GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/23/2020 6:58 pm  #1

Where We Are

We are 7-11 and 1-4 in conference. Can this program be turned around under this coach? Or do we need a change at the helm? Thoughts? If you think Rizzotti can turn it around, please state why you think so. Just trying to get a gauge on board sentiment because I can see the arguments both ways and I think we are nearing a decision point for GW.

1/23/2020 9:59 pm  #2

Re: Where We Are

I'm not as knowledgeable about basketball as most others here, but I could Never understand why a coach at a lower level who had losing seasons 3 of her last 4 years there was selected.   From my perspective, her players tend to get worse from year to year.  I could be wrong about that - that's just my sense.    Can injuries - GW has had many - be due to the coaches lack of preparation and conditioning?    We could have gotten a better coach, but Nero was the AD.

1/24/2020 6:46 am  #3

It has been a tough season for sure.  That being said, look at the quality and quantity of transfers being brought in over the past couple of years, and look at the quality and credentials of the recruits as PEOPLE and players who have been brought in.  And look at the Coach's standing within the NCAAW community - very well respected.  And look at the caliber of our schedule.  And yes, Patrick Nero hired her.

1/24/2020 9:45 am  #4

keithgreene wrote:

It has been a tough season for sure.  That being said, look at the quality and quantity of transfers being brought in over the past couple of years, and look at the quality and credentials of the recruits as PEOPLE and players who have been brought in.  And look at the Coach's standing within the NCAAW community - very well respected.  And look at the caliber of our schedule.  And yes, Patrick Nero hired her.

Personally, I don't really care who hired her. I guess the issue for me Keith is that at some point this is a results oriented business. So I would ask you after stipulating to everything you said, at what point does GW say the results just aren't there despite everything else. Maybe it's not this year but I guess we are at the point where if not now, when? I would add that this is not a case where GW has no history of a successful women's program. We know we can be successful because it was done here for a long period of time. So while I acknowledge that Rizzotti may have a great resume, at some point performance is going to outweigh the resume. Put another way, could we find another coach who is well respected and brings in great people but actually wins? Just curious as to your thoughts (or anyone else's) on this because you've seen the good, the bad and the ugly here.

Last edited by GWRising (1/24/2020 9:47 am)

1/24/2020 10:02 am  #5

Are the memebers of the team doing well in school? Are there any off-court issues that undermine this team´s ability to represent The George Washington University? Or is the beef that this injury-riddled underclass-heavy team is not winning enough games?
Before we get too excited with our pitchforks and tiki torches, let´s remember that GW has NEVER fired a women´s coach who has hung an NCAA banner in the Smith Center. Is Coach Rizz enjoying the success Joe McKeown had? Nope. But is that a fair comparison?
No, I am not happy that the program is more "mediocre" than "powerhouse", but with two months left in the season I am also not ready to fire up the tar&feather bridgade.

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (1/24/2020 12:30 pm)

Board footera