GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/27/2024 7:02 pm  #21

Re: GW vs UMASS Game

Alum1 wrote:

creeksandzeeks wrote:

Poog, I'm a firm believer that a scholarship should be a mutual four-year commitment between a coach, a student-athlete, and a university. Those days are gone. There has been no shortage of tough conversations between GW coaches and members of the men's basketball roster that essentially say that the coaching staff believes their best days will be spent elsewhere. 

In my heart, Poog, your comment is noble and right. In my head, I hope we won't be so naive as you propose as the gap between the haves and have-nots continues to widen.

Yeah….pining for the past and lamenting it isn’t going to bring it back. The fact is, today you have to be ready to manage a roster - both proactively and reactively.  I don’t mind transparency in this area. When Pitino took over St. John’s  he was very clear  at his presser when he took the job that “ a lot of players probably won’t be back.”  It may not be pretty, but that’s what it is today. I do think it would be fairer to tell players we offered you a scolly and we’ll stand by it if you want to stay here and matriculate, but it won’t be considered an athletic scolly and you won’t be playing basketball. Seems to me (rules permitting) that’s a fair was to give some ability for decisioning to the student athlete. So Keegan - you want to stay here for a GW degree, we’re all for that. If you want to go play basketball at  Central Connecticut St?  That’s fine too.

HARD AGREE Alum1-If the “adults” esp the NCAA hadn’t so consistently made then the players walk the purity plank while they got paid cash I’d feel ambivalent.

But if anyone’s concern is there will be a lot of broken hearts and promises before this gets even a little sorted you’ll get plenty of agreement from me.

2/27/2024 7:04 pm  #22

OK BGF, you get to give the attendance number for tonight! Just like old times...

2/27/2024 7:18 pm  #23

I feel like I’ve seen this game before. A bunch of times. In the last month…

2/27/2024 7:24 pm  #24

GW 1-11 from 3. Might want to lay off on the shots from behind the arc.

2/27/2024 7:34 pm  #25

If this is the energy we intended to come out with tonight, might as well have just forfeited.

2/27/2024 7:37 pm  #26

Debacle.

2/27/2024 7:41 pm  #27

Every frigging game I make myself a nice meal, open a good bottle from the cellar and settle in for what I hope will be a nice experience. And every game I wonder why I didn't just heat up a frozen pizza and crack a six of Schlitz in cans and just resign myself to a life of misery.

2/27/2024 7:41 pm  #28

Darren at 75% looks better than everyone else at 100%.

2/27/2024 7:44 pm  #29

Does anyone know how the coaching staff helps the guys focus on development in the off season?  For example do they provide film and statistics and give them a couple of skills and physical goals (strength/weight)?

2/27/2024 7:44 pm  #30

Shooting 27.6%, 5.9% from 3 at the half…

2/27/2024 7:45 pm  #31

Crazy thing is if we were just a bad 5-17 from three instead of a comically inept 1-17, we’d be in this game.

2/27/2024 7:46 pm  #32

Hey! The other team did not score 50 in the first half! Hutchinson made a three! Stretch didn't get in foul trouble. Jun played! No students (judging by attendance) skipped class to watch the game!
If you ignore everything else, that is a long list of positives to take away from the first 20 mins.

2/27/2024 8:00 pm  #33

Team is totally lost. Can't shoot, can't run a play, can't play any defense. Seems like no one played team basketball before. And I thought last year's team was bad. So helpless, so sad. 

2/27/2024 8:01 pm  #34

Now 1-19 from 3. At what point does the coach threaten the next player who takes a 3 with extra suicides?

2/27/2024 8:06 pm  #35

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Now 1-19 from 3. At what point does the coach threaten the next player who takes a 3 with extra suicides?

Unfortunately, Darren is the only player who appears capable of getting inside, and he is getting fouled almost every time.

2/27/2024 8:07 pm  #36

Happy to see ball movement even if it is a little forced at times.  We need the practice--excluding cross court passes.

2/27/2024 8:09 pm  #37

GW Alum, I think the coach has lost the team. The player's don't seem like they have progressed at all. It may be they don't have much talent.

2/27/2024 8:18 pm  #38

So, is this worse than the showing aginst Mason? Certainly one of the worst performances of the season.

2/27/2024 8:19 pm  #39

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

So, is this worse than the showing aginst Mason? Certainly one of the worst performances of the season.

The URI game was worse. UMass is at least a top 100 KenPom team.

2/27/2024 8:45 pm  #40

This season, this team, and its leadership have descended into - as the immortal Jake Tapper said -  a hot mess inside a dumpster  fire inside a train wreck. So disappointing on so many levels, not the least of which is we may be set back now or several years. But we can always hang our hat on this being the  GW team with the highest  NET in its history. We can also regale ourselves with the amazing caliber of teams that we got to witness in OOC while getting ready for the season amd battle testing ourselves. Or the free circus act  we were generously treated to of playing no defense and then running down the court and gunning up a 30 footer, and………

Last edited by Alum1 (2/27/2024 9:45 pm)

Board footera