GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/14/2024 8:58 pm  #81

Re: GW vs George Mason Game

In all seriousness, how many of you really want to invest your emotional energy into a bunch of wannabe mercenaries who are here today, gone tomorrow, and have little or no long-term connection with the university.

If I wanted to root for pros, I could watch the NBA, where there seems to far more continuity in pro sports than there is in college today.

I don’t begrudge any of these kids for trying to recoup their fair share on a money pot that enriches many others on their labor, but geez—why should I care?

2/14/2024 9:06 pm  #82

Gwmayhem wrote:

Go watch your team play on the road and you come to realize that wins are scarce.  I've seen GW win at Mason (last year and in the past), Duquesne, Richmond, and it's really sweet when they do.  Otherwise, you hope the team plays well and is competitive.

Yep. My first GW road game ever was last year at St. Joe's, and they were uncompetitive. I don't know what else I would have expected. Odds were very slim they would not play well, nevertheless win. When all you see is home games, your perspective is skewed.

2/15/2024 9:55 am  #83

Gwmayhem wrote:

Jf, not sure if Bill had a son, but he definitely has a daughter who played for GW as a freshman and then transferred out of the program.

Bill's nephews Jake and Eric van der Heijden play Division I at North Florida and UNCW respectively. Jake played four years at Bucknell prior, and Eric transferred after his freshman year at Ole Miss.

2/15/2024 10:51 am  #84

Merrick wrote:

In all seriousness, how many of you really want to invest your emotional energy into a bunch of wannabe mercenaries who are here today, gone tomorrow, and have little or no long-term connection with the university.

If I wanted to root for pros, I could watch the NBA, where there seems to far more continuity in pro sports than there is in college today.

I don’t begrudge any of these kids for trying to recoup their fair share on a money pot that enriches many others on their labor, but geez—why should I care?

And this sadly and accurately shows what is happening to college athletics. That's why attendance is stagnating or down almost everywhere and most school's athletic departments are struggling. When everyone wants to play for the name on the back of the jersey, the name on the front becomes immaterial. This was all a predictable outcome when everyone started counting everyone else's money and decided that kids getting a 250-300k scholarship and a head start in life were oppressed. When the fan money dries up and the TV ratings decline, there will be a lot fewer scholarship schools and a lot fewer scholarships. The few will benefit at the expense of many. Welcome to the future.

Last edited by GWRising (2/15/2024 10:53 am)

2/15/2024 11:29 am  #85

Article in today's Tennessean headed "Amateurism is dead and Judge Corker should tell the NCAA" by Gentry Estes. Talks about the battle UT is having with the NCAA. The whole system is broken. 

2/15/2024 1:26 pm  #86

Mike K wrote:

Last 5 or 6 games have been tough. Not sure if it is CC’s fault (lack of halftime adjustments are in the JC class), or “young roster”, but something has to change. Players do not look into the game. Minimal passing, minimal effort on some/too many plays, and letting other teams shoot WIDE OPEN 3s.

I missed what happened to Jun. What happened?

I know I’m on an island on this, but I think James Bishop deserves a lot more of the blame than this board has given him. He’s an even keeled guy, but he’s the one hi has to be a leader, set the tone for the young guys, play the hardest, etc, and he’s not doing it.  His final year has been a big disappointment so far.

His 2 pt fg% is a career low this season (down over 9% from last year, a whopping regression), his assist rate is down, his turnover rate is up, his defense is still subpar, he often doesn’t get back on defense after a bad offensive play, and he just isn’t leading this team in the right direction. 

Teams are at their best when their top player both plays the hardest and is a vocal leader.  Hopefully that’ll be the case next year when Jun is the clear leader.

2/15/2024 1:49 pm  #87

Free Quebec wrote:

Mike K wrote:

Last 5 or 6 games have been tough. Not sure if it is CC’s fault (lack of halftime adjustments are in the JC class), or “young roster”, but something has to change. Players do not look into the game. Minimal passing, minimal effort on some/too many plays, and letting other teams shoot WIDE OPEN 3s.

I missed what happened to Jun. What happened?

I know I’m on an island on this, but I think James Bishop deserves a lot more of the blame than this board has given him. He’s an even keeled guy, but he’s the one hi has to be a leader, set the tone for the young guys, play the hardest, etc, and he’s not doing it. His final year has been a big disappointment so far.

His 2 pt fg% is a career low this season (down over 9% from last year, a whopping regression), his assist rate is down, his turnover rate is up, his defense is still subpar, he often doesn’t get back on defense after a bad offensive play, and he just isn’t leading this team in the right direction.

Teams are at their best when their top player both plays the hardest and is a vocal leader. Hopefully that’ll be the case next year when Jun is the clear leader.

I think James is who he is. We've seen James play at an unconscious level and we've seen him struggle off and on for his tenure here. He has always been a sub-par defender dating back to high school. That is nothing new. He is a prolific scorer when his shot is on. He is very streaky and when his shot is not falling he can press. Because he has the ball in his hands he is going to stir the drink so to speak. We need James to return to form or this team will struggle mightily against most teams in the A-10. That said, I suspect James has another offensive run in him. The question is when it will begin.

Last edited by GWRising (2/15/2024 1:50 pm)

2/15/2024 3:17 pm  #88

FQ, I don't know if you're truly on an island, but I do think there needs to be a distinction regarding the point you are making.  It's very important that we separate leading by example as opposed to demonstrating strong leadership skills.  The kind of leader that perhaps all of us would love JB to be is one who is vocal, offers a ton of positive reinforcement, and yet isn't afraid to get on someone when it's called for.  Suffice it to say that not everyone has these natural qualities.  Mike Hall did, Maureece Rice did not.  Both were great players but Mike knew when to keep things loose and when he needed to clamp down.  JB by nature is a soft-spoken guy.  I don't think it's fair to expect him to become more demonstrative if that's just not his nature.  On the other hand, every great player ought to know how to lead by example and this is where I feel your points are well taken.  I won't recap the various examples you've cited except to say that I do feel he simply needs to be a far more positive influence on the court than he has been.  This is particularly something which should organically appear given this being his final season of college ball.

2/15/2024 3:46 pm  #89

Why is Keegan Harvey missing in action? Down 40 points in the first half against Mason and he still sits on the bench. Considering how poorly everyone else on the roster has been playing over the last 7 games, thias makes no sense to me. Hell at 6'11" he might even get a rebound or two. 

2/15/2024 4:14 pm  #90

Your right money. Harvey not playing at all.

2/15/2024 4:22 pm  #91

I was about to ask the same thing. He was said to be ill at some point early, but surfaced for a minute
or seconds in garbage time. If Keegan is able to play, it doesn't make sense to try something when we
are hurting inside (often). Even to give a couple of fouls on a poor shooting big man, at the very least.

2/15/2024 8:29 pm  #92

Merrick wrote:

You know who this doesn’t apply to? James Bishop. He has stayed at GW for four years, when I am sure he would have had many opportunities in the portal. He even came back this year when it really couldn’t benefit him much. He had already graduated and was ready to play professionally overseas. He came back because he was hoping Caputo would bring in guys to help him win. So James is the one guy that has been “loyal to GW,” and yet he is constantly trashed on this board. If I was a young player and saw how the fanbase treats their team’s 3rd all time scorer, why would I stay?

2/15/2024 10:42 pm  #93

I don't want to insert myself too much into the James Bishop discussion right now (although he's been bad in recent games and it's clearly had an impact on the team) but he has not graduated and is a 5th year senior.

No matter what you think of him, replacing his scoring should be a top priority along with getting a bonafide center this offseason. I still think he can win this team games on his own and I hope he finds that gear within the next eight games

Board footera