GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/12/2024 7:11 pm  #161

Re: GW Game 1, A10 Tourney Thread

Just what we need another guy in the front court with no offense and no range and no shot blocking. 

On the other hand we've lost Jameson battle to Ohio State Hunter Dean has been playing sixth Man minutes at LSU

We also have the two best freshmen in the conference and they are both forwards. 

Collectively I do agree that the recruiting in the front court has not been strong enough going back many years and certainly further back than 2018.  Those four guys I mentioned ended up sitting the pine at American sitting the bench at Delaware coming off the bench at quinnipiac Toro barely played on a bottom feeder St John's team. 

Generally this is a program problem that goes back closer to a decade.  There is a lot deeper supply of guards than talented front players it's not a problem unique to GW

3/12/2024 7:20 pm  #162

Joel Joseph wrote:

Uuuuggghhh! Another nail biter. Another game we would have won had it not been for the ref's.
Dead last in the conference. Dead last in attendance. Dead last in alumni support specifically to men's basketball. Nothing will change until we get a new AD. Why is Tanya still here? Forget about men's basketball. Has anybody looked at the overall performance of our athletic department and sports since she's been in charge? Obviously, the administration hasn't noticed.
Time to take a break and get ready for year #9 AD (After Disaster, not Anno Domini).

Do you always shit in the punch bowl at parties, or do you just do that online?  If you're going to talk shit in every single post, at least be interesting, please.

3/12/2024 7:30 pm  #163

Regarding the center position, I wish we would do what Richmond does. They always seem to have a big white dude that looks like he doesn’t have an athletic bone in his body and yet has excellent fundamentals and footwork and is therefore able to consistently produce points and rebounds. I wonder whether they somehow find these guys or are just much better at coaching big men…

Last guy like that I remember us having was Alexander Koul. Or maybe even as far back as Bill Brigham.

3/12/2024 7:33 pm  #164

DC Native wrote:

Regarding the center position, I wish we would do what Richmond does. They always seem to have a big white dude that looks like he doesn’t have an athletic bone in his body and yet has excellent fundamentals and footwork and is therefore able to consistently produce points and rebounds. I wonder whether they somehow find these guys or are just much better at coaching big men…

Last guy like that I remember us having was Alexander Koul. Or maybe even as far back as Bill Brigham.

I'd think that Mooney's Princeton-style offense provides cover to fundamentally-sound stiffs, and makes it a desirable place for those types to land.

3/12/2024 7:55 pm  #165

DC Native wrote:

"Big white dude"? So racial quotas are the reason GW's interior play looked like a claymation short? The lack of "fundamentals" has a skin deep explaination?

3/12/2024 8:03 pm  #166

I REMAIN A JBIV FAN

3/12/2024 8:28 pm  #167

Thank you to JBIV!
I guess the bright side is we are less predictable next season in these situations?
The missed FTs stood out to me today--especially the opportunities to end our scoring droughts  in 2nd half.  And disappointed Max couldn't get to the line more since he is so solid.  Good on Stretch 2/2!
I'm excited about next year with Max, Jacoi, Trey, and Garrett.  Benny and Zam have some good film to inform their off season plans.  One of you indicated that Max is friends with Jones and looking forward to playing with him so I'm optimistic he will be present and present next season.

3/12/2024 9:07 pm  #168

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

DC Native wrote:

"Big white dude"? So racial quotas are the reason GW's interior play looked like a claymation short? The lack of "fundamentals" has a skin deep explaination?

Nice try, but I don’t care what race or ethnicity any of our players are. It just so happens that the Richmond centers tend to be white. Find me someone with those other attributes and I don’t care if they’re white, black, Latino, Asian, Arab, or anything else. Just find me a center with some solid fundamentals and great footwork.

3/12/2024 9:52 pm  #169

DC Native wrote:

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

DC Native wrote:

Nice try, but I don’t care what race or ethnicity any of our players are. It just so happens that the Richmond centers tend to be white. Find me someone with those other attributes and I don’t care if they’re white, black, Latino, Asian, Arab, or anything else. Just find me a center with some solid fundamentals and great footwork.

I would hope that is true. But you did reference the race of Richmond's bigs as a positive and the only players you named are white. (Sonni Holland, Dokun Akingbade, Regis Kundja, Pat Ngomba and Yinka Dare all fit the description, and were at GW after Brigham, and are not white). I really don't want this thread to degenerate in to accusations of racism, so perhaps we all should proofread before posting anything that references race to make sure the wording expresses what we want it to.

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (3/12/2024 9:54 pm)

3/12/2024 10:40 pm  #170

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

DC Native wrote:

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

I would hope that is true. But you did reference the race of Richmond's bigs as a positive and the only players you named are white. (Sonni Holland, Dokun Akingbade, Regis Kundja, Pat Ngomba and Yinka Dare all fit the description, and were at GW after Brigham, and are not white). I really don't want this thread to degenerate in to accusations of racism, so perhaps we all should proofread before posting anything that references race to make sure the wording expresses what we want it to.

If you don’t want the board to devolve into a debate about racism, then don’t suggest that people you don’t know are racist. As for the players you mentioned, none of them fit the type I am referring to. Dare would be much better than that type, but I don’t see us getting another guy like that in my lifetime. If you must have a black representative of the type I’m thinking of, Kevin Larsen would be the closest, although he was a bit more athletic and had solid but not great footwork. Now please, go attack someone else, or you will have successfully chased one of the few remaining fans left of this team off this board (although maybe that’s your goal). If I wanted to be baselessly attacked by sanctimonious strangers, I would rejoin Facebook.

3/13/2024 12:35 pm  #171

Don't take the bait and spiral into a discussion about racism.
GW0509 made a very good point and then our resident expert had to chime in. If you go back to the ML era, we had several big men on our 15 man roster who led us to success (Larsen, Zeke to name a few).

3/13/2024 9:47 pm  #172

As usual, dmvpiranha analyzed our season very accurately, and emphasized our problems with an offense that focused on lots of dribbling and not enough ball movement. I listened today to an account of why Kevin Durant moved from Oklahoma City to Golden State. The analyst said Durant was tired of "stickyball" with the Thunder (too much dribbling) and chose to play for the Warriors and their excellent team offense.

DMV: Thank you for all of the previews and excellent commentary this season!

3/13/2024 9:54 pm  #173

Durant also loves team player Yuta.
Though after Yuta was injured,didn't help with the Suns.

Board footera