GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/27/2024 11:03 am  #1

Could Paul VI or Gonzaga beat GW?

Friend and I were discussing this at the WCAC title game last night, Paul VI vs Gonzaga. Neither school could beat GW at full strength with Darren and the rest of the team healthy. But GW in its current form, losers of 10 straight, I think Paul VI could beat them and Gonzaga could hang.

Both schools actually play pretty good defense and are aggressive on the boards. Paul VI can shoot the lights out from outside and can jump through the ceiling. Paul VI would carve up GW's defense with aggressive passing and working the ball around the court. And the Paul VI coach is probably better than CC. He doesn't hesitate to let everyone know how he feels.

Anyway, just a thought exercise. Wondering what you guys think. Always enjoy watching the WCAC title game. Watching some real talent instead of this sorry excuse of basketball we were forced to watch this year.

2/27/2024 11:24 am  #2

Re: Could Paul VI or Gonzaga beat GW?

Stop it! GW without Buchanan and Johnson is still 20 points better (maybe more) than any HS team. Holy shit! I will call Farello so we can have a good laugh about it. My goodness.

Last edited by GWRising (2/27/2024 11:25 am)

2/27/2024 12:26 pm  #3

This is beyond silly.  Jacoi Hutchison was the starting point guard last year for a team better than either WCAC team and he’s bigger, stronger; better now than he was. 

It’s such a ridiculous thing to speculate on. It’s like when people wonder if UCONN could beat the Pistons.

I’m not sure why some fans underestimate the leap from HS to D1, but it’s really not close.

2/27/2024 12:47 pm  #4

I think this is akin to a 16 vs. a 1 seed in the NCAA tourney. Sure, they could beat us, if everything went right for them and wrong for us, but I think we would win 99 out of 100 games.

2/27/2024 1:06 pm  #5

GWRising wrote:

Stop it! GW without Buchanan and Johnson is still 20 points better (maybe more) than any HS team. Holy shit! I will call Farello so we can have a good laugh about it. My goodness.

Really? I don't think GW without Buchanan and Johnson would beat Paul VI by 20. Perhaps beat them, but not by 20.

2/27/2024 2:05 pm  #6

Based on our history, I would stay away from this bet because if favored, I'm not sure we could cover the spread. 
Would it be close based on our 11-2 non conference schedule against 300+ ranked teams? Food for thought.

2/27/2024 2:30 pm  #7

Rising, you really are the Howard Cosell of this board ("I will call Farello...").

2/27/2024 4:18 pm  #8

Gwmayhem wrote:

Rising, you really are the Howard Cosell of this board ("I will call Farello...").

Lol. I've known Glen since his days at Eleanor Roosevelt. He would (will) be amused at this. The whole thing is just so absurd. Alum '04 needs to understand why they call it boys' basketball in high school and men's basketball in college. The strength and experience make all the difference here.

2/27/2024 5:00 pm  #9

GWRising wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

Lol. I've known Glen since his days at Eleanor Roosevelt. He would (will) be amused at this. The whole thing is just so absurd. Alum '04 needs to understand why they call it boys' basketball in high school and men's basketball in college. The strength and experience make all the difference here.

I was reading up on Glen today. He's apparently from NE Ohio. How did he end up in DC?

2/27/2024 5:01 pm  #10

GWRising wrote:

Alum '04 needs to understand why they call it boys' basketball in high school and men's basketball in college. The strength and experience make all the difference here.

What about Mississippi Valley State, the last ranked team in D-1 in KenPom. Could Paul VI beat them?

2/27/2024 5:39 pm  #11

Alum '04 wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Alum '04 needs to understand why they call it boys' basketball in high school and men's basketball in college. The strength and experience make all the difference here.

What about Mississippi Valley State, the last ranked team in D-1 in KenPom. Could Paul VI beat them?

Do not believe so.

2/27/2024 5:43 pm  #12

Alum '04 wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

I was reading up on Glen today. He's apparently from NE Ohio. How did he end up in DC?

Yep, Ashtabula. Think he came here for a HS teaching job after going to Grove City College but not 100% sure.

Board footera