits turned to digital where SI was agonizingly slow to adapt.  The magazine changed it's schedule to every other week,  followed by some indecipherable schedule where you might get the magazine once or twice per month contingent upon the month, and then finally, to a monthly schedule. 

As a weekly publication, SI was never about providing a summary of the game; that's what newspapers were for.  But SI could walk you through what led up to a big game to the reactions given after the game was played.  That was now gone.  The bi-monthy and monthy SI was limited to features and season previews.  Perhaps even more importantly, the quality of the writing deteriorated significantly.  There have been recent reports of AI-generated articles and before that, under-qualified writers hired to skim costs.  No matter how often the magazine was publishing, it hardly mattered.  SI had become The New Coke, a product that nobody ever asked for or wanted.

Let's close with some of the GW highlights over the years in SI.  In December of 1975, "Siblings, But Nary a Rivalry" discussed both father-son and brother-brother coach-player relationships in the college game, which included Bob Tallent coaching his younger brother Pat.  Pat said that the two engaged in two-on-two games frequently as kids, important training for Pat as he understood exactly how Bob wanted him to play.  In April, 1984, "From Russia With Love" chronicled GW's recruitment of Max Blank.  Max chose GW over Temple (interestingly, GW had both a Jewish coach in Gerry Gimelstob and Jewish Athletic Director Steve Bilsky at the time) and the article cites Bilsky being on the receiving end of antisemitic remarks from a Temple athletic administration official at that time.)  

Here is a passage regarding Yinka and the Sweet 16 team, along with a Mike Jarvis anecdote that I assume we all did not know or were willing to forget about:

Dare (pronounced dar-AY), the Colonials' 7-foot freshman center from Nigeria, can't shoot beyond 10 feet, which makes every one of his free throws an adventure. But he's agile and active, and he responds to cheers of "Hip, hip, Dare!" from the George Washington band. The Colonials share a city and a first syllable with a much more storied program, and coach Mike Jarvis cannot tell a lie: "One time I was giving a pregame talk. It was my best, most inspiring stuff. I ended by saying, 'Now let's go out and win one for Georgetown. I mean, George Washington.' It happens."

Finally, there is the infamous photograph of Shawnta Rogers standing side by side with Alexander Koul.  That received a ton of publicity.

AMEN GWMAYHEM  AMEN

1/24/2024 12:06 pm  #11

Good post Gwmayhem.

As someone who has both a Sports Illustrated collection of perhaps over a thousand issues, 20 framed covers, and a very good familiarity with the media industry, I can comment. 

First, personally very disappointed that it has come to this. An iconic brand is likely biting the dust. A brand which provided me as a child with some of the basis for my love of so many sports. There are last minute attempts to see if anyone will buy the rights but I don't see it at least not for what they are reportedly asking for. It's really unfortunate but there are elements of circumstances as well as self-inflicted wounds that have contributed here.

The circumstances ... simply put the magazine business is dying due to decreased circulation. Even digital magazines are not reaching the mark. The younger generations have so much access to real-time information on sports that a weekly or monthly magazine is no longer timely nor that informative. They just consume media so much differently than we did due mainly to technology innovations. It is much different than when those of us over say 50 were growing up and we waited for delivery of SI because other than the newspapers, there wasn't much available.. As a result, due to vastly decreased circulation and readership, advertising dollars which are necessary to SI's survival are drying up making many magazines no longer viable.

The self-infliction ... I don't want to overstate this because the circumstances alone might have been enough but frankly SI alienated many of their loyal readers in recent years with its political bent. I've seen many surveys that demonstrate strongly that the public wants sports to avoid politics. Sports is seen as perhaps the last bastion of unity where people of different beliefs can put aside their differences and root for the same team. ESPN has suffered greatly for this as well. Given the strong political tensions and divisions in the U.S., many want to enjoy the sanctuary that sports offered unabated by politics. When SI decided to inject political articles and promotion of certain views at the expense of others, it lost more of its audience which it could already ill-afford to lose due to the circumstances set forth above.

Last edited by GWRising (1/24/2024 12:07 pm)

1/30/2024 7:25 pm  #12

Gwmayhem wrote:

GWmayhem, just catching up on things and came across your post which I very much appreciate. The great David Halberstam, may he rest in peace, is another amazing writer that sometimes wrote for SI.  I got rid of my subscription years ago, when they cut way back, but I loved getting that magazine every week.

Board footera