GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/19/2024 11:27 am  #61

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal Szn

Martiniboy wrote:Max played like he had transfer on his mind. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some "DNP/not with team" in the boxscore during some A10 games with no explanations for the absence.  

I posted this 12/31 and got blasted by Free Quebec etc because it was New Years Eve.  LOL
He was thinking transfer way back. The NIL deals and whispers in the ear are irresistible. His play dropped way off after he made his decision earlier in the season. Why risk injury? etc

3/19/2024 12:10 pm  #62

Martiniboy wrote:

Martiniboy wrote:Max played like he had transfer on his mind. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some "DNP/not with team" in the boxscore during some A10 games with no explanations for the absence.  

I posted this 12/31 and got blasted by Free Quebec etc because it was New Years Eve.  LOL
He was thinking transfer way back. The NIL deals and whispers in the ear are irresistible. His play dropped way off after he made his decision earlier in the season. Why risk injury? etc

I hope this is incorrect, but admittedly it is feasible.    I suspect that the staff may have very much been well aware that he wasn't coming back and used him accordingly.    How else do  you explain his not starting for the better half of conference play.  You could say that we needed some bench firepower, but that is not how CC seems to operate on teams with no depth.   He plays everyone as much as possible. Don't get me wrong...I like Trey Autry, but he was not yet nearly the talent of Max and was starting over him.  

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (3/19/2024 12:14 pm)

3/19/2024 12:13 pm  #63

H&R..71 wrote:

With all the musical chairs the portal brings, I’m going to sit back and take it all in without getting emotionally attached to any one player.  If the hope is to have “team” ball vs “hero” ball, I’m somewhat relieved that both JB and Max are moving on.  It doesn’t diminish my appreciation for their efforts…they were both very likable. 
Max resembled Kethan in many ways.  Both skilled but stubbornly stuck in their own heads.  Kethan wished he was taller as does Max.  They were tweeners who liked going above the rim at the expense of making the right play. It was them first and team second.
I’m ready for the right pass and the right shot at the right time.  We haven’t had balance in years.  It’s time.

I love this post…spot on with my thinking.

3/19/2024 12:26 pm  #64

We have reached out to UT-Arlington Guard Makaih Williams

He averaged 10.8PPG, 2.9RPG and 2.8APG this season. The WAC Freshman of the Year.

https://twitter.com/247HSHoops/status/1770138240982389013

3/19/2024 12:28 pm  #65

Unless Kegan returns, which I can't imagine he would after playing walk on minutes this season, as of this snapshot in time, we will have nobody on the roster with more than 1 year college playing experience.    The good news in that is supposedly, the biggest leap for a player comes during that second season.  Of course the bad news is that is rarely a formula for success, as generally your better teams seem to use more upper classman.    CC pretty mucy admited that he may have made a mistake in not bringing in more experienced players from the portal, and the only 2 upper classman he brought in (Stretch and Smith) were not so good.   I suspect that the portal shopping menu will look much different this season, as we will need at least one "5" and at least one "4" who can double as a "5".   Buchanan and Johnson both have the size on offense, but Johnson's inside game was lacking and neither seemed to be able to defend a "4".     Add  a Max type 2/3 to what we have now and with the development of Schroeder and Zam, we should be improved.  But this is no easy task.    

3/19/2024 12:32 pm  #66

I am under the impression that Keegan will be returning. Although I agree with the premise of your post and I'm hoping the staff targets more experienced players in the portal rather than doing what they did last year

3/19/2024 1:03 pm  #67

GW has reached out to Florida International Guard Arturo Dean.

13.4 ppg 5.1 rpg 4.0 apg 3.4 spg

Dean was the NCAA steals leader (both total and per game)

https://twitter.com/derek__murray/status/1770088163786068468

Last edited by GW0509 (3/19/2024 1:04 pm)

3/19/2024 5:56 pm  #68

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

446 players now in the portal.  That number will probably grow by time I post this.   When I checked a couple of days ago, there were 197.   

Could you share a link?

3/19/2024 6:00 pm  #69

Alum1 wrote:

Could he play in the Big East at a school like DePaul?

Why on earth would anyone at GW play at DePaul and get humiliated every night? Is the NIL money really better there than here?

3/19/2024 6:42 pm  #70

Alum '04 wrote:

446 players now in the portal.  That number will probably grow by time I post this.   When I checked a couple of days ago, there were 197.   

Could you share a link?

Thomas posted these links earlier in this thread.  I was hoping Barry could somehow make them permanent.

https://verbalcommits.com/transfers
https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits
https://verbalcommits.com/players/trey-edmonds

3/19/2024 6:46 pm  #71

In less than 24 hours, portal numbers have increased from 446 to 553.   I know it is still very early, but I would like to think that if anyone else on GW had decided to jump ship, they would have announced by now.   If a player has already decided, why wait?    Perhaps to negotiate NIL money?

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (3/19/2024 6:49 pm)

3/19/2024 7:23 pm  #72

In less than 24 hours, portal numbers have increased from 446 to 553.   I know it is still very early, but I would like to think that if anyone else on GW had decided to jump ship, they would have announced by now.   If a player has already decided, why wait?    Perhaps to negotiate NIL money?

I think Hoopsfan had it right earlier. If another guy transfers after this week it’s probably because they got recruited over. Although you never know with the International guys.

Btw, Max’s initial portal contacts were released. Wide variety of schools and levels. Hope he doesn’t end up transferring within the conference.

Virginia
Providence
Seton Hall
Duquesne
Richmond
UMass
Nevada
Bowling Green
NC A&T
UNCW
ETSU

3/19/2024 7:36 pm  #73

GW0509 wrote:

I think Hoopsfan had it right earlier. If another guy transfers after this week it’s probably because they got recruited over. Although you never know with the International guys.

Btw, Max’s initial portal contacts were released. Wide variety of schools and levels. Hope he doesn’t end up transferring within the conference.

Virginia
Providence
Seton Hall
Duquesne
Richmond
UMass
Nevada
Bowling Green
NC A&T
UNCW
ETSU

If he transfers up, he will likely ride the bench. And there is no reason to transfer down, since he already plays starter minutes at GW. So I would say there’s a pretty good chance he stays in conference…

3/20/2024 9:24 am  #74

He is giving Seton Hall a solid look.

3/20/2024 11:09 am  #75

I've made a document tracking the offseason with current players and coaches along with every player we've reached out to in the portal. Let me know if there are any errors or changes I should make. I'll be constantly updating it throughout the spring.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aNbyeufISRsFZmJtaoQsAokwGG6vsGo_pHo6TQtUWS0/edit?usp=sharing

We've already reached out to 29 players, which is just insane considering it's been less than 3 days. I recognize reaching out to someone doesn't mean that we have any serious interest in him but the sheer number is jarring. For comparison, last year I counted 26 players that we contacted in total.

So far we've contacted 15 guards, 9 wings, and 5 forwards/centers.

3/20/2024 11:35 am  #76

After last night's game, I imagine the NIL money needed to for guys to play at Virginia just doubled.

3/20/2024 11:49 am  #77

Sorry to see Max go but from some of the whispers that I heard, I can't say I am terribly surprised.    Admittedly, I was disappointed in his performance this year.  At his best, I saw him as being a little bit  of Kethan Savage and Sirvalient, with maybe even a little JoeBam.  He could create shots,was a great slasher and a hell of a rebounder.   Had a very good midrange game too, and a good enough 3 point shot.  Very good free throw shooter also. Unfortunately, we did not see Max at his best so often during the season.   So many poor decisions on the Court.   Too much standing around in the corner hoping someone would throw him the ball.  To much putting the head down and driving out of control to the basket.  And at least once a game, he would throw a pass to an area in the court where there wasn't anybody from either team anywhere in the vicinity.   Would play hero ball too much to my liking and seemed to always look to make the highlight reel play. And his defense often appeared lazy.  Still  not sure if his losing his starting position was based on merit (he was clearly better than Trey) or was a benching.   There were a couple of games where he would not even get into the game for 10 minutes, although as the bench shrunk, he was usually put in around the first media timeout.   My  hope was that Max would stay and be "fixed" during the off season so we once again got to see on a consistent basis the potential he demonstratied after winning freshman of th eyear.   But if he was to return and play the same as he did this past season, then everyone may be better off with his leaving.   Would not be shocked to see him land up in the Atlantic 10.   As the old saying goes, we finished last with him, we can finish last without him

This scares me a bit. We lost a lot of games this year by just a few points. I wonder if this is a new trend of players in the NCAA who want to transfer don't play as well as they could. College sports is becoming too complicated. 

3/20/2024 3:19 pm  #78

Khalil Brantley also in the portal too now. The fugazi "Killer B's" is no more. 

3/20/2024 3:46 pm  #79

Chad Venning transferring from St. Bonaventure. They've had a number of guys transfer and had a whole other set of issues with lack of clarity as to why they turned down the NIT (if they were to be offered).

3/20/2024 5:48 pm  #80

Obviously, Caputo took too many chances this season in bringing in new players. Zamoku-Weluch Ume and Benny Schroeder were too raw to really contribute. Antoine Smith mostly fouled our opponents. Stretch got off to a fine start and then was intimidated once league games began.Coach also should have paid more attention to the fact that he barely played at Auburn and scored literally nothing.Obviously, Garrett Johnson was a health gamble and we can only hope that he is able to contribute next season and beyond. Keegan Harvey is another example of the kind of big man we too often bring in--he couldn't even get in the game when the team was down 40 in the first half against LaSalle or St. Joes. It's great that Buchanan is coming back and we can only hope that Autry and Hutchinson also return. Coach has to do a much better job with transfers and recruits for next season---no easy task considering the way the second half of the season went. Also, all the coaches need to improve in their jobs--literally no significant adjustments were made during the final 15 games of the season! Finally II'm tired of hearing that we can't recruit quality big men. Literally every team we played this season--large or small--had better big men than we did.

Board footera